Engine System Fault - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Bruce123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102890
What I Drive: 2005 Zetec 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 Bruce123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine System Fault

Hi all,

This is my first post here :)

I own a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate 55 reg (in the UK this means it was first registered in the 2nd half of 2005), I purchased it 2nd hand around a year ago.

It's been fine up to a couple of weeks ago, when a message appeared on the dashboard "Engine System Fault", it then said "Speed Limited".

I turned the engine off and on (as you do) and this resolved it, but the problem recourred at the weekend and this time turning off and on didn't help and I had get home on limp home mode (avoiding the Motorways).

On Monday it was fine. I tried to read off the fault code using the old trick of pressing and holding the select button on the indicator stick, but this showed that there were no fault code logged. But the car wasn't experiencing the problem at that time (and I was unable to reproduce it).

I decided to take it to the local dealer today to run a diagnostic, and they rang me to say that the air valve throttle assembly needed replacing and that it wasn't uncommon, cost = 486 (inc 86 for the diagnostic). I decided to just pay for the diagnostic (I checked the cost in advance). I assume that Ford have a way to read off a log of old error codes?

I really don't want to pay this amount. I opened the bonnet and had a quick look at the throttle valve assembly and re-seated the plug (it seemd to be fitted ok with no sign of corrosion). But I did notice some cables (in black plastic cover) which had been resting on the assembly had been worn down quite a bit to the point that the black plastic cover had worn and the cable insulation had also worn so that the copper was just visible.

I carefully moved these cables away of the assembly and just tried driving the car again, but this time the problem ocurred almost as soon as I drove off, but after turning the engine off and on it didn't return.

My question is, could the wear on the cables be the cause of this problem?

Would it be easy to replace the assembly myself and would a ford part be recommended?

Can the assembly by refurbished by myself?

Could there be another cause?

Should I get work done by a local garage (cheaper)? The problem is the Ford dealer only gave a verbal diagnosis and didn't hand me any printed confirmation of the outcome of the diagnosis (e.g. the fault code) or an itemised quote for the work (I assume this is because they don't want me to go to another garage using gtheir diagnosis). But, as I see it I paid 86 for the diagnosis, so they should have given me a printout at least.

Any advice is appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bruce.

South Yorkshire.

England.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
tupic310
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102319
What I Drive: 2002 silver focus

FF Reputation: 1 tupic310 Good Standing Member
yeah if i was in your situation, i would just replace those worn out cables myself. not saying that is the problem but it seems like it is definitely causing some trouble. i always do my own work on my focus except for that one time my clutch was slipping lol
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Bruce123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102890
What I Drive: 2005 Zetec 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 Bruce123 Good Standing Member
Thanks that's what I'm going to try.

Update: My fault code reader arrived, ordered on eBay. But it was unable to read the code because the fault wasn't there and I was unable to get the car to reproduce it. Found out that some code readers can read off the history of faults ("pending fault"). So I just placed an order for another code reader which can.

But as for the fault I am going to do something about the damaged lumes and cables and see if the problem recurs.

Bruce.

Send from Android

Bookmarks & Social Networks