Sync sux - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by society909 View Post
I hate this sync system and I want to punch out the guy who said I won't need a gps.
Yep - a salesman I talked to explained that SYNC Services was free for 3-years and then $60/year.

He didn't mention that it needed a cel phone and therefore you also got charged airtime and minutes with it.

If I'm going to do that, I'd just use Sygic or Google Navigation with an Android phone or buy a $100 Garmin with lifetime map updates - either option also shows me a map rather than just saying turn right when I see Street X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by society909 View Post
I want to go back to the dealer and punch the salesman who told me that if I have sync I don't need a gps. I hardly ever use sync except when I go on a trip out if town. And I wasn't planning to go out of town but we had a death in the family and had to go to Kentucky for the funeral. So here I was in Bowling Green Kentucky in the middle of the night lost and hit the sync connect button to get directions. Instead of an operator I get a recording about how great sync is and demos of somebody else using sync. I don't need a damn demo I need directions what happened to the free three years use we are suppose to get I found an 1-800# on the screen to call for support but they were closed. Damn Sync. So the next morning I log on to syncmyride.com to find out what the problem is and apparently after one year of service I have to re register with them to get the next two years service I didn't get an email or nothing from sync telling me that at the end of the year how was I suppose to know I had to re register the crap. Later after re registering I tried to get directions to the funeral home I still get the same bull s*it recordings. I had to call the 1-800# again to get that strained out this time I was using a different phone number than the number that sync had listed was the excuse I was told. Again I didn't know we have to register each # with syncmyride.com or it won't work all of this you have to do from their web site and not from the car. Damn sync. Now going home trying to tell it to give me directions home( a saved point) it couldn't understand what I was saying I tried saying the address it couldn't understand I had to connect to an operator. Damn sync. Than later trying to get a traffic report through Atlanta Ga. After repeating Atlanta Georgia sevaral times than connecting to an operator I was already stuck in a t
raffic jamb. Damn sync. I am American born and raised I speak plain English but this system can't understand anything I say to it but it works fine when I use it to tune to a radio station or something simple. I hate this sync system and I want to punch out the guy who said I won't need a gps. Damn sync. I am glad l am not paying for this crap.
On the good side the Focus ran great and I got between 34-35mpg the whole trip doing at least 75mph.
this was happening to one of my recent customers that came in saying that there services was acting up. I went out with their phone and it started doing a walk thru and did not connect to the services. When I connected my phone (which has a current sync services account), I had no issues in their car getting directions and such. i would say that none of this is sync's fault, rather your salesman who should know this and should have informed you of this at the time of purchase.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14

Fan#: 90253
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylander View Post
It's good to know you speak plain English, because your sentence structure leaves a lot to be desired.
I almost just spit out my drink reading this, well played
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Yep - a salesman I talked to explained that SYNC Services was free for 3-years and then $60/year.

He didn't mention that it needed a cel phone and therefore you also got charged airtime and minutes with it.

If I'm going to do that, I'd just use Sygic or Google Navigation with an Android phone or buy a $100 Garmin with lifetime map updates - either option also shows me a map rather than just saying turn right when I see Street X.
Do you have MFT? I have sync, MFT w/NAV. I did register w syncmyride, but I didnt have to do that to use the NAV...and you shouldnt have to... the MFT,nav option is like a $2000 package and requires no other cost. It displays a map on the display just like any other GPS.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

It seems un-intuitive to me that you have to re-register anually to keep using a FREE (for 3-years) service. I could see maybe sending you a notice asking if you want to manually cancel the service if you hadn't used it.

I doubt the OP has the Nav package.

If the question was directed at me - I have a 2002 without the NAV package, but am looking at the 2013's - but without NAV.

But you somewhat confirmed my point for me: First off - the NAV package is buggy to me - there is a 102 page thread on MFT reporting various lockups and re-boots required when the system is used. Secondly - even if it worked perfectly - it's a $2000 option, with I believe a $200 fee for annual map updates. I can buy a VERY NICE Garmin (say the 2555LMT) with lifetime maps for the cost of the UPDATES. Google Navigation on an Android phone is free except for the airtime, and Sygic is around $50 with lifetime maps and doesn't use airtime if the phone has a GPS chip.

No offense to those who bought the Nav system, and I do see the advantage of having a built-in system in the middle of the dash that will interrupt the radio (although the Garmin/Android approach has the advantage of being used in ANY car, not just the primary vehicle).

If Ford ever brings AppLink to the Focus MFT, users could have the best of both systems.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
It seems un-intuitive to me that you have to re-register anually to keep using a FREE (for 3-years) service. I could see maybe sending you a notice asking if you want to manually cancel the service if you hadn't used it.
It might appear un-intuitive but they want to verify that you want to use the service as normally they require you to renew it every year at $60/year currently.

It makes sense for them to request it from the standpoint of verifying that during the trial period it would allow them to confirm usage and or an interest in using the system.

Unless you're looking for a 2013 with MFT you don't get the complementary 3 years of service any more either as far as I know it's been removed from cars with sync w/myford for 2013 as they have been limited to the base SE and possibly the base S can get an optional sync elements system now also.

If you don't use it in the first place why should they continue to provide a service that isn't being used?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Valid points - although I don't think it costs them anything if the service is not being used and it would seem like when you initially registered they could flag your account to send a renewal flag just before 3 years from date of purchase.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 2013's not coming with the 3-years of service. We were initially looking at a 2012 and are now looking at a base 2013 SE, but didn't think to ask if Sync services were still included.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
society909
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87052
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 society909 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=suss6052;4318165]It might appear un-intuitive but they want to verify that you want to use the service as normally they require you to renew it every year at $60/year currently

For $60 per year their service better get a lot better than it is now. 24 hour tech support would be an improvement. And a system that can understand what your saying. I saw another post where someone said their system can't understand the word "yes".
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
society909
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87052
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 society909 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylander View Post
It's good to know you speak plain English, because your sentence structure leaves a lot to be desired.
The world wide web would be a lot better off without jerks like this who has to put someone down just because they think they are smarter than the next guy. Your only making yourself look bad not me.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

The WWW would be a lot better if everyone used proper sentence structure also, but it's probably asking a bit much - one can hope, though ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->