Focus Electric Owners! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus Electric

Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
turbine guy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103088
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Electric Frosted Glass

FF Reputation: 1 turbine guy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Electric Owners!

Let's hear it from the Focus Electric owners. the debates have all been hashed over, many times, now we need to hear from the actual owners. Whats working well, what's not. Glitches? Problems? How has the dealerships been fixing the problems. Are you having buyers remorse, or over the top happy? Where are you located, how is charging station availability and any neat stories about you and your FFE yet?

Robin.
(Yes, I'm an FFE owner, Frosted Glass, way up here in Northern British Columbia. Second FFE sold in Canada, as far as I know.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
G-Man's SVTF
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100864
What I Drive: 03 black EAP SVTF, 06 blue ST

FF Reputation: 1 G-Man's SVTF Good Standing Member
i haven't heard of any on the streets in america. electrics are not selling in the US. people don't want them.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
Ok.... Here is my bit.... I own a 2012 FFE Platinum White. Delivered 5/29/2012. Consumer order #0001. It is an amazing car.

Dealership - The only problem with the car was the sales staff who told me that I knew more about the car than they did. I purchased in NY and drove it 186 miles home to RI. The service intervals are 20,000 miles so I won't be going to the dealership any time soon. The car teaches you about itself and how to drive efficiently on the highway to maximize your battery performance. The car has an AT&T cellular link to Ford so if anything is wrong they tell me on my website - www.myfordmobile.com. To date I have not had one problem.

Electric Range Anxiety. The new American Psychiatric Disorder. I use this car everyday and put on 400 miles a week.. I drive over 100 miles or longer on a single trip about 5 times per year. I still have my gasser for such events. In three months I have been to the gas station 3 times. (Last week I drove to upstate NY, in my gasser, and filled twice.) For the other 360 days of the year I comfortabley drive my FFE all over the place and am saving, on average, about $250.00 per month in fuel costs. There is no Electric Range Anxiety in my house.

In RI there is one public charging station. Very low infastructure. I charge at home and at work. However, in my small state I can drive border to border and get home. I call it the Island Car...

Stories... My best deal/story is the National Grid Electric Company (our electric utility). Before I bought the car, I called Nat Grid and asked them about off peak rates. They said there were none. I told them I have an electric car coming. They took my email and passed it on. 1 week later they called and asked if I would put a smartmeter in my home and offered me a free EVSE. I accepted. My electric company installed a smartmeter, upgraded my barn power panel and wiring and gave me a Charge Point EVSE. Easy $4,000.00 installation. Their goal is to read the smartmeter and Charge Point info so they could plan for the future. Now that's a nice trade.

Sales of the EVSE are slow. It is a process. We are the pioneers on the block. There is no question this will be one of a mix of vehicles people will purchase in the future. Will it be like the cellphone, probably not, but it is here to stay and will get remarkably better. If you have the need, it is a perfect fit for someone like me. And, I congratulate Ford on producing a spectacular vehicle. It is sporty, refined, safe and effortless to adopt to.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
turbine guy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103088
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Electric Frosted Glass

FF Reputation: 1 turbine guy Good Standing Member
Spare: Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for, warts and all. Up here in Northern BC, I'm truly a pioneer, with 0-charging stations available. (I have my own at home and at my business. Yes, I'm listed on plugshare.com, you can see me on there.)
Cool story about your local power utility. Maybe I should try that angle here! The Greater Vancouver Regional District is putting in many charging stations in anticipation of the coming wave of electrics, but so far it has only been a small number of Nissan Leafs actually sold. I don't think Ford has done a good job of promoting the Focus Electric, but perhaps there are political undercurrents at play here that I don't as yet understand. The release of the Honda Fit EV may shake up the whole electric car business, but we shall see. So far, I've had no problems, but my car is only two weeks in my hands, and my commute is short. I'm slowly getting over range anxiety, as my old EV conversion was severely limited in range (Lead acids), and the Focus is a gem in comparison. So far it's all been good.

Robin.

Last edited by turbine guy; 08-27-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hah. sorry guys... I'll get rid of this guy and send someone in to clean up his posts.

neat stuff going on though. curious to see where it goes.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-selling) | '94 Toyota 4Runner SR5 "Roach" (daily-stockish) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car)
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonOvr View Post
I had a spare tire go up in flames once, my truck was hit with an rpg though.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ford is not releasing the FFE like Nissan did the Leaf. You can order an FFE anywhere in the US, but it's only being shipped to dealers in green states currently. There are other electric cars on the market as well like the CODA, but I do believe that as far as the under $40k cars, the FFE is the best to date. Honda is supposed to be releasing a FitEV that has better MpgE than the FFE. If you've got the cash, Tesla's Model S can be ordered with some ridiculous battery options giving it a 360 mile range. That model is around $110k. If you can handle a meager 160 mile range, then you can get into a Muskmobile for around $60k. Li-Ion cars, winner of the EV X-prize, is still planning on producing their own vehicle. Likewise, the much more interesting Perusu is still going to be produced as a ICE, hybrid, and EV. I'll have to wait on that one to see if they make the EV performance oriented- as it should be.

What's not picking up, to my disappointment, is the DIY market. There are still very few AC EV motors out there. There are a ton of DC motors, but the AC motor is the way to go once you understand the limitations of DC. The drawback is that AC motors cost 2-4x as much as comparable DC motors.

Good news for disc/drum ICE owners, Middle TN Univ has invented a hybrid add-on system that will work with any vehicle. It's in the R&D process now to figure out how to modulate the electric assist. Instead of the electric motors fully driving the car when it's moving at low speeds like traditional hybrids, the add-on system simply boosts output at low speeds thereby increasing acceleration and mileage. That's really interesting IMO.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
Ok.... Here is my bit.... I own a 2012 FFE Platinum White. Delivered 5/29/2012. Consumer order #0001. It is an amazing car.

Dealership - The only problem with the car was the sales staff who told me that I knew more about the car than they did. I purchased in NY and drove it 186 miles home to RI. The service intervals are 20,000 miles so I won't be going to the dealership any time soon. The car teaches you about itself and how to drive efficiently on the highway to maximize your battery performance. The car has an AT&T cellular link to Ford so if anything is wrong they tell me on my website - www.myfordmobile.com. To date I have not had one problem.

Electric Range Anxiety. The new American Psychiatric Disorder. I use this car everyday and put on 400 miles a week.. I drive over 100 miles or longer on a single trip about 5 times per year. I still have my gasser for such events. In three months I have been to the gas station 3 times. (Last week I drove to upstate NY, in my gasser, and filled twice.) For the other 360 days of the year I comfortabley drive my FFE all over the place and am saving, on average, about $250.00 per month in fuel costs. There is no Electric Range Anxiety in my house.

In RI there is one public charging station. Very low infastructure. I charge at home and at work. However, in my small state I can drive border to border and get home. I call it the Island Car...

Stories... My best deal/story is the National Grid Electric Company (our electric utility). Before I bought the car, I called Nat Grid and asked them about off peak rates. They said there were none. I told them I have an electric car coming. They took my email and passed it on. 1 week later they called and asked if I would put a smartmeter in my home and offered me a free EVSE. I accepted. My electric company installed a smartmeter, upgraded my barn power panel and wiring and gave me a Charge Point EVSE. Easy $4,000.00 installation. Their goal is to read the smartmeter and Charge Point info so they could plan for the future. Now that's a nice trade.

Sales of the EVSE are slow. It is a process. We are the pioneers on the block. There is no question this will be one of a mix of vehicles people will purchase in the future. Will it be like the cellphone, probably not, but it is here to stay and will get remarkably better. If you have the need, it is a perfect fit for someone like me. And, I congratulate Ford on producing a spectacular vehicle. It is sporty, refined, safe and effortless to adopt to.
What is a typical range for you on a full charge?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

"What is a typical range for you on a full charge?"

My typical range is 80 miles. After a complete recharge the battery gauge varies depending upon the three t's of your last driving experience. Terrain, Temperature and Technique. If I drive very carefully, which I don't, it will register 85-90 after recharging. Very zippy and in hot conditions I have had as low as 69. That being said - the Focus has an odd quirk. When you are driving you can gain miles from the original estimate of mileage. The lower the battery level the more bonus miles it gives you. For example, once per month, I have to drive 83 miles one way on my commute. I have had as low as 77 miles on the charge and I have driven this trip many times. When it starts to get down to 30 miles or less it seems to give more bonus miles. When I finished the trip I will have driven 83 miles and the guage has as much as 12 miles still left in the battery which means I could have driven 95 miles.

I really do not like this feature too much because I am very nervous when driving this commute of 83 miles when the battery doesn't register 83 miles of capacity. If I stall out one day I am going to be really pissss... I know this was a long answer, but it is not like a gas tank. It is an estimate of your available miles. In a nut shell I feel like I can safely drive around 85.

My normal commute is 40 miles one way and I charge at night, drive to work, plug in for the day, go out for lunch and drive home with plenty of battery capacity. At this point in time I have driven 6000 miles in the last three months. At $0.03 per mile it has cost me $180.00 in electricity. You know your own gassers mileage so do the math at $4.09 per gallon which is our current local price. It has saved me alot of money already and I really like the car. Perfect commuter car, great looks and snappy handling.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Thank you!

That's a lot better range than I thought it would get.

When you drive the 83 mile trip, what kind of roads and speeds are you doing?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

"When you drive the 83 mile trip, what kind of roads and speeds are you doing?"

I drive with the AC on, but not on automatic, I set the temperature to 72 and the fan to 2 notches from the lowest setting. Radio on and inevitably several telephone calls and text messages. (I love SYNC!!!) I drive on Route US1, Route 4 and I-95 from Newport to Providence, with a few stop lights but mostly an older 4 lane highway. I set my speed at 60 mph and use cruise control. I stop in Providence for app 1 hour, but cannot charge. I leave from Providence and drive to Westerly, RI on I-95. This is when I get the best mileage. 60 mph, cruise control, no stop lights. I always end up with 7-12 miles left on the battery.

I purchased the car in NY and drove it home to RI - 186 miles. Three charges and longest leg was 91 miles. Now that was a great demonstration of range.

When you buy this car you will develop a level of usage relavent to how far you have to go. It is a great commuter car. My car will probably never leave the "Island" again. I could drive to Boston and areas, but why sweat it. I drive throughout RI and am satisfied with that. Last month my wife and I drove to NY, we took our gasser. I probably drive over 90 miles in a single trip 4-5 times per year. I am not so "religious" that I can't get in my nice Avalon and drive those trips and stop into a gas station 4-5 times per year. LOL In the past three months I have put 6000 miles on my FFE and perhaps 1000 miles on my gasser.

I hope I have been helpful to you. Good luck in your future car purchases....

Bookmarks & Social Networks