New car WTF's....any insight?!?!?! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Man... after reading 3 threads today on 2012 complaints, I am REALLY glad I have an 06...
Just because people come on here to complain doesn't mean that the car is inherently flawed or broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I know, I just have extremely little patience with things not working the way I expect them to on brand new purchases. I expect things to work right, if they're new, for at least a year or two lol. And I didn't say anything against the car! I just like my 06 :P and it seems like there are a lot of small annoyances that would drive me nuts!

I'll retreat back to the 1st gen discussions now... not trying to start a flamewar lol Good luck to the OP
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like I might need to un-pair, then re-pair my phone and try again to see if the disconnect lag goes away. I've been doing some reading, and it appears to have fixed a good deal of problems for others. :D :D
Forget about talking on the phone while driving. The best way to enjoy your Focus is to just cruise along without someone else's "blah blah blah"to ruin it ya know ?

99 % of people that you see chatting it up while driving are actually saying NOTHING that is important. It's a scientific fact.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
ProperStance
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102132
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ProperStance Good Standing Member
BTA can be accessed by

1) "End" phone sync (still is sync'd, just not activated exclusively)
2) Menu
3) Sync Media
4) Choose Source
5) Scroll over to the right a few to BTA.

Done.

Few steps that are simple enough once you get used to it. The same as choosing a radio station or going through a menu on some high end units.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
ProperStance
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102132
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ProperStance Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
Forget about talking on the phone while driving. The best way to enjoy your Focus is to just cruise along without someone else's "blah blah blah"to ruin it ya know ?

99 % of people that you see chatting it up while driving are actually saying NOTHING that is important. It's a scientific fact.
Or...allow people to do as they wish if they are not causing harm to you or others around them. If they want to babble on about nothing a days hard work with their significant others or parents...that is their choice to make. I quite like talking to a select few on my ride home as our schedules allow us to do so.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the reponses! Here are some thoughts I've had.

On the "Lauch Idle Feature".....I still see this as unecessary, I've had drive by wire on the RX8, and my Yukon. Neither was any more "laggy" than any of the previous cable driven cars I've owned. In my experience throttle response is far more dependant on motor and intake setups than how the throttle is actuated. While unnecesary, it certainly isn't hurting anything, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

The Green Leaves Game.....Aparrantly my wife drives much less aggressively than I do. She took the car to a friends house for a few hours last night. About a 25mi trip one way. I got in the car this morning to find the average MPG raised by almost 2mpg, and all 3 of the "flowers" with at least two leaves showing. My "speed" is usually always full, but it lost a leaf, while the others both gained a leaf. Weird. Another "neat" feature that I won't be paying a ton of attention to.

Sync BT Audio.....I found it in the menu's finally. I don't know why they didn't "hide" it under the SYNC Audio menu, but rather under some other menu that is a level deeper than it probably needs to be. I finally got "Vicky" (What my wife calls the SYNC voice) to understand me when I say "Bluetooh Audio" so it's not a huge ordeal. Knowing where it is though will be nice when we've got other people in the car and I don't want to talk over the existing conversation.

The Wonky dash/floor/defrost Vents......I spoke to my salesman last night, and he didn't think it was correct either. We grabbed the keys to 3 other Foci on the lot, and went to see what they did. Out of the 4 cars, two exhibit the "problem" two did not. 50/50 split, great. Hope I have a better than 50/50 chance of getting it "fixed". I'll be setting up an appointment for next week. I need the alignment checked as well (more on this in a moment), hopefully it's an easy fix.

I have two other "issues" that I'm curious about now.

SYNC Menu "animations"......is there a way to turn these off? Especially in the drivers information display. Sure would be nice if the menu would just change, instead of getting smaller, sliding to the right/left, then getting bigger. It's another "neat" visual effect, but makes me spend too much time watching the display change instead of just displaying the information I want to see. Can we turn those off, or is it hard coded into the system?

Weird Alignment, or small car/tire trait??......I've noticed the last few days that the car is grabbing the lines in the road rather aggressively. We have an expressway here in town (I-264) that I travel on a regular basis. The road was smoothed a few years back by grinding the top layer of concrete smooth. This left a ton of little lines in the road, and the car seems to be following those really aggressively. Enough that I've felt the need to counter-steer a few times to make sure the car stays in the lane. This is the first "small" car I've owned, and the first time I've ever had a set of tires skinnier than 235's. I've driven cars this small before, but never on a daily basis. You guys think this might be a problem with the alignment (I had an S10 do this once when I swapped to 275/40/17's in the front, and a revised alignment cured the problem), or do you think it's just a trait of the smaller car with skinny tires?

Also, one final thought. To those that think there are a ton of "problems" or "Complaints" with the '12 Foci. I'm not necessarily complaining about these issues, it's more of a quest to understand what the car is doing, and how to operate it properly. Each car is different, and just like a new pair of shoes, it needs work from both your feet conforming to the shoe, as well as the shoe conforming to the foot. I'm just trying to get as "snuggled in" as best I can, and adjusting what settings I can to best suite my needs and driving tastes. I do really like the little car overall. Especially considering the amount of car I go for my $17k!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Asphalt Grooves - I doubt it's an alignment issue - I've had it previously on some cars, most likely a combination of narrow tires and poor tread pattern design (Firestones, I remember being particularly bad, IMS, but I probably wouldn't run ContiProContacts if they didn't come on the car either.)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Asphalt Grooves - I doubt it's an alignment issue - I've had it previously on some cars, most likely a combination of narrow tires and poor tread pattern design (Firestones, I remember being particularly bad, IMS, but I probably wouldn't run ContiProContacts if they didn't come on the car either.)
I had thought it might be tire design. Our Audi A4 has Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it (235/45/17's I think) and it's solid as a rock through the same section of the highway. I saw the Conti's on the Focus, and figured they were a good starting tire. Maybe not so much?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
but I probably wouldn't run ContiProContacts if they didn't come on the car either.)
TRUTH. Mine does pull quite a bit as well, because of paint and grooves. I imagine it's the narrow tire.
-My car also pulls left really hard on the highway...GRRR

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I had thought it might be tire design. Our Audi A4 has Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it (235/45/17's I think) and it's solid as a rock through the same section of the highway. I saw the Conti's on the Focus, and figured they were a good starting tire. Maybe not so much?
You're correct--it's a tread pattern issue, not a width issue. I've driven many cars with much narrower tires than these that don't pull in road grooves. I've owned tires in the past that have had this issue, and they have all had the common trait of deep, circumferential grooves. The issue usually reduces as the tires wear.

I don't think these are bad tires for stock on an economy car. They handle fairly well, are very quiet, and have good wet traction.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks