Rear Hatch Area: Making False Floor/Storage Areas/Sub Enclosure - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,615, Level 58
Points: 7,615, Level: 58 Points: 7,615, Level: 58 Points: 7,615, Level: 58
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rear Hatch Area: Making False Floor/Storage Areas/Sub Enclosure

Finally got around to tearing out most everything in the rear of my hatch. Seats are gone, spare and tools are gone, along with the foam spacers and carpet. I'm looking to put a solid floor in place that extends all the way up to the front seats, and sits at or below the same depth as the stock carpet panel. The general idea is to install a two piece floor (cut from left to right, right at the rear of the rear doors), with a sub and one or two amps in the front, and storage in the rear. The rear storage will have one or more "doors" so the whole panel doesn't need to be lifted to access it. I'm thinking the best use of space will be to extend the floor almost right up to the front seats (over the foot well), then put one maybe two subs there facing forward towards the front seats. That should give them plenty of internal volume (will likely seal it all up), and no worries about hurting them by putting stuff on top.

I'm not going crazy with storage space, I want a reasonably sized 12" sub and 1-2 amps (for speakers and sub), and enough storage space for a shotgun/rifle, and basic automotive tools. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a small jack (maybe bottle jack?), lug wrench or ratchet/socket for wheel lugs, and a basic driver/ratchet kit for general emergency work. If the spare fits somewhere great...if not I don't really need it. Have 24/7 towing so no need to get myself killed trying to fix a blowout on the freeway or something. The jack will help if for whatever reason I can't get a tow truck...the jack isn't even really required, either.

So, looking for input on how to get this done. My primary concern right now is what to use for supports. Wood will be heavy, and I'd like to keep weight down. I'm also not 100% sure on using a fiberglass floor. Might be too much time/effort to make that up myself (still researching that).

Will post some pics tomorrow when it's daylight.

Hatch Nation #29
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 123,836, Level 100
Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Diamond Plate!
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,615, Level 58
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
OK, can't decide where to mount the sub. First issue is that there is less room in the rear foot well then originally anticipated. Some measurements showed that putting a sub there will be difficult (although not impossible). Another issue is that from what I've read, having the sub fire forwards leads to poor quality. What I'm wondering is this:

- Will mounting the subs in the same position (foot well area) but firing rearward (right into the floor board/right under where you would typically sit) sound better?
- How does mounting the sub straight up compar to rearward?

I don't need the best quality possible, but I want it to sound good. I'm also concerned with the enclosure...if I build it myself it WILL be sealed. I have zero desire to tune a ported box. So going with a ported enclosure will sound better in any given position, it'll be a premade box.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,615, Level 58
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
New gameplan:

Will likely have this sectioned off into four separate panels on top. In the hatch area, there will be three panels, two right on either side that will come inside just enough to get to the spare wheel well, and a third panel that will cover the spare area. The third panel will be hinged where the hatch area meets the rear seat area, to be used for storage. The other two panels will likely be static.

The area directly over the rear seats will hinge as well, right where the rear panel is but opening the other way. It will likely be a single unit, capable of holding a rifle or two, and other similar items. It will not come right up to the rear seats as initially planned...I think instead I'll buy (or make, maybe...) a sub enclosure to fit right behind the rear seat, and have it be standalone. That seems MUCH easier then fitting it elsewhere, and the enclosure itself will likely be significantly better doing it this way. The 1-2 amps will be mounted in the opposite foot well area.

For supports I think I can get my hands on some aluminum angle (1/8" thick) to make a structure for the wood floor to sit. It should be plenty strong enough to be used sparingly, so weight won't be an issue.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14

Fan#: 90253
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn man, that's a lot of ideas being tossed around, you will have to post some pics of the design and the finished product for us to see
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
afinley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100856
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 afinley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Another issue is that from what I've read, having the sub fire forwards leads to poor quality. What I'm wondering is this:

So going with a ported enclosure will sound better in any given position, it'll be a premade box.
A sub in a car is basically you, sitting in an enclosure, with an enclosure. There may be a response difference depending on which direction you point the cone, but there will not be a quality difference.

Any response difference you see could be completely undone by moving your head just a few inches side to side, or a change in frequency of just a few hertz.

The ported/sealed question depends on the speaker. A ported box will almost always be louder, but honestly, the chances of buying a premade ported box that works great with whatever speaker you go with is very low. If you're going to go through the trouble of tearing up your car to do all this work, you should go through the trouble of making the box, too.

I can show you how to design the box based on the speaker if you need help with that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.