FX's "Red Headed Step-child" Build Thread (56k Go and re-evaluate your life!!) - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #71
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78546
What I Drive: 2000 Sangria/Torreador Red SE

Points 821, Level 15
Points: 821, Level: 15 Points: 821, Level: 15 Points: 821, Level: 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 djwrg04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So, you wanted a winter update? Well, too bad… here's a Pre-spring Update!!!

Okay, if you saw on facebook or in the FX boredom thread a post or two with me ranting and getting hyped up about trying to swap out the IB5 trans to a nice SVT Getrag and wanted to read about all that…. Well, you're bound for dissapointment just like me….

if you wanted to see some updates on my "ZVH" Engine build… well…. You're bound for dissapointment as well.

Both of those big, wonderful, speculation based, and expensive ideas all require me to have my car down and out for a longer extended period of time… I've come to a bit of a realization. Being in college is my primary goal and it requires most of my time and money and me having a running car.

With that being said, both of these projects are going to be on the backburner until I get out of college and get on my feet to where I have more time and a source of constant revenue to fund it all and have a car to drive while the focus is down. If I had a beater to drive for the meantime, I'd probably start on these over summer between FF2013 and FocusRising2013 but that's pretty unlikely.

Now this doesn't mean that I still wont add to Anya or get other parts!!! So don't think I'm throwing in the towel because I have a ton of things planned!!!

As for what I did over winter break which I keep forgetting to put up, I didn't really do much. But I did do this:

And this:

As for what comes next… well, get ready for another list of things that probably won't get done!!

Things to do over Spring Break(because I have no life..)
- Rear SVT Disc Brake Swap
- Replace dying IB5 with a low mileage one
- Spec Stage 1 Clutch
- new Exhaust flange gasket
- underbody rust proofing
- fit summer wheels
- take large amounts of pictures of everything.
- maybe a SVT front sway-bar while I'm at it.
- urethane trailing arm bushings
- speed bleeders for the rear calipers
- rust proof entire rear suspension.
- maybe plasti-dip roof
- fix clunking noise up front

Lots of pictures to come!! Hopefully it won't take me a month to put it up on her next time !
Sedan Revolution #231 || FocusXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbridledCarnage View Post
im not paying 124 a night. period. lol bring a gun and bunker down!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #72
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Points 821, Level 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
SPRING MADNESS UPDATE!!

Okay so over spring break I got a good amount of work done to Anya in relatively short time with the help of my friends as usual. I was able to get the transmission swapped out, get the new clutch in, pick up the entire rear SVT suspension and subframe, get an entire SVT interior, get a mint-condition SPI battery cable set, and get some really great deals!!

First of all, on Monday my dad, best friend, and me took mom’s Mountianeer out to Eastern Kentucky to a guy who used to rebuild focuses, part them out, and customize them from about 2000 to 06’ named Mr. Mink. He’s into Scions now but he has a giant garage/building type thing in his back yard full of Focus parts!! Like when I say it was full of focus parts… you could literailly build at least 4 Foci (minus the bodies)!!
Anyway… back to the story….
We came there to get just a full SVT rear Suspension that he pulled off a friends 04’ SVT that got wrecked in the same year it was bought with only about 6k miles on it. In the end, we ended up leaving with a mint condition SVT interior and the rear suspension!
He gutted the body of that SVT with hopes of selling it all off or using it in one of his projects and stored it in his big shed with all the other parts off of wrecked focuses that he gutted along with the SVT’s interior. They all sat for about 9 years out of the elements in the garage. Over the years people bought the drivetrain and other parts and the interior and rear susp. just sat tucked away in the garage behind the bed of a Ford Ranger.

To sum it all up, about $400 later and I left with:
-1 complete SVT rear end
-Mint Condition 2000 SPI Battery cable
-Fresh 2000 SPI Valve Cover
-Brand-new(ish) Blue SVT Seats
-Somewhat good condition SVT Center Console (needed for spare parts)
-Tons of Seat-mount Trim
-New Hood latch Cable
-flawless SVT snorkel
-2 low mileage SVT IMRC controlers

I can say for a fact that my dad and me are definitely going back this summer for more parts when I get the chance and some money so I can score some other really rare bits he has!!

Anyway. We got the SVT Interior, the Rear Suspension, and some other misc. parts & all that was awesome. Then we got to the transmission and while I was getting Anya ready to yank out the trans my dad was talking to a friend at Town & Country Ford just to see how much it would be if were to have someone else do it.

She gave us a great deal of $400 (actually came out to $480 or something like that) to replace the trans and put in the new Spec Stage 2 Clutch which was a really great deal!! So we took the up on it and Anya was gone from Tuesday afternoon-Thursday afternoon.

Before we sent her off to have the trans replaced, me and my friends gave the new trans some major TLC and cleaned it up and painted it to return it to as close to new-looking as possible.

When I got the old girl back, she was like a totally different animal!! Every shift was silky smooth, as if the shifter was a hot knife gliding through butter and the clutch was nice and firm, without being too heavy or too light.

In addition to all that, when I sit at a stoplight or start up Anya and let her idle, I don’t get that “clack clack clack clack clack” coming from the transmission. I used to be able to quiet the noise down by pushing the shifter over to where it was right near 5th gear without engaging the gear but the “clacking sound wold just be replaced with a very steady droning “whrring” sound like the supercharger off a Vauxhal VXR8 Bathurst but only quieter. (Watch this to get an idea: http://youtu.be/Ld_nn9H-AAY?t=3m5s )

So the new trans and clutch are awesome.

Now if you are actually reading this, you saw that I also picked up a mint Battery cable set for an SPI. It was absolutely immaculate, no exposed portions of cable at the battery terminals, no corrosion, nothing!! Mr. Mink had told me that it was pulled off a ‘00 in ’02 that was rear ended with about 11k miles on it.

I’ve searched high and low for a good while (mostly junkyards as ford stopped carrying most SPI parts eons ago…) and whenever I found a battery cable, someone had either cut off the end for the starter or cut off the end that goes to the alternator when getting the parts instead of disconnecting the cables.

My main reason for replacing the battery cable was more out of speculation rather than necessity as mine hadn’t been too corroded and the terminal clamps still had a little bit of life left in them. But the cable at the terminal clamps had become exposed and the copper had begun to turn green.

Have you ever noticed the lights on your dash/headlights pulsating at idle or a seemingly impossible-to-fix hanging rev issue at idle? I wanna say that Anya started doing that around early 2010 and over time the problem kept getting worse and worse. I had checked fuses, replaced some relays, I even disassembled 95% of wiring between the engine harness and ECU and di-electric greased every contact and connection that I could find!! But nothing seemed to work!

Well, on Friday I spent about 4-5 hours replacing the battery cables on the old girl (3 hours were spent trying to get the starter cable on/off and re-tapping the dura-crap starter’s bolt threads…) and what a difference!!!! I cannot even begin to describe how well Anya ran afterward! The pulsating light problem disappeared, no more hanging revs at idle, and she accelerates much smoother with a little bit less hesitation!

While I did all that, I also added the SVT Snorkel I got from Mr. Mink.
After all that was done, I had realized that I couldn’t do the rear disc brake swap because I didn’t have e-brake cables so I just went ahead and put the SVT rear sway bar on to replace the lame stock one I had to use due to my big 28mm Steeda bar being too wide to mount to the DOM Eng. rear LCAs.

Okay, if you read through all that then color me impressed.

NOW FOR ALL THE PICTURESSS!!!!!!!

~SVT Rear Suspension~

This is what it looked like when we got it on. After we spent about 2 hours trying to get it loaded onto the Mountianeer’s roof rack, we had to drive 20 miles to Berea to find a Tractor Supply Co. to get the little hitch carrier thing and we put it together outside in the parking lot in the rain.

Then when we realized that the hitch carrier’s post was too big for the Mountaineer’s V6 hitch… we ad to buy an adapter which made the carrier stick out about an extra foot & a half. Once all that was said and done, we bungee corded the hell out of it and secured it the best we could.

Here it is back at the house. We had left Louisville @ 10/11 am and got back to Louisville by 9pm…. Just goes to show how long we were out in the rain trying to get everything back.

Here’s the SVT interior crammed into the back of the SUV.

Here’s the Suspension as it still is now in the garage.

~Transmission cleanup~

The transmission when we got it.

Air drying it with the air compressor after we used some heavy duty degreaser, scrubbed it, and then rinsed it all off. My mom was pissed about the gigantic black streak of grease & grime going down the driveway lol.

Hitting the trans with some fresh paint after prepping it and pulling most of the brackets off.

Here it is all back together and drying.

And there it is ready to go to Ford in Anya’s trunk.

~Battery Cable work~

[img] http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...05497679_n.jpg [/img]
You can’t really tell due to this being a pretty crappy pic but the old one is on top and the new one is on the bottom.

~SVT Interior Cleanup~

Left side is un touched, right side is after some very mild cleanup.

~New Valve Cover~

New valve cover – pre-cleanup.

After hitting it with two coats of VHT Wrinkle Black.

Valve cover after it dried for about an hour.

~Mustang Work~

Cleaned the massive buildup of bugs off the front.

And yes, I did just Plasti-dip the rear-spoiler on a 71’ Mach 1 Mustang.

~Other shots of the Mustang~

Hope you enjoyed reading all this/ looking at the pictures. I have to say that I really enjoyed writing all this up because all I've been doing the past month or two is write paper after paper. Writing about something I enjoy is a breath of fresh air for me!

Now we wait till summer!!
Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

Points 16,266, Level 81
Points: 16,266, Level: 81 Points: 16,266, Level: 81 Points: 16,266, Level: 81
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
didnt you already have an SVT interior?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #74
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Points 821, Level 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Yup, but I couldn't pass up that nice of a set for that low of a price!

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile
Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #75
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

Points 3,496, Level 36
Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Holy mother of long posts! I can't say much other than the fact that it's gonna be awesome!

That mustang is absolutely breathtaking. And those first few shots are tiiight! It looks like a wonderland of auto parts and I want to spend time there. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #76
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Points 821, Level 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks Karyn! Two more years of college and my old man passes the mustang on to me. He bought it in '72 when he was in highschool and has kept it ever since!

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #77
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Points 16,266, Level 81
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
SVT interior is the only way id ever put an interior back in my car. is this from the focusfarm?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #78
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Points 821, Level 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Nope, its form a guy out In eastern ky that my dad knows. Im hoping to do some work and buy his lightly used recaros by summer.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #79
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Points 16,266, Level 81
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
if you keep collecting svt interiors your gonna have to cut me a deal on a set lol
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #80
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Points 821, Level 15
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Of course! Jordan is in line first though if I sell the current svt interior I've got in Anya. So I guess you'll be taking second in line if I decide to sell

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.