Rostra Cruise Control :: 2012-1014 Focus S - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
FoMoCoFo
Focus Rookie
 
FoMoCoFo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Fan#: 118755
Location: Focusville, IN
What I Drive: 2014-Sterling Gray-S

Posts: 10
Points 202, Level 4
Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCoFo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rostra Cruise Control :: 2012-1014 Focus S

So I've been reading with great interest all threads dealing with Rostra cruise kits since Ford has apparently decided to screw costumers with the "S".

The Rostra kit seems like a viable alternative. I'm not a big fan of the column mounted stalk, but I could live with it. The most important thing is that it works smooth. To be honest, I don't feel entirely safe about going with aftermarket on something as important as cruise control.

I would really appreciate some updates from 3rd gen owners who are rolling w/Rostra. Are you happy with quality/performance? Any problems???

Thanks!


FoMoCoFo is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
greatcooglymoogly
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 114051
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2012 Grey SE

Posts: 7
Points 157, Level 3
Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 greatcooglymoogly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I installed the Rostra kit on my 2012 SE hatchback a few weeks ago. I had given up on having stock cruise after several failed attempts at multiple dealerships.

The installation itself was pretty simple. Positioning my 6'3' frame to see & reach back and above the pedals was a little difficult at times. The one issue I did run into was that in instructions that came with the kit, and the ones posted online they described mounting a separate grounding wire, but in the kit I had the ground wire ran into the accelerator wiring harness, presumably to another ground source. I was also afraid that the column stock would be an eyesore, but it really isn't that noticeable.

I tried it out on a long trip this past weekend, and it performed very well. The only complaint I have is that if you are going downhill it cannot engine brake to slow you the way some stock CCs do. Overall though, well worth the $$ in my opinion.
greatcooglymoogly is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
FoMoCoFo
Focus Rookie
 
FoMoCoFo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Fan#: 118755
Location: Focusville, IN
What I Drive: 2014-Sterling Gray-S

Posts: 10
Points 202, Level 4
Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCoFo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcooglymoogly View Post
I installed the Rostra kit on my 2012 SE hatchback a few weeks ago. I had given up on having stock cruise after several failed attempts at multiple dealerships.

The installation itself was pretty simple. Positioning my 6'3' frame to see & reach back and above the pedals was a little difficult at times. The one issue I did run into was that in instructions that came with the kit, and the ones posted online they described mounting a separate grounding wire, but in the kit I had the ground wire ran into the accelerator wiring harness, presumably to another ground source. I was also afraid that the column stock would be an eyesore, but it really isn't that noticeable.

I tried it out on a long trip this past weekend, and it performed very well. The only complaint I have is that if you are going downhill it cannot engine brake to slow you the way some stock CCs do. Overall though, well worth the $$ in my opinion.

Cool... thanks for the info!
FoMoCoFo is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119488
Location: Franklin County, MO
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Posts: 413
Points 578, Level 11
Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFo View Post
So I've been reading with great interest all threads dealing with Rostra cruise kits since Ford has apparently decided to screw costumers with the "S".
How did they screw you? It's not like they advertised cruise control that wasn't there. Though I do think it should be a standard feature these days, or at least a standalone option on the S that doesn't require the SE. Though there are cars even today that don't come with A/C even!
__________________
2014 Ford Focus SE, Tuxedo Black (Sport pkg, 5spd manual)
2002 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Frost (Wifes Car)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Thunder Blue / Graphite Two-Tone
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Romans5.8 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
FoMoCoFo
Focus Rookie
 
FoMoCoFo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Fan#: 118755
Location: Focusville, IN
What I Drive: 2014-Sterling Gray-S

Posts: 10
Points 202, Level 4
Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCoFo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
How did they screw you? It's not like they advertised cruise control that wasn't there. Though I do think it should be a standard feature these days, or at least a standalone option on the S that doesn't require the SE. Though there are cars even today that don't come with A/C even!
You're right, it's not like "S" owners suffered a severe injustice. It's just that, given the otherwise impressive list of standard features, I was surprised (and angered) that cruise was/is not even available as an option.
FoMoCoFo is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119488
Location: Franklin County, MO
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Posts: 413
Points 578, Level 11
Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFo View Post
You're right, it's not like "S" owners suffered a severe injustice. It's just that, given the otherwise impressive list of standard features, I was surprised (and angered) that cruise was/is not even available as an option.
Yeah. The days of options are over. With just-in-time manufacturing and trying to keep things moving quickly and cheaply, it's all packages and maybe an option here or there.

Even the brochures have changed. I remember when I was a kid and my parents bought a brand new F-150. They had a brochure that was several pages with color chips, options, packages, you name it. Even swatch samples of the various seat coverings (though having small children they chose vinyl, haha). Now they sent you this lame 2 page thing that says NOTHING about the various packages, options, or colors. It's like a little leaflet ad for the car. Even the website doesn't tell you much. And, again, you can't get very many options; just packages. As I said before, why can't I have climate control WITHOUT leather seats and all of that other junk?
__________________
2014 Ford Focus SE, Tuxedo Black (Sport pkg, 5spd manual)
2002 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Frost (Wifes Car)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Thunder Blue / Graphite Two-Tone
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Romans5.8 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,812
Points 9,892, Level 66
Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Yeah. The days of options are over. With just-in-time manufacturing and trying to keep things moving quickly and cheaply, it's all packages and maybe an option here or there.

Even the brochures have changed. I remember when I was a kid and my parents bought a brand new F-150. They had a brochure that was several pages with color chips, options, packages, you name it. Even swatch samples of the various seat coverings (though having small children they chose vinyl, haha). Now they sent you this lame 2 page thing that says NOTHING about the various packages, options, or colors. It's like a little leaflet ad for the car. Even the website doesn't tell you much. And, again, you can't get very many options; just packages. As I said before, why can't I have climate control WITHOUT leather seats and all of that other junk?
Because Ford offered climate control as standard in the SEL with cloth seats and Sync with Myford and the take rate was low in the U.S. so they decided that since cars with black leather and MFT sold better they would only build cars with MFT+ climate+ leather. They also dropped many trim and option groups here. But the Titanium Focus in Canada still comes with cloth heated seats and the SE with steel wheels rather than the alloys here. Unlike Europe where most cars are built to order and more options are available.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat