I destroyed the front left wheel and suspension - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
tmucyn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103181
What I Drive: Ford focus 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 tmucyn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I destroyed the front left wheel and suspension

I hit a cub real bad and real fast. Sparks came out of the car, and my front left tire was flat, the rim of the wheel bended.
I put the spare wheel (thanks you-tube), and brought the car (Ford focus zx3 2001) to the garage. I was told that the wheel and the tire could not be fixed, with an estimated total cost of ~$ 500 for a refurbished wheel and a new tire.
I drove few miles with the spare tire, and the car was fine, but I did not go above 45 m/h.
Today I was called and informed that the mechanic during the alignment found that my front left suspension was bent and had to be replaced. This will add a ~$570 to my bill, for replacement of the left front suspension, the labor, and a new alignment.
I do not know anything about car, and I was wondering:
1- Does the price sound reasonable? I do not know which parts of the suspension need to be replaced. They talked about the strut, the coil, and the metal spindle.
2- Can I ask the mechanic to see the damaged suspension? I just would like to see the damages I have done, and learn a bit.
3- I have to pay for the alignment twice. The first when they try to change the wheel and found about the suspension, and then the second once they will have changed the suspension and put the wheel back. Is that normal that I have to pay twice for the alignment? Could they have seen easily that I had destroyed my suspension?
4- My car is quite old (2001,~ 80,000 miles), is it safe to drive with an old suspension on the right front and a new or refurbished on the left?

No laughing, but I am completely freaked out. That is my first car and my first accident.. I just have been driving for 1 year . I am French and have nobody here to help me with that.
Please could I get some suggestion to my concerns?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Benner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77653
What I Drive: 2003 Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Benner Good Standing Member
You got screwed hard on a wheel and tire. $250 max. for both
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
miragesmack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65159
What I Drive: 2000 Sony Edition Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 miragesmack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I wouldn't buy a wheel from them, get a used one for a fraction of that cost. I also don't understand the alignment issue, I would think if you pay once it would be good for a year, unless they don't guarantee that since parts are being replaced. They should not have even aligned it the first time if the suspension was shot, they just wasted their time and your money.

Yes, you should look at the damaged parts, though it sounds like you wouldn't know what you are looking at, no offense meant, so they could easily trick you into thinking it is damaged.

As far as the price for suspension, that part sounds reasonable, although I wouldn't want to pay it. But for the parts, labor and alignment, it sounds reasonable for a shop to charge. Do NOT buy a wheel at that price, you can get a whole set for that price.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmucyn View Post
I hit a cub real bad and real fast. Sparks came out of the car, and my front left tire was flat, the rim of the wheel bended.
I put the spare wheel (thanks you-tube), and brought the car (Ford focus zx3 2001) to the garage. I was told that the wheel and the tire could not be fixed, with an estimated total cost of ~$ 500 for a refurbished wheel and a new tire.
I drove few miles with the spare tire, and the car was fine, but I did not go above 45 m/h.
Today I was called and informed that the mechanic during the alignment found that my front left suspension was bent and had to be replaced. This will add a ~$570 to my bill, for replacement of the left front suspension, the labor, and a new alignment.
I do not know anything about car, and I was wondering:
1- Does the price sound reasonable? I do not know which parts of the suspension need to be replaced. They talked about the strut, the coil, and the metal spindle.
2- Can I ask the mechanic to see the damaged suspension? I just would like to see the damages I have done, and learn a bit.
3- I have to pay for the alignment twice. The first when they try to change the wheel and found about the suspension, and then the second once they will have changed the suspension and put the wheel back. Is that normal that I have to pay twice for the alignment? Could they have seen easily that I had destroyed my suspension?
4- My car is quite old (2001,~ 80,000 miles), is it safe to drive with an old suspension on the right front and a new or refurbished on the left?

No laughing, but I am completely freaked out. That is my first car and my first accident.. I just have been driving for 1 year . I am French and have nobody here to help me with that.
Please could I get some suggestion to my concerns?
Thanks
First of all, welcome to America! Your English is very good; I would never have guessed it wasn't your first language.

The $570 for the suspension sounds high to me...the $500 for the wheel and tire is absolutely bogus - plus, the wheel is refurbished!

I would ask that they not charge you for a second alignment, or you will take it somewhere else. They should have been more thorough from the beginning - that's their problem, not yours. Tell them you will not pay for their mistake.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^ This. They're trying to screw you.

Also, if your suspension is original, your struts and shocks are ready to be replaced anyway. You may want to look into replacing everything at once, it'll be cheaper. And you can get improved stuff if you can wait for shipping.

Also - first year driving, Chapel Hill...going to school at UNC?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
tmucyn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103181
What I Drive: Ford focus 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 tmucyn Good Standing Member
Thank you all

Thank you all for you suggestions and comments. I agreed already for the wheel and tire so i do not think I can do anything about it. But I will try not to pay for the second alignment, and check if the suspensions were original.. I do not think that I will use Chapel Hill Tire again.
Thank you all.

Bookmarks & Social Networks