2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90033
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tiburon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding

I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.
Hi Tiburon,

My name is Noemi and I am working alongside Natasha on the FocusFanatics forum. I've reviewed your case. Please PM me with the current mileage and brief history since your last dealer visit, so I can update your case to the regional Customer Service Manager.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
I have the exact same issue. (768mi.) Before I had the TSB update done yesterday the grinding noise was apparent 20% of the time... and it now happens 80% of the time and is more pronounced as well. I bought it 03JAN12 and it has a production date of 17OCT11. I left it at the dealer for the day today and will wait to see what they come up with and report back.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
teamtrinity
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93933
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 teamtrinity Good Standing Member
Same issue! Oh no! :( Is there no official fix yet?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
atlarch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94528
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 atlarch Good Standing Member
Same Issue

I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
I have the exact same issue. (768mi.) Before I had the TSB update done yesterday the grinding noise was apparent 20% of the time... and it now happens 80% of the time and is more pronounced as well. I bought it 03JAN12 and it has a production date of 17OCT11. I left it at the dealer for the day today and will wait to see what they come up with and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post
Same issue! Oh no! :( Is there no official fix yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarch View Post
I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.
Good Morning Tarzanalog, teamtrinity, atlarch,

I would like to you all to the forum!

My name is Noemi and I'm the residential Ford help on the Forum. I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manager, who will in turn contact you as well as your dealer to assure the issue is addressed properly. Please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi

Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached. Being that we're talking about parts for a 2012 Focus here they had no idea when they would be able to get a replacement in it to get me back on the road... but I am hopeful that the problem will be solved within days and not weeks. Fingers crossed...

FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...

I'll report back.

BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached............
FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...
BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.
Morning Tarzanalog,

You're very welcome. We enjoy STALKING the forum.

Take care and keep me posted on the results.

Noemi

Last edited by FordService; 02-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.

Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.
Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.
SWEEEEETTT!!!!

Love to hear good news. Keep me posted.

Noemi

Bookmarks & Social Networks