Sync sux - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by society909 View Post
For $60 per year their service better get a lot better than it is now. 24 hour tech support would be an improvement. And a system that can understand what your saying. I saw another post where someone said their system can't understand the word "yes".
I think a couple of things are getting mixed up here. The thread about the word "yes" was in reference to the Sync system itself and not Sync Services. They are different. As I said earlier I registered for Sync Services when I got my car but have never used it so I can't really speak to the effectiveness (or lack of) of the service. I use Sirius Travel Link/traffic and believe me that option is not without its problems.

24 hour support would be nice. Sirius has 24 hour support but like anything, it also is not without its drawbacks. About 70% of the time I can't understand a damn word the person on the other end of the phone is saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
[QUOTE=society909;4318177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It might appear un-intuitive but they want to verify that you want to use the service as normally they require you to renew it every year at $60/year currently

For $60 per year their service better get a lot better than it is now. 24 hour tech support would be an improvement. And a system that can understand what your saying. I saw another post where someone said their system can't understand the word "yes".
You're confusing the sync hardware with Sync Services, which are two seperate yet linked entitites.

The ability to make phone calls via bluetooth, bluetooth audio streaming, usb and aux input controls through the sync system are permanent features at no additional cost after the purchase of the vehicle with the Sync system. If it doesn't accept a particular command that doesn't make the system flawed if the person issuing the command does not know the list of valid commands. You would think yes would work, and it can, but the command it seems to prefer is Correct over Yes.

I've been able to say yes and the car will continue to do what I've asked, e.x. making a phone call to a person with multiple numbers, or a specific name that it first repeats for verification.

Sync services is an extra cost service that was included as a standard feature for three years and is supposed to offer a way to send turn by turn directions to the car, traffic ,ask for movie showtimes and locations, and other minor features. This required that the owner of the car opt in once per year for the three year free period which was explained on the syncmyride website and should have been discussed with you by the dealer at the point of sale, if they failed to make this point I'm surprised they managed to get the technology delivery allowance for activating your sync my ride account and other owner information.

24/7 Tech support is wishful thinking as I'm not sure that enough people remain subscribed after the initial 3 year period for it to be worth their expense. This isn't onstar constantly tracking and logging your car's every move either.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Sync services suck. Takes forever to call them up, download the directions, then play it back.

I use Google Maps and bluetooth. Problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
Cylander
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97131
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cylander Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by society909 View Post
The world wide web would be a lot better off without jerks like this who has to put someone down just because they think they are smarter than the next guy. Your only making yourself look bad not me.
The real world would be better off if people didn't want to punch salesmen because they can't figure out sync services.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #25
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylander View Post
The real world would be better off if people didn't want to punch salesmen because they can't figure out sync services.
Amen.

Read the g manuals that come with the car, if your salesman didn't explain it then the paperwork would have.

I just see human stupidity here. Partly on sales for not mentioning it, mainly on OP for making a ranting thread about it.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Im a little confused on this. I have the MFT with sat nav built in. From what Im reading, does my Nav stop working (ie giving me turn-by-turn) after three years? My salesmen never told me that. Why is ford charging a fee for that when you can buy a GPS in a store that gives you turn-by-turn with no subsrciption fee?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #27
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
...does my Nav stop working (ie giving me turn-by-turn) after three years?
No. Factory nav. is not subscription based and thus has no expiration.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
Im a little confused on this. I have the MFT with sat nav built in. From what Im reading, does my Nav stop working (ie giving me turn-by-turn) after three years? My salesmen never told me that. Why is ford charging a fee for that when you can buy a GPS in a store that gives you turn-by-turn with no subsrciption fee?
Hey, Burns098356GX -

To confirm, Kabigon is correct, your factory navigation system will function for the life of your vehicle. Updated SD cards (map data) will be released from time to time, but I can't speculate on how they'll be obtained yet. SYNC Services is free to the original owner on select models for 3-years. If you wish to subscribe after that, it's only $60 a year. Other than providing turn-by-turn directions, SYNC Services also offers news, traffic, weather, sports, and more! For more info, check out:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync

Let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hey, Burns098356GX -

To confirm, Kabigon is correct, your factory navigation system will function for the life of your vehicle. Updated SD cards (map data) will be released from time to time, but I can't speculate on how they'll be obtained yet. SYNC Services is free to the original owner on select models for 3-years. If you wish to subscribe after that, it's only $60 a year. Other than providing turn-by-turn directions, SYNC Services also offers news, traffic, weather, sports, and more! For more info, check out:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync

Let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

Jaclyn
The website says only available in the US.
Now I know why I was confused about why I've never heard of these services.

Winning.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #30
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
I won't be renewing my SyncServices when it expires, it just doesn't provide anything that is useful enough to warrant the cost.

The turn by turn directions works well enough but is very slow to recognize and recalculate directions if you miss a turn. It suffers the same issue as google maps on a cell phone, it requires a cell signal to get directions or to recalculate.

Another thing I have noticed is it seems it is always using your phone to communicate with sync services even when you aren't using them. My wife is the primary user of the Focus. Before we got it she typically used about 1/2 her data plan each month. Since owning the Focus she is using close to all her plan and went over enough times that we bumped her to the next plan.

We use an app on our iPhones called GPS Drive. It stores maps on the phone so you are not at the mercy of a cell signal and it allows you to stream music via Bluetooth while you are driving and interrupts the music when voice prompts are given. It actually has an advantage over a dedicated gps in that the maps are always being updated. The iPhone fits right in the space infront of the sync screen too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks