Sputtering acceleration - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
The duke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103195
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus

FF Reputation: 1 The duke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sputtering acceleration

I was told my car would learn my driving habits. I've had my car for about 8 months now and my car still sputters when I take off from a stop sign. Especially with the AC on. I have read several threads and most of them say it will go away. But I don't have a heavy foot, and I've put 16,000 miles on my car in 8 months....how long does it take for this to go away????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Try using better gas.
Midgrade will get less issues and better gas mileage a bit.
Premium even better acceleration.
I use Premium.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
The duke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103195
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus

FF Reputation: 1 The duke Good Standing Member
I think this has something to do with the focus gas saver idle when stopped. At a stop sign my car idles lower and when I take off it sputters. I also have a ford fusion and this car uses the same gas but doesn't have that lower idle and have no sputtering problems when taking off. Thanks Elizabeth but as much as I drive for work and gas prices as high as they are $4 a gallon for regular. I'm hoping for a better fix
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
And you haven't taken it in for it to be looked at and/or had the "update" for the tranny? It was and has been covered over and over in all those "threads you supposedly read". Get after it son!!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The duke View Post
I was told my car would learn my driving habits. But I don't have a heavy foot, ...how long does it take for this to go away????
I think it takes a heavy foot to make the car learn. I had the latest version 4.0 installed in mine and after a couple of tanks was starting to get mad. Then I read some post about doing several hard accelerations, which I did. The low speed parking lot and initial movement issues immediately improved. I think the computer needs to see the full range of possible operation/acceleration to make a good map. If all it sees is partial throttle it can't complete the picture. I already use premium fuel and have for some time so that wasn't it, but I highly recommend premium, preferably Shell V-Power. It really doesn't cost more since you will usually experience an increase in MPG to offset the initial higher price at the pump.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
FFSEL
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103277
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Ford FOcus

FF Reputation: 1 FFSEL Good Standing Member
My car does this as well. I have the 2012 SEL Focus, love it but it sputters when accelerates. I took it in to my dealership and they "updated" the calibration (within the transmission). It still makes the sound so Im wondering if its because I have to break it in or like someone has noted above, the car adjusts to your driving habits...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
jnunez011
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103152
What I Drive: 2004 pitch black svt

FF Reputation: 1 jnunez011 Good Standing Member
i have a 2004 ford focus svt and it does the same thing when i have the ac on on take offs it sputters right until im shifting to 2nd gear,and with out the ac it does it but not as heavy, i took it to the mechanic i changed the timing belt, cams aligned cause one was off, and then they checked the VCT selenoid and unplugged it and the car ran good with out it but with no power but no sputtering so they replaced the VCT selenoid, it was running good until about 2 days ago its doing it again, i think the selenoid is bad cause it has oil in the electrical connections, dont know i this helps on your case
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
the throttle Electric?> Controled by the computer?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
NCFocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103684
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 NCFocus12 Good Standing Member
Premium gas burns slower and thus, nets better MPG. I was surprised and somewhat shocked to read the language in my 2012 owner's manual post-purchase, that better performance can be achieved with premium. This is sort of the opposite of cars that "require" premium, such as MB, which will run on 87, albeit with retarded timing. This engine apparently is set up the same way, and I *suppose* in the name of marketing and EPA ratings, Ford has simply chosen to advertise the "retarded" specs and requirements, much the same way as they apparently chose a dual-clutch trans in the name of MPG. Everybody is reaching for 40MPG in the compact marketplace.......not surprised to learn that reality is different than what is stated by Ford advertising. I plan to run 93 at my next fill, due to the same stumbling issues, and also, to see just how much more MPG I can achieve on premium.

Some of you may choose to take it one step further, like I'm going to do, and run ethanol-free gas. I have seen MPG increases of roughly 1.5% running non-E, so I'm, hoping for 3-5% in total gains running non-E 93.

You can find stations here:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Bookmarks & Social Networks