Titanium Handling Package - Winter Tires - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
clickman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93645
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium HB

Points 173, Level 3
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 clickman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Tire Rack site says I'll have to go thru a procedure to have the car recognize the new TPMS sensors if I buy a totally separate set of tires and wheels (and sensors) for the winter.

They also offer an OEM Ford TPMS triggering tool for sale (add the cost of the sensors and the tool and the price is well into "WTF!" territory).

I can't find anything in my manual about how to get the car to recognize the new sensors. Anyone have an idea of how to do that, short of going to Ford ($, assuming they will even do it) or buying the Tire Rack tool ($)?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
225/55/16 in any snow tire. For the rest, there are a few people in your area who can help you get the job done.

Talk to svtf1417 on here, he works at a tire shop in the Canton area.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,695, Level 38
Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I bought a set of takeoff 17's from a forum member. I bought a set of TPMS sensors from Steve at Tousley. I had some 3 season(@8k miles total) Blizzaks in 17" from my old Subaru.

Now winter is just a 1/2hour wheel swap away...
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
The Tire Pressure Sensors are not required. Save some money!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
hound
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99777
What I Drive: 2012 black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 hound Good Standing Member
so running without the sensors is no problem?will they just beep and buz at start up and thats it or keep beeping and buzzing while you drive?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,319, Level 72
Points: 12,319, Level: 72 Points: 12,319, Level: 72 Points: 12,319, Level: 72
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I got tired of the light on my 2009 Focus so I just bought the damn valve stem ones with my winter package from Tirerack. ~$40 each not terribly bad. I can hang on to them for other uses.
I have a 2013 Titanium with handling package and I ended up going with 195/65/15 with steelies and had them all mounted and balanced shipped to me
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound View Post
so running without the sensors is no problem?will they just beep and buz at start up and thats it or keep beeping and buzzing while you drive?
The only thing you should have while driving without sensors is the warning light on the dash. Most people learn to ignore it, some others place a small piece of black electrical tape over it. Not too long ago, an FF member reported some drivability issues (car went into limp mode) when he did it, but it was unclear whether it was a TPMS issue or not.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
(deleted double post)

Last edited by Geezer; 10-25-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I drove for the entire winter last year without the sensors on the winter tires, and the sensor light rarely came on.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
Cedes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105373
What I Drive: '12 Focus Ti and '13 Focus EV

FF Reputation: 1 Cedes Good Standing Member
Bard - hope by now you took the advice to buy a second set of wheels and not remount tires. I'm heading into my first winter with the Focus Titanium with handling package - I live in northern suburb of Chicago.

I ordered Michelin X-Ice Xi3 in 215/55R16 XL, added the TPMS sensors and bit the bullet and bought the reset tool (got a call from Tire Rack describing the problem they gave me the option of having dealer reset the TPMS senors or get the reset tool - figured the tool was worth buying since you have to do this reset every time you swap the tires).

I agree with you on the look of those 18 inch wheels, they are super hot, and really make the Focus look different and good. I'm there with you 100%. I also love that 40 ratio tire look. Very darn cool.

What changed my mind was looking at wheels and tire sizes. I happen to have a 1999 Mercedes E320 that requires snow tires. Turns out the wheel and tire size is exactly the same as for the Ford - 215/55R16. Given that my Blizzaks are almost 13 years old, I just bought 8 new Michelin's. When the Mercedes gives up the ghost, I can always use those tires on the Ford.

Sorry - long way around to say this - that tire / wheel size actually looks pretty darn nice. Not as cool as the 18's, but boy it is super close. 15's look terrible - way too much tire compared to the 18's.

The other great thing - there are so many different 16 inch wheel designs. Take a look at the Ford website - pull up that 18 inch wheel design, and compare to what is available. There are some wheels that are darn close at Tire Rack. There are also some really similar wheels to the SE alloy wheels.

We decided to change things up a bit for the winter and went with a black wheel and milled silver face on it. I think this is going to hide dirt a lot better. Still have a lot of open wheel look. My Focus is the dark gray, so that black will probably look good. I'm looking forward to mounting these on the car.

Good luck with your choice on the winter tires.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.