Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #71
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick625 View Post
When I come to stop at a light, with my foot on the brake, it's fine, but when I take my foot off the brake to creep forward, it idles rough and shakes, almost like the engine is going to die (it doesn't), like if you weren't clutching properly in a manual transmission. Anyone else experience this? Mine is a 2012 made in 6/12.
This may be normal. When you take your foot off the brake it signals the car to engage the clutch, whether or not you touch the gas. It's pretty much like letting out the clutch without adding throttle in a conventional manual.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #72
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
This rough idle and shake however does not occur when you let out the clutch without adding throttle in a conventional manual.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #73
scoteaerl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99187
What I Drive: 2012 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scoteaerl Good Standing Member
I'm another with the lovely shudder on take-off. It really sucks to have people hop in the car to ride with me go "what was that?". Makes me real proud of my investment - not.

At least my dealer is giving the appearance of trying to fix it. I had the SB37 update which didn't resolve the shudder. This was followed by the "put 4000 miles on in and see if it breaks in" response. At 5K miles the shudder persists, so back to the dealer.

This time, the service report says:
Reprogrammed PCM TCM and relearned trans adaptive
Retested OK Hotline said if it keeps reoccurring clutch will have to be replaced

Anybody else have a similar experience? Has clutch replace resolved the problem?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,863, Level 66
Points: 9,863, Level: 66 Points: 9,863, Level: 66 Points: 9,863, Level: 66
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoteaerl View Post
I'm another with the lovely shudder on take-off. It really sucks to have people hop in the car to ride with me go "what was that?". Makes me real proud of my investment - not.

At least my dealer is giving the appearance of trying to fix it. I had the SB37 update which didn't resolve the shudder. This was followed by the "put 4000 miles on in and see if it breaks in" response. At 5K miles the shudder persists, so back to the dealer.

This time, the service report says:
Reprogrammed PCM TCM and relearned trans adaptive
Retested OK Hotline said if it keeps reoccurring clutch will have to be replaced

Anybody else have a similar experience? Has clutch replace resolved the problem?
If the clutch is worn in improperly then replacing it would solve the clutch shudder issue at least until you continue to drive it in the same manner that lead to the clutch pack failing, if it was an environmental stimulus rather than a software or hard ware failure causing it initially.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #75
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If the clutch is worn in improperly then replacing it would solve the clutch shudder issue at least until you continue to drive it in the same manner that lead to the clutch pack failing, if it was an environmental stimulus rather than a software or hard ware failure causing it initially.
It kind of urks me that almost every post you make on these threads involves the driver doing something improperly, as if the problem could never have been a defect in manufacturing.

Take it from the guy in the other thread. You got lucky in getting a perfect Focus right out of the box. Just be happy about it.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #76
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,863, Level 66
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCubed View Post
It kind of urks me that almost every post you make on these threads involves the driver doing something improperly, as if the problem could never have been a defect in manufacturing.

Take it from the guy in the other thread. You got lucky in getting a perfect Focus right out of the box. Just be happy about it.
I said it could be either caused due to driver error in which case replacing the clutch won't fix anything, or more likely a manufacturing defect that it will fix the issue if you could get them to acknowledge it. Just because I mentioned the environmental condition first didn't imply that it was the first and most likely scenario, just the first thing I wrote.

I understand that there were the possibilities of manufacturing defects, e.x. the leaky transmission case dripping fluid onto the clutch assembly destroying it, or the reason why they had to update the software. Of course there was also the fact that they marketed it as a normal automatic but mechanically it isn't. That would also fall upon Ford and the dealers to inform the customers.

It irks me to hear that just because some one had a bad experience that by extension they must all be junk. Ok so mine works fine so I'm happy with it. I don't need to defend anything to anyone.

No one is discounting the fact that defective hardware gets sold in the field, which is why one must push to get the dealer and Ford to honor the warranty and repair it properly.

If the clutch pack failed due to the software mistiming the application of torque from the engine then it would be an inherent defect from manufacturing.

Cars that grind gears are in my mind defective and one should not have to drive around them. These however are the exception and not the rule.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #77
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It irks me to hear that just because some one had a bad experience that by extension they must all be junk. Ok so mine works fine so I'm happy with it. I don't need to defend anything to anyone.
Are you putting words in my mouth there? I'm pretty sure in all of my posts here on FF I've never once said they must all be junk, nor have I even come close to saying a good percentage of them are junk. In fact if I had to wager a guess, I'd say somewhere around 4-5% have the transmission slippage/shuddering/grinding issues. Also I'd say about 0-0.5% of them are from being driven improperly. I believe some could be from an improper drive cycle being performed after a fix at the dealership, or possibly no drive cycle at all being performed. 4% is a small number, but when you're consistently selling 30,000+ units a month and, assuming my percentages are correct, 1,200 of them are having this issue, that's a pretty large amount of customers. Even if the number is closer to 1%, which I doubt, that's still 300 unhappy customers a month, with no actual fix in sight.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #78
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,863, Level 66
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCubed View Post
Are you putting words in my mouth there? I'm pretty sure in all of my posts here on FF I've never once said they must all be junk, nor have I even come close to saying a good percentage of them are junk. In fact if I had to wager a guess, I'd say somewhere around 4-5% have the transmission slippage/shuddering/grinding issues. Also I'd say about 0-0.5% of them are from being driven improperly. I believe some could be from an improper drive cycle being performed after a fix at the dealership, or possibly no drive cycle at all being performed. 4% is a small number, but when you're consistently selling 30,000+ units a month and, assuming my percentages are correct, 1,200 of them are having this issue, that's a pretty large amount of customers. Even if the number is closer to 1%, which I doubt, that's still 300 unhappy customers a month, with no actual fix in sight.
No I'm not putting words in your mouth, but there were others here who thought this way, e.x. allyy, but they either traded the car or the last update and drive cycle seemed to have fixed their issues and they went away.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283965 One such example, but there are many many more.

I concur there shouldn't be a high incidence of mechanical failures from a new vehicle.

Although I do believe you're underestimating the potential for it to be induced by heavy stop and go traffic since this is when people treat the car like a normal automatic and creep forward heavily on the clutch at times, although I can't say that the few times when I found myself in this situation that the car responded poorly, but then I also try to give a little bit of space, as impossible as that may actually be when in stop and stop traffic.

Of course its equally likely if not more so that the dealers are mucking up the drive cycle after each update by erasing the transmission's brain before hand but not following through with the drive cycle since the TSB/FSA doesn't call for it.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #79
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
I didn't have a single problem with this until after the TSB. The day I got home after getting the TSB it was shuddering while I was pulling into the garage (foot only on the brake). It did that every time I pulled into the garage, and then a few weeks later (around 2) it started doing it on takeoff. Every single time I put my foot on the gas to pull away from a stop it shudders, and it's horribly annoying and makes the car feel like junk to anyone in it.

I don't drive into the garage in a weird way...I pull in with the gas until I'm close, then just ease it in with my foot on the brake (no more gas). We're talking like 5-10 seconds total from breaking the plane of the door to putting it in park. This problem most likely stemmed from the TSB update.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #80
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
To update you all, ~1,500 km's after the battery pull, and my car is 90% smooth when shifting now. The odd time, there's a slight stutter, but overall, I'm satisfied. To close, that annoying grinding/ratting is almost completely gone as well. And yes, it is still smooth well after the tranny is "warmed" up.

I suggest you all try the battery pull, along with some patience. Though, just be prepared to re-program you auto windows (a mere 1 minute task).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.