The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch... - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #61
Vestra01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103186
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Vestra01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Also where is Jaclyn from the IVT team?

I'm surprised Jaclyn from the IVT team hasn't chimed in at all on this. We have been asking for the ability to unlock NAV post sale for more than a year and the idea is posted on the Ford social website also for more than 1 year. A lot of us on this board are techies I.e. engineers, IT guys, comp sci majors and we all know that the excuse "it can only be done at the factory" is BS especially considering its all software and that the physical hardware parts are interchangeable a Ford hallmark by the way. A lot of us opted to bypass NAV presale because our salesmen told us it could be enabled post sale and because when the system debuted it was in fact very buggy and still is with a Garmin offering better performance. Yet as the system improves and bugs are hammered out a lot of us would like to upgrade and enable the Nav that the hardware in our cars definitely supports! I just don't get why ford would be turning away cash when a lot of us are saying take our 795 dollars and upgrade us!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #62
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestra01 View Post
What if the tech provisions the module using the VIN for a car that is configured identically to yours except that this VIN has the NAV? that should work as they can pull down the flash files for the module from that VIN, and should result in a similar situation to what Mrlandy did by swapping out his APIM with the one procured on EBay. You have to have a cooperative service tech though.
Well, that part they're actually right on. When they try to provision it connects to their database, but it sends the APIM information. Actually, that's how it failed. I read the services book about it. Apparently the APIM was actually provisioned correctly, but without the Navigation app (it literally calls it an "App"). They called an engineer to see if he would bypass the lock but he said no because my VIN# does not list Nav.

One of the things listed is the VIN# of the vehicle. You can see the info too -- hit the Power button to turn off the radio and then hold the Skip Forward and Eject buttons at the same time for a few sec. Hit the first button (APIM Diagnostics, I think) and you can see the info in there.

What needs to be done is the APIM has to be installed into a car licensed for Nav, have it provisioned in there, and then switch it back to my car.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #63
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
I'm surprised Jaclyn from the IVT team hasn't chimed in at all on this. We have been asking for the ability to unlock NAV post sale for more than a year and the idea is posted on the Ford social website also for more than 1 year. A lot of us on this board are techies I.e. engineers, IT guys, comp sci majors and we all know that the excuse "it can only be done at the factory" is BS especially considering its all software and that the physical hardware parts are interchangeable a Ford hallmark by the way. A lot of us opted to bypass NAV presale because our salesmen told us it could be enabled post sale and because when the system debuted it was in fact very buggy and still is with a Garmin offering better performance. Yet as the system improves and bugs are hammered out a lot of us would like to upgrade and enable the Nav that the hardware in our cars definitely supports! I just don't get why ford would be turning away cash when a lot of us are saying take our 795 dollars and upgrade us!
^^This^^

I even bought the full module ($1024 after tax, since I wasn't turning in my old one) and still nothing from Ford. Looks like if I can't get it working I'll be returning it.

I guess Ford doesn't want my $1024? They don't want to take my $1024 for a simple software installation. Unbelievable.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
Vestra01
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Well, that part they're actually right on. When they try to provision it connects to their database, but it sends the APIM information. Actually, that's how it failed. I read the services book about it. Apparently the APIM was actually provisioned correctly, but without the Navigation app (it literally calls it an "App"). They called an engineer to see if he would bypass the lock but he said no because my VIN# does not list Nav.

One of the things listed is the VIN# of the vehicle. You can see the info too -- hit the Power button to turn off the radio and then hold the Skip Forward and Eject buttons at the same time for a few sec. Hit the first button (APIM Diagnostics, I think) and you can see the info in there.

What needs to be done is the APIM has to be installed into a car licensed for Nav, have it provisioned in there, and then switch it back to my car.
Yeah that was going to be my next suggestion, have it provisioned in a car with NAV but then you'd need a specially cooperative dealer and tech......or a good friend with a similarly configured car. I hope Ford is listening and finally pleases us.....other than this I absolutely love my car...I got mine in May 2011 one of the first batch off the assembly line!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #65
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Do the service techs know the story about how your salesman told you it was on your car when you bought it, or that you could upgrade? They should be willing to make something work for you... shouldn't be too hard to provision it on a Nav enabled vehicle on the lot and then swap it back in. They just need some incentive or coaxing?

I think my car has had 3 new APIMs... I don't even know what it looks like. Whenever MFT locks up or goes all screwy, they just replace that (I don't think they know what else to do, if I'm honest). I don't think they were ever the main problem, but if they were... that begs another question: say you do get it provisioned and working, and a month in, they have to replace it because the only way they'll fix MFT is by replacing the APIM and a fresh install?

Just something for consideration. I wish it wasn't this tough for the non-nav and non reverse-cam folks.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #66
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Yeah that was going to be my next suggestion, have it provisioned in a car with NAV but then you'd need a specially cooperative dealer and tech......or a good friend with a similarly configured car. I hope Ford is listening and finally pleases us.....other than this I absolutely love my car...I got mine in May 2011 one of the first batch off the assembly line!
Same here. Preordered mine and it arrived on May 1 of last year. That's part of my dilemma. The dealership told me one thing and I got screwed :(

And Altis, I tried everything. The service tech even tried explaining that to the IVT engineer and he didn't budge. I even mentioned the possibility of doing a swap in a car that supported nav but he was pretty unresponsive. He said that would work, but seemed extremely reluctant to try it with a lot car. I made mention of doing something like that with "another car" and he said it would work, but we didn't talk about it much.

If anyone in the Cleveland area doesn't mind me borrowing their car for a few hours, then I'd be in business
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #67
Vestra01
Focus Rookie

The one saving grace to all this is that the system is still quite buggy from personal experience...takes forever to index a Zune HD, an Apple iPod Classic fares better but on the other hand doesn't display all the cover art, the system still slows down and occasionally requires a fuse pull and master reset. From what I've read these bugs ripple through to the NAV portion as well and a lot of folks on these forums complain that a Garmin is still better than the MFT NAV. Maybe by the time ford fixes all the bugs, they will also decide to allow us to unlock NAV post sale as well. The other upside to using a Garmin is that you don't have to worry about map updates and can use the MFT screen to look at other info while the Garmin handles NAV. Integrated NAV is pretty though and does mean less windshield clutter. I hope Ford is listening to us on these forums!.........Here's an idea..Ford should actually work with Garmin to make MFT especially the NAV portion very NUVI like...Garmin's PND OS is also very stable and reliable....this would be sweet. They don't necessarily have to dump Windows Auto, becuase I'm sure that Garmin has apps that run on Windows Embedded...I remember running Garmin GPS apps on an old Dell Axim PocketPC.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #68
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
The one saving grace to all this is that the system is still quite buggy from personal experience...takes forever to index a Zune HD, an Apple iPod Classic fares better but on the other hand doesn't display all the cover art, the system still slows down and occasionally requires a fuse pull and master reset. From what I've read these bugs ripple through to the NAV portion as well and a lot of folks on these forums complain that a Garmin is still better than the MFT NAV. Maybe by the time ford fixes all the bugs, they will also decide to allow us to unlock NAV post sale as well. The other upside to using a Garmin is that you don't have to worry about map updates and can use the MFT screen to look at other info while the Garmin handles NAV. Integrated NAV is pretty though and does mean less windshield clutter. I hope Ford is listening to us on these forums!.........Here's an idea..Ford should actually work with Garmin to make MFT especially the NAV portion very NUVI like...Garmin's PND OS is also very stable and reliable....this would be sweet. They don't necessarily have to dump Windows Auto, becuase I'm sure that Garmin has apps that run on Windows Embedded...I remember running Garmin GPS apps on an old Dell Axim PocketPC.
I mean, there are definite benefits to using a standalone GPS unit, but there are obvious benefits of using the built-in nav too. I'd really love to use my 8" screen for the navigation, in addition to the SYNC system. I don't use voice navigation (I turn off the voices), but I like the MFT system (outside of the various bugs).

If I can't get it to work (I'm going to call Ford again today), I'm going to return the module and buy a standalone GPS. I paid $1050 for this module and SD card, so if I buy a standalone for $250 I'm still *pretty* far ahead lol
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
Vestra01
Focus Rookie

You can also take a standalone GPS with you when you travel or use a rental car. I hear you though, I like the integrated NAV too outside of its bugs, it is cool and pretty looking. If Ford finally wakes up and offers an unlock option I'm game but it doesn't hurt to have a stand alone GPS as a backup or for other uses.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #70
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
You can also take a standalone GPS with you when you travel or use a rental car. I hear you though, I like the integrated NAV too outside of its bugs, it is cool and pretty looking. If Ford finally wakes up and offers an unlock option I'm game but it doesn't hurt to have a stand alone GPS as a backup or for other uses.
Well I have a few Android phones and devices, which come with full navigation. It works perfectly, but I hate to have another device obstructing my view or to have to worry about. Another problem is that I've integrated a radar detector into my electrical system (it's on the windshield right under the rearview mirror). It looks professional, as it currently is, but if I want to attach a GPS to the windshield or sitting on the dash somewhere I doubt I can make it look professional. There just isn't another spot anywhere that would look good.

I'm a fan of making things look like they were built with that setup in mind. If I do it I'll have to somehow integrate it into my current system. Right now the radar detector is lined into the auto-dimming rearview mirror power (which is perfect since it runs at 13.4V and cuts down to 10V a few minutes after the car shuts down), but I don't think there's another power lining up there except for the sunroof, which I don't want to tie into.

I guess I could line it along the top of the windshield, but I hope my windshield tint strip wouldn't interfere with the GPS signal (I get somewhat poor GPS signal in my car with my phones/devices because of the ceramic tinting I'm using all around the car). I'll have to do a bit of planning and see what I can come up with...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.