Very minor scratch repair - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very minor scratch repair

So recently I got trapped in my parking spot at a park because some ass thought he'd left me enough room. I waited around but the guy never showed so I was forced to squeeze through a tight spot. I fit but some bush on one side left a nice long rub mark down the passenger side doors.

Curious what you guys recommend for repairing this. Car is 2012 Focus, tuxedo black paint. I'm looking to repair all my little chips and such and get the car looking new as I'm trading it in for an ST soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
Have you tried Meguiar's Scratchx? You can pick it up from Walmart. Just apply it like car polish and buff off.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1030 View Post
Have you tried Meguiar's Scratchx? You can pick it up from Walmart. Just apply it like car polish and buff off.
I picked up something similar by TurtleWax.. cost about $20. A little elbow grease and time and it's doing the trick. Upon close inspection the scratches are there but you really have to be looking for them. I'm hesitant to sand it too much to really get at those scratches as I don't want to end up with large blemishes.

The reason I got this one is it did come with a 3 stage sanding kit which will be handy for some of the chips in the front and underside stuff. Next up is cleaning up the plastic and I already have a product for that. Can I just say. The plastic panels on the doors are the worst idea ever. They get scratched so easily.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,377, Level 95
Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If it's a scuff then you can buff it out with some compound and/or polish. If it is an actual scratch that you can catch a finger nail on then it will have to be repaired, covered up, or lived with.
2014 FiST-
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
If it's a scuff then you can buff it out with some compound and/or polish. If it is an actual scratch that you can catch a finger nail on then it will have to be repaired, covered up, or lived with.
^this- try to buff it out. I'd use a compound, then a polish to get the hologram the compound might make, then a good wax job. Meg's scratchx is good, megs ultimate compound is nice too. I use 3m scratch remover a lot too. Trick if you do it by hand is to work it into the scratch it works better when it starts to break down a bit.

For things you can feel with your finger nail- check out Dr. Colorchip! I just bought the kit for my focus- they matched the paint a billion times better than the motorcraft touch up! Fixed chips and scratches alike. You can still find them if you are about 4 inches away from the paint, but any normal look wouldn't find them. What you do is get something wide flat and kinda bendy- wrap their buffing cloth around it and buff the paint with their solution on that flat side. (Like langka blob remover recommends) it won't pull the paint back out and will make it level. I repaired a spot about 1" square this way. You can still kinda see in sunlight, but it isn't glaring anymore.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

Points 1,136, Level 18
Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
I tried drcolorchip but found it wasnt any good for stratches. The magic only worked on actual chips. If your trading it in, why worry about the marks? Let the dealer worry about it.

May i suggest a clear bra on your new ST?
I had a tuxblack SEL, the chips annoyed the hell out of me. Traded it in for a new ST, im putting a clear bra on shortly.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by odd3010 View Post

I used it today - must have been a deep scratch in the clearcoat because a little of it remains, nothing terrible...

BUT

the area I applied ScratchX to no longer beads up when washing or rinsing.

ScratchX may have removed some of the clearcost, despite being safe for clearcoat/all finishes.

The good news is that:

a. apart from the lack of water beading there is no appreciable damage
b. polishing and waxing should return the beading effect (and that too helps take care of scratches - to an extent...)

Still, I'd be wary of ScratchX on candy blue. In retrospect, I probably should have polished/waxed only.

But even before polishing and waxing there was no sign that scratchx damaged anything and maybe it was just oil residue when I analyzed after rinsing. And the Merguir Ultimate Polish and Liquid Wax both did a great job. Those I've always used without fear.

---

On update: it is normal for clearcoat to be compromised by scratch removers. I didn't expect to see the beading power removed but I'm glad it wasn't anything more, and the waxing will restore the beading of water. No problemo.

Last edited by unfocused1; 06-21-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Response on a similar post had my answer
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Garyshome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 176825
What I Drive: 2000 white focus

Points 41, Level 1
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Garyshome Good Standing Member
Polishing compound and a wet rag will take care of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.