anyone successfully gotten lemon law to take care of ford focus 2012 tranny problems!!! - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #121
Et cetera
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117795
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 2L TDCi 163PS (MPS6 DCT)

FF Reputation: 1 Et cetera Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusNoMore View Post
I went to arbitration with Ford this Fall for my 2012 Ford Focus with the bad trans type, used the BBB. When it came down to it all I was granted was an extended warranty. I had already purchased one when we bought the car, so not helpful. Same problems as everyone else. Reprogram then shutter, decelerate without warning, jerking really bad, rolling back, not shifting when it should. Reprogram, same problems. Replace internal clutches, reprogram, same problems. Although my car did not apply for the lemon law in WI, I found out some really interesting things from Ford.

Ford admits the problems are "Design Issues" They also say, in regard to the Adaptive Learning of this Transmission, "While it is true that there may be times or CONDITIONS when the vehicle adapts to the driving conditions or the driver's style in a way that does not suit the driver, there are two ways to address this concern. The fist is to change the manner in which the vehicle is driven. Smoother stops and starts and gentler handling at the shift points will allow the vehicle, over time, to reset to smoother mannerisms. The second is to have the "Keep Alive Memory" or KAM, cleared and driving cycles performed to "teach" the vehicle a smoother handling. Ford would note that this is much like having an alignment done on the vehicle. The vehicle is "set" at the factory, but driving conditions may have an un-desirable effect on the performance of the vehicle. In the case of an alignment, the vehicle needs to be properly maintained by the customer and be brought back into alignment; this is not warrantable in that is specifically excluded from warranty as maintenance. With the transmission issue, the vehicle will return to a smoother function over time if the driving style is less aggressive. Otherwise the vehicle will have to be addressed and reset more quickly through the procedures above."

Now, the last issue I had with the car in July was after a reprogram. I was merging onto the highway and took my foot off the pedal but the car continued to accelerate instead of coast. While in arbitration I found out that the car holds 250 miles of memory that the adaptive learning analyzes and then adjust the transmission to create smoother mannerisms. In my case I live near a lot of roundabouts, so I am on and off the gas quickly only because you have to be in order to merge into the roundabout. For this instance the car analyzed my driving which was based on the driving conditions near my house. I work from home and don't drive far otherwise. My clairvoyant car said, because she has coasted, and then accelerated quickly many times in the past, I think she wants to do that this time, so I will just keep accelerating when she takes her foot off the accelerator. :-O Seriously. Ford is now saying that for the rest of the time I, or anyone else with this transmission who has these problems, own this car I will have to repeatedly bring this car in for reprograming "alignments" when I start having these issues after a reprograming. So should I move somewhere where the driving conditions are easier on this car so I can drive it without having to worry about it accelerating on its own, or decelerating on its own? Also during the inspection the inspector parked the car on a hill and put it in drive. The car rolled back a few seconds, caught, then rolled back again for a second, caught, and then continued to freely roll back down the hill... while in DRIVE!. Ford had mentioned that if you are a two footed driver, which I am not, that driving this car with two feet can cause drivability concerns. Well if I park the car on a moderate incline I will have to drive with two feet in order to keep the car from rolling back. So many contradictions in their responses. They said all the issues I have had are warrantable, but later say the fix, reprogramming, for it is not warrantable. Ford said all the problems are normal characteristics of this car, and because the problems are intermittent (as Ford said in TSB-13-04-05 and 13-04-09) and the car was just reprogramed with very little memory to analyze the car drove fine for the inspector.

No where in the Owners Guide is there anything in the maintenance section that states the car has to be reprogrammed, nor does it say if more than one person drives your car it will effect the way the car drives, nor does it say that depending on the driving conditions where you live the car will adjust however it decides. The manual says nothing about having to learn how I drive, or that it makes driving decisions for me. Re-fricken-diculous! Ford wouldn't help me, the dealership I bought the car from only gave me a slightly above average trade on Fords car with "Design Issues" I am out at least $6000 if not more. I'm tired.... :O( Wish I had the time and energy to help everyone to bring a class action suit, not under the lemon law, but as a marketing and product liability suit. I'm trading this POS dangerous car. The dealership is well aware of all the problems with this car. I have had at least 2 near accidents with this car because of decelerating, roll backs, and unwanted acceleration. The car sat at the dealership from July-October because I will not drive a car that is not safe to drive. The "Design Issues" Ford admits to are the original programming design of the powertrain, and it changes every time you get in and drive. Scary huh?

P.S. : Ford also said the reprograming updates they send out are like when you get an update for your PC. Ok, great... so my computer crashes because of faulty programing and I lose all my files, no biggie that's what I keep backup files for. If my car crashes because of faulty programing, huge deal!! If I am lost in a crash there is no backup of me, or my husband, or my children, or the other motorists on the road who could be involved. :O(
Do you have anything in writing about the adaptive learning from Ford? What you described (that the car will accelerate on its own after you let off the gas pedal -- because it remembered that you used to keep accelerating under similar situations) seems quite dangerous to me.

Some drivers seem to be under the belief that the "adaptive learning" is nothing but how the transmission learns where the proper "bite point" is (like when you first drive a manual transmission you learn how the characteristics of the clutch of the particular car). But you seem to suggest it is doing much much more. This bring me back to my original question: how the adaptive learning works when there are two drivers with very different driving styles.

Anyway, I am confused.

Hope you have better luck with your next car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #122
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
Wow, I'm almost speechless. Your same repair attempts and poor fixes sound exactly like my situation but I've had the addition of a new trans completely removed and replaced, with the same no fix outcome. This would be great information for a lawyer.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #123
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 4 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusNoMore View Post
Ford admits the problems are "Design Issues" They also say, in regard to the Adaptive Learning of this Transmission, "While it is true that there may be times or CONDITIONS when the vehicle adapts to the driving conditions or the driver's style in a way that does not suit the driver, there are two ways to address this concern. The fist is to change the manner in which the vehicle is driven. Smoother stops and starts and gentler handling at the shift points will allow the vehicle, over time, to reset to smoother mannerisms. The second is to have the "Keep Alive Memory" or KAM, cleared and driving cycles performed to "teach" the vehicle a smoother handling. Ford would note that this is much like having an alignment done on the vehicle. The vehicle is "set" at the factory, but driving conditions may have an un-desirable effect on the performance of the vehicle. In the case of an alignment, the vehicle needs to be properly maintained by the customer and be brought back into alignment; this is not warrantable in that is specifically excluded from warranty as maintenance. With the transmission issue, the vehicle will return to a smoother function over time if the driving style is less aggressive. Otherwise the vehicle will have to be addressed and reset more quickly through the procedures above."
(
It is worth noting that these statements are pretty much the exact opposite of what so many on this forum will try to tell you over and over, namely

1) There is nothing wrong with the design
2) You gotta dive it hard to make it work right.

How many times have we seen these gems posted?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #124
jjessop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91332
What I Drive: 2012 White se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jjessop Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick217 View Post
I didn't wait. Just picked up my new one 3 hours ago and couldn't be happier.
Sorry don't mean to brag or rub it in but I had to do it. (get rid of the car I mean).
In short the "brand Y" dealer had 3 other focuses on the lot they have taken into trade within the last 4 days!
Probably this will be my last post here. I want to wish you guys all the best and hope Ford solves your DCT issues..............
We are dumping our 2012 Focus later this month early (lease up in 3 months) and we are more excited than kids on Christmas morning! Can't wait to rid ourselves of the complete frustration of gear grinding, slipping and popping out of gear at random moments. With the steering failures and Sync issues the dealer gave up on us long ago and told us our only recourse was to lemon law it.

My Wife and I lifelong Ford owners and we both agree this is the last one we ever own.

I'll be back to post some pictures of the dealer drop off as we plan on doing it up good for them in the middle of their busiest retail day. Get ready Ford Store of San Leandro Ca, revenge will be mine for the 2 years of misery we endured.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #125
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessop View Post
We are dumping our 2012 Focus later this month early (lease up in 3 months) and we are more excited than kids on Christmas morning! Can't wait to rid ourselves of the complete frustration of gear grinding, slipping and popping out of gear at random moments. With the steering failures and Sync issues the dealer gave up on us long ago and told us our only recourse was to lemon law it.

My Wife and I lifelong Ford owners and we both agree this is the last one we ever own.

I'll be back to post some pictures of the dealer drop off as we plan on doing it up good for them in the middle of their busiest retail day. Get ready Ford Store of San Leandro Ca, revenge will be mine for the 2 years of misery we endured.
Cheers !
Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #126
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

http://www.krohnandmoss.com/
Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #127
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessop View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Make sure you get them all over social media, too.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #128
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
It is worth noting that these statements are pretty much the exact opposite of what so many on this forum will try to tell you over and over, namely

1) There is nothing wrong with the design
2) You gotta dive it hard to make it work right.

How many times have we seen these gems posted?
Very often, and some are still posting that 'advice' today.

I love it when people who don't have any problems with their car tell people who do have problems that it's probably their fault because they don't know how to drive.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #129
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
A follow-up to my previous post about my Texas Lemon Law complaint, but first a recap.

As I previously mentioned, I went before a judge in July. Two months later, he issued his verdict saying Ford should repair the vehicle, not repurchase it. While i had proven my car had significant transmission issues, he said the issues did not cause a safety concern and would not affect the market value of the car, which of course is just ridiculous to say.

Luckily, the judge does not have the final say in Texas. Instead his opinion goes to the DMV attorney;s office for review, and then to the DMV Board of Directors quarterly review meeting for final decision. The DMV attorney's office came back and said the judge had mis-applied the law, that the issues obviously impact the market value of the car, and they recommended the board overturn the judge's opinion and order Ford to repurchase the car. In November, the DMV board met and my case was on their agenda. After a 30 minute discussion, they voted by majority to order Ford to repurchase my car. Ford completed the transaction on Friday by coming to get my car and handing me a check.

It's kind of bittersweet. I'm glad I finally received some level of justice for all the issues I experienced in this car over the past 2.5 years. However, I wish Ford could have just fixed the issues. I'm still looking at vehicles, but am favoring the Mazda CX-5 for my next car.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #130
raywal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102946
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 1 raywal Good Standing Member
if you don't mind me asking how much did you get for the car

Bookmarks & Social Networks