Clutch safety switch - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
ExtremeSleeper
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56163
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ExtremeSleeper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Clutch safety switch

Hi guys, this is my second post. Anyways, been doing my search in the forum and was trying to find the clutch safety switch. I have a 2000 zx3, standard. I'm having starting issues. Checked the battery, relays, key starter, etc. Please help and if possible pics, please. Key turns, lights in dash light up, just no engine turning over. Talked to locksmith says nothing is wrong with ignition switch. thanks for the help....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
The bottom cover under the dashboard will probably have to be unscrewed and dropped down to see what you're doing, the hood release can stay attached to it. There is some discussion of the switches in the clutch master cylinder thread, but the switch you're interested in is black and it is the one that is depressed when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down. There is also a red switch which clicks as soon as the clutch pedal starts to move to disengage the cruise control, but it doesn't affect starting. An odd aspect of most of the switches mounted on the pedal box is that most of them are self adjusting. This is done by unhooking the switches from their mounts and then stiffly pulling the plunger out of the switch to reset the length. Then the switch is reinstalled, and it self adjusts the first time you push the pedal down.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
pattywatters
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58189
What I Drive: 2001, liquid gray metallic, ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 pattywatters Good Standing Member
I had the same problem, everything lit up, but engine wouldn't turn over. First, I thought it was my starter.
I took the clutch/ingition switch out of it's bracket and held it in my hand and pushed the plunger and the car started right up!
I drive a 2001 ZX3 S2, but my switch doesn't adjust. I ended up bending the push plate on the clutch pedal so it would engage the switch. I have thought about just overriding the switch with a bit of soldering, but haven't done so yet.
Just get down on your floorboard, and push the clutch pedal with your hand, and watch up by the firewall to see where it hits the switch. There's a little rubber foot mounted on the clutch pedal that hits it. The switch itself, comes out by sliding it back to unclip from the bracket.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
ExtremeSleeper
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56163
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ExtremeSleeper Good Standing Member
Thanks guys,
Just found the Clutch Safety Switch or the lack of a switch. Previous owner apperently did the by pass and hid the cables really good. Stripped the cables a little bit higher and the car started. Thanxs
Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Focussanangelo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93109
What I Drive: 2006 green zx4

FF Reputation: 1 Focussanangelo Good Standing Member
Angled funny

I am having the same problem. I looked under and found the safety switch but the bracket the plastic switch is mounted to is angled to where the clutch has to be completely in the floor (me standing on the clutch pretty much) for it to engage and let me start my car. Any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bend the mounting bracket closer.

Did you notice that the last post in this thread was from 8-31-08? For future help, or for help on this problem, please start your own thread unless you find a thread that answers your question. Thanks for posting!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
djKazanova
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103238
What I Drive: 2000 Gold/Brown zx3 Kona

FF Reputation: 1 djKazanova Good Standing Member
This is great
it sounds like the issue I have
Pictures or video
Please
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
djKazanova
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103238
What I Drive: 2000 Gold/Brown zx3 Kona

FF Reputation: 1 djKazanova Good Standing Member
Yes!!!

This is great
it sounds like the issue I have
Pictures or video
Please
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
thor27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103494
What I Drive: 2000 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 thor27 Good Standing Member
hi, same problem. turn key, dash lights up, can turn on radio, but no start and no sound. I took it to a mechanic before and said it was the clutch switch that needed to be adjusted, but didn't tell me how to do it so here i am a year later trying to figure this out on my own. gonna mess with it some more, but no real instructions in forum. :(

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->