Arghh! keep blowing fuse # 50! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Question Arghh! keep blowing fuse # 50!

So i got my new cd player today, thanks to ztsdude The harness and everything is good to go since it came from a focus, I go out, take out my stupid stocker, hook up the new one and everything works perfectly. Great right? correct until you remember that you forgot to take the cd out of the old cd player! so i unhook the new one, hook the stock one up to get the cd out, and apparently when i did this, i undid the splice i made for the remote turn on to my amp. I didnt notice till i tried to put the new one back in and i turn it on and heard the fuse blow, and the cd player wouldnt turn on. So I pop off the fuse cover and check out fuse 50 and its blown. Take out the new cd player again, see the wire was unhooked, respliced it, replaced the fuse, turned the key, and pop. bye bye fuse again. so to double check i went through everything again and still blew the fuse. Im contimplating going through 7.5 => 10 but I want to stay safe. Tonight after work im going to rewire the amp and re splice the connections from the remote turn on wire and try it again, but i wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before and could offer any help so i can narrow down why the fuse blows more than a hooker on colfax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Well since so many people posted ill giive a follow up :P

I figured out that it only blows if my remote turn on is hooked up to the back of the deck. if its not spliced in the fuse doesnt blow and the deck works. So now i have my amp wired to a switch and that works fine. Id like to have the remote hooked back up to the deck but i cant figure out why it keeps blowing the fuse, i even tried using a new wire. So if any of you audio wizards (sa_pyrone) can help please do.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
make sure the wire isn't touching any metal on the head unit casing or anything that would ground it out. also, are you positive that it's spliced into the correct wire? triple check on the manual to make sure it is. and what exactly is fuse 50? is it an unused fuse? try to find a fuse that isn't used, like the power sunroof fuse if you don't have a power sunroof (not sure what fuse number) but don't upgrade the size of the fuse. if none of that helps let me know and i can try to think of some other possibilites.

- Scott
Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 AM   #4
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

fuse 50 is for the radio. its 7.5 amp. it was the right wire, i had the remote hooked up to it before i put in the new deck. its the yellow/green wire. i double checked it was spliced right, not touching metal, even replaced some of the wiring and couldnt get it. its weird because it worked right the first time i had the deck in. my brothers friend said my inline fuse for the power isnt big enough but i dont think thats it because it worked before. im replacing the inline fuse anyway because the holder broke, but i really dont want to mess with wiring it behind the deck again unless i know it will work

im kind of liking the switch anyway, ill probably just stick with it.

let me know if you can think of any other ideas or questions.

but fuse 50 is the radio fuse
remote was hooked up to the yellow/green wire
fuse wont blow if the remote isnt hooked up
replaced/rewired the whole shibang
works perfect without blowing fuses when ran through a switch
Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
does the fuse blow instantly or over a period of a min or so? if it blows instantly it should something like a wire grounding out. if you just overload the wire current/heat wise, it will take a min or so to blow.

- Scott
Old 11-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

blows instantly. i guess ill have to try to rewire the wire again, maybe its getting cut on something as a route it
Old 11-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
SQFocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
ok. here is my suggestion. i've been reading this thread for a week now and theres a few things i would try that haven't been mentioned. You never specified what type of amplifier you have.

the 'old' remote wire may have had its insulation stripped somewhere under the carpet and grounding out on the floor of the vehicle. I would've said you might've caught it on a screw, but theres no screws that hold down the trim panels. ... but there is sharp sheet metal behind the deck. when you went to pull out the unit originally, was there any tension on the wire? you may have inadvertantly sliced into the wire.

*try temporarily running a wire overtop of your interior (don't run it underneath) to a fuse in your fusebox. suggestions would include a power roof fuse, or your winshield wipers. this way, you won't have to 'remove your radio' since you say you'd rather not mess with it. but do not run it to the back of the radio.

if the fuse doesn't blow, chances are that your amplifier SURGES and draws too much current in conjunction with your factory radio. thats why i'm assuming when you have a switch wired inline, you can flip the switch to delay the amplifier turning on.

if the fuse blows, and you used a new piece of wire ran without any obstructions, then chances are your amp has a problem. I have ways to check that for you too. so, get back to us.

-john
SQF

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...
Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

the amp is a mtx61000D ive been using it for about 2 years now.

i think the wire got caught on something behind the steering column. i only replaced a section of it before but this weekend ill rewire the whole remote line. there was tension on thew ire and when i replaced a section of it i made it longer so i could lose some of the tension, i probably didnt check back far enough.

i dont think the amp is surging because it has worked fine for a good while now, and it worked the first time i installed the deck.

when i mess with the remote wire again ill try runnin it to a fuse, that was a good idea thanks.

thanks for the help guys, hopefully we can get this figured out. ill update this again in a few days

Bookmarks & Social Networks