2005 SE ZXW - Replacing driver seat belt ? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
PongoDog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 123241
What I Drive: 2008 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 PongoDog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2005 SE ZXW - Replacing driver seat belt ?

My son rear ended a taxi. Damage to the bumper is minimal (paint scratches, marker light and blk pastic insert broken). The impact was enough though to completely lock up the driver's seat belt. It's impossible to retract or extend it. From posts I've read, the "Pre Tensioner" must have fired and the belt assembly must be replaced. I bought a new one this morning at the dealer (OUCH!! $295 with taxes (Canada) - lucky the air bag didn't deploy). Other than figuring out how to remove the plastic cover(s) I don't see replacing the seat belt assembly as a difficult job... but.... the imbedded 'explosive charge' worries me. I am concerned that during reconnection, if inocrrectly done, might fire it off. I have searched all the threads here and Google, but haven't found any tips beyond disconnecting the neg. terminal from the battery (makes sense) before starting.

Is there anything I should be looking out for before reconnecting the battery after I've replaced the seat belt assembly? Any other suggestions/tips would be welcomed too.

Thanks...!

PS - been reading posts here for years! They've been a great help. Many thanks to all - I finally joined and this is my first post. (we have a 2005 wagon, and a 2008 sedan)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I've removed my seats and never had an issue with the tensioner firing. Just disconnect the battery and you should be set.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
PongoDog
Focus Rookie

Thanks Bringler26 ! Good to hear I don't have to worry when I reconnect the battery. QUESTION though... disconnecting the battery resets the on board computer. I've always let my Focuses (Foci ?) idle for 15-20 min. after reconnecting the battery before driving, to let it 're-learn' its settings. Is this necessary?

FYI... (according to other posts) on the 2005, the tensioner is inside (part of) the seat belt wind-up assembly. 2004 and earlier it was on the buckle receptacles mounted on the seat (in the middle between the seats). Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PongoDog View Post
QUESTION though... disconnecting the battery resets the on board computer. I've always let my Focuses (Foci ?) idle for 15-20 min. after reconnecting the battery before driving, to let it 're-learn' its settings. Is this necessary? !
not necessary, ive done both and really havent noticed a difference. Your car will still relearn the same but it seems to be best practice to let it idle...
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
PongoDog
Focus Rookie

Thanks "rambleon84". After reconnecting the battery, I left the car idling for 15 minutes and then took it out for a 45 min. run for some errands.

... installing the new seat belt assembly was a lot easier than I had expected. But now I have a "air bag" warning light on. Will disconnecting the battery again for 10 minutes reset this warning light? Hoping I don't need to take it to a dealer to clear some code...
Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
PongoDog
Focus Rookie

Now I have an "Air Bag" warning light on... I had no warning lights before I started this repair. Any suggestions ?? I replaced the seat belt (pretensioner) with a brand new one from my local Ford dealer. The new one looked identical to the old one. There was only one wire connector. So not much to do wrong.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Hard to say. Seat belt comes in two pieces, the reel that takes up slack and the buckle on other side. At least on earlier models the BUCKLE has the pretensioner in it, you can tell if it has fired by the stalk that holds it up, the stalk gets all distorted as the pretensioner yanks it down to shorten it. The reel on the other side has nothing to do with that but locks with an inertia device that swings in the case of a hard load to lock the reel at last millisecond before an accident.

The pretensioner at least on earlier models fires at same time the airbags do, they are not separate, the signal does them both. Doan know about later ones..............

Once airbag module has been triggered it writes to the chip in module and you must get it reflashed back to blank waiting state or buy new module which then gets flashed also to put out the light. The chip keeps info the lawyers and Ford want to protect clients, them or you.

Light is on because it does not like the new part or system has triggered and needs a reset back to blank.

All this is earlier models, they have modded bag systems several times..........
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
A Ford dealer should be able to read the air bag light (SRS) code, so you will know what the issue is. A typical OBDII scanner(such as they have at various auto parts stores) will not read SRS codes, and therefore will not be able to reset the SRS module.

Bookmarks & Social Networks