Replacing the starter on a 2002 SVT? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Colorado_Dave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9318
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT, InfraRED

FF Reputation: 1 Colorado_Dave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replacing the starter on a 2002 SVT?

Can anyone help me with advice on replacing the starter on a 2002 Focus SVT? I have not got the car up on a lift yet. Is it easy to get to? (where is it located). How long did it take and is it DIY? Anyone have the service manual pages they could PDF to me? Thanks - Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Dave View Post
Can anyone help me with advice on replacing the starter on a 2002 Focus SVT? I have not got the car up on a lift yet. Is it easy to get to? (where is it located). How long did it take and is it DIY? Anyone have the service manual pages they could PDF to me? Thanks - Dave
I just did this about 4 times in the past month, so i have it down to an art.

The starter is on the back of the motor, its fairly easy to reach once you have removed the right equipment.

You will need to jack up the car. It is alot easier to do if you remove the passenger side axle, but can be done without doing it.

The first step is to remove the battery box. Next, take off the intake, and pull it out of the way. You may also consider removing the IAC valve, as well as the ignition coil bracket.

Once you have those out of the way, you should have enough working room to get at the bolts from the top. There are two of them, and they are both a major PITA. The one closer to the front is bad, the one towards the rear is the worst bolt placement in the history of mankind.

Once the top two are out, crawl under the car and unbolt the cat. If you removed the axle, you can just pull the whole thing out and you will have plenty of room. If you didnt, you will just have to push it aside and try to work around. There is one last bolt on the starter motor side, and the whole thing will slide out. You will need to undo the two bolts holding the wiring harness onto the starter, then its free.

To re-install, just do the above in reverse. Make sure that you get the alignment right on the starter so that it connects with your flywheel correctly.

Its about a 2-6 hour job depending on how familiar you are. Good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks