2.5d engine swap - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegravity4me View Post
couldn't you just bore out the engine you already have? I don't know, that might be more difficult.

They have a smaller stroke in 2.3 then the 2.5 and smaller intaked and more would be my best guess, I like the idea but who has done this with success and did it like a 2.3L swap... I know someone did a entire swap out with everything but really whats the difference in a 2.0L to a 2.5L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Ford Duratec Engine
Duratec 25
The Duratec 25, or Duratec 2.5 L I-4, is an evolution of the Duratec 23. 'Duratec 25' should not be confused with the similarly named 2.5 L V6 Ford Duratec. The new Duratec 25 is an inline 4-cylinder engine design that is identical to the Mazda MZR 2.5L engine. The bore and stroke have increased over the 2.3 L to 89 mm (3.5 in) x 100 mm and as such now displaces 2488 cc | 151ci. Power has been increased to 175 hp@6000 rpm and 172 lb-ft@4500 rpm torque. It is the smoothest and quietest Duratec 4-cylinder. A Hybrid Duratec 25 will be replacing the Hybrid Duratec 23.
Fuel saving features include adaptive knock control and aggressive deceleration fuel cutoff.[3]
2010– Ford Fusion
2010– Mercury Milan
2009– Ford Escape
It's extremely likely that the D25 has a dual-mass flywheel like the other Dtecs and SVT. It's actually common on large diesel engines and European performance engines. It absorbs some of the initial torque of an engaging clutch so your shifts are smoother. It's also a part that requires replacement when the clutch is changed, and it's much more expensive than a single mass flywheel. It also extends clutch life. My factory clutch is at 140k. The most I've ever gone on a factory clutch is 160k. I'm curious how long this one will last.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
New Wrinkle

Thanks again for the feedback but I just ran across a new wrinkle from the Engine Swap thread.

Apparently the 2005 Focus 2.0d has a unique cam sensor. The sensor from the later engines will not give the correct timing data to the 2005 processor and you can't simply put the 2005 sensor on the new engine. The thread was referring to a 2009 2.0d but I am sure if they changed that engine they did the 2.5d also. It also has a comment that the cams from a 2005 may not be interchangeable.

Anybody with knowledge of this issue?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
There are many years that you can unplug the cam sensor and the engine start and run fine , it would be interesting for people with Diff years to chime in ans say if there Focus will start with out the sensor

I know all the Zetec and SVT will start and run with no cam sensor plugged in (SVT will not run properly because of the VCT with cam unplugged , with my VCT Elim it runs properly tho)

So if people with diff year duratec will chime in after unplugging there cam sensor if it starts and runs right ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

is that a setting that can be disabled in the SCT?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
There are many years that you can unplug the cam sensor and the engine start and run fine , it would be interesting for people with Diff years to chime in ans say if there Focus will start with out the sensor

I know all the Zetec and SVT will start and run with no cam sensor plugged in (SVT will not run properly because of the VCT with cam unplugged , with my VCT Elim it runs properly tho)

So if people with diff year duratec will chime in after unplugging there cam sensor if it starts and runs right ?

Tom
Mine runs fine with cam sensor unplugged, it's a 2.0 2006.
I'll try this on my father's Focus, it's a MK2 2010 2.0, it has the 2nd gen cam type.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
euro-bred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30047
What I Drive: 04 2.3 zx3

FF Reputation: 10 euro-bred Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
I have an 04 2.3. Where is this sensor? I can find out really quick if mine will start and run with it unplugged.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

with it unplugges I would assume the computer handles the motor timing incorrectly with advanced timing, no?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS View Post
with it unplugges I would assume the computer handles the motor timing incorrectly with advanced timing, no?
NO ! The timing is done through the crank sensor the cam sensor information has no effect on the IGNITION timing

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-bred View Post
I have an 04 2.3. Where is this sensor? I can find out really quick if mine will start and run with it unplugged.
On the side of the head close to the end of the cams , very easy to get to

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks