Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
I'm seriously considering the battery reset method... This is getting supremely annoying to drive.
Probably can't hurt to try but it won't help a clutch surface issue, if that is indeed the issue. How many miles on the car? Does the issue only happen after driving for a while, i.e. after the tranny gets hot?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...About ~250 km ago, I had the 12B37 update applied. I noticed right away that the transmission was working much better than before: Smooth shifting, lower noise, etc.

However, just today, during some traffic on an uphill slope, the engine started to shake rather violently. Once the road flattened out, it sort of smoothed-out again; the car now just slightly rumbles whenever shifting to/from 1st gear.

...I'm not sure if I should wait it out and hope for this to pass within the next few hundred km, or take it back to the dealership (which would be a big inconvenience to me)...
Quote:
I'm seriously considering the battery reset method... This is getting supremely annoying to drive.
We recommend breaking it in for around 1,600 km after the update. If it doesn't settle down at that time, please call our Canadian Customer Relationship Centre at +1 (1)-800-565-3673 for further assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
...Try giving it more throttle down low in the rpm range and see if it goes away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
...I'd give a few more days of normal driving before drawing any conclusions, and of course if it persists, bring it to your dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
...You probably have to drive like a first-thousand-mile break in, agressive accelerations, upshift and downshift frequently, put it through its paces (again...)
Hey guys -

Thanks for lending BPEW584 encouraging advice! We're all in this together.

Quote:
...Welcome to transmission adaptive learning! Or improper clutch seating. One of the two!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
"improper clutch seating" - is that the grinding noise people experience?
Ouch! When the car is in motion, a clutch is always engaged to one of the two primary gearsets. Both clutches are seated to provide control and transfer engine torque properly. Have you talked to the dealer about the adaptive learning process?

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,210, Level 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Ouch! When the car is in motion, a clutch is always engaged to one of the two primary gearsets. Both clutches are seated to provide control and transfer engine torque properly. Have you talked to the dealer about the adaptive learning process?

Thomas
Except when the clutch is slipping due to 1)hot spots having developed over time, 2) fluid having leaked on it or 3) some other surface contact problem.

Oh no you di-int bring out the sad panda. What feeling is that supposed to emote anyway?

Any answer from engineering on my 6th gear shift point question? Jeeze Thomas, this seems like such a simple answer for engineering to give. What is the speed point at which the DCT is programmed to shift into 6th? Answer: --mph.

Reminder: some are reporting that after the 12B37 update the 6th gear shift point changed for the worse (in terms of fuel economy), whereas others are reporting it didn't change after the update.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
jcbbas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90384
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jcbbas Good Standing Member
Quote:
Same thing with mine from new. Shudder from launch when hot developed around 300 miles. Did the 5 full throttle starts, drove aggressively, gradually went away a few hundred miles later. You probably have to drive like a first-thousand-mile break in, agressive accelerations, upshift and downshift frequently, put it through its paces (again...)
Having the same problem after the update. Shuddering from stop until 2nd gear. It is extremely annoying. Ill have to try the battery pull then do all the steps again.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
I would say this issue is affecting my car as well. Noticible clutch slippage/shuddering in first gear only. Sometimes worse then others and sometimes not at all ...therefore intermittent which makes it a pain in the ass to get diagnosed at the dealer, arrrgh.
21500 miles n had the 12B37 update around 3000 miles ago and seems only to be getting worse with harsh, lurching 1st to 2nd shifts as well. I never had this happen before the update and shifting was always smooth, almost seamless. I performed the drive cycle after the update and it doesn't seem to be a shift point problem ...just clutch slippage and only in first when taking off from a complete stop with moderate-medium acceleration. Disappointing to say the least.
Oh well, glad I got the 5yr 100000mi warranty so plenty of time to get it fixed but hopefully will be more sooner than later. Just a matter of getting the dealer to duplicate the issue and recognise it as a problem.
Definitely needs to be fixed by the dealer so anyone else having this issue please post and also post about your results from the dealer service for this if any.
Thanks FF!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,210, Level 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Got the 12B37 update about a month ago.

This morning I backed out of my driveway onto the street, shifted to D, and depressed the accelerator exactly like I have every morning for the past 7 months of owning the car.

Except what happened this morning that never happened before?

The engine bogged down so much I'm surprised it didn't stall.

Never had anything like that happen before. Never.

Sucks.

To all those that say it's all in the DCT complainers' heads, whaddaya say about that?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
Quote:

This morning I backed out of my driveway onto the street, shifted to D, and depressed the accelerator exactly like I have every morning for the past 7 months of owning the car.

Sucks.

To all those that say it's all in the DCT complainers' heads, whaddaya say about that?
Have you tried the battery reset? I'm wondering if I should try this with mine.

Owning a brand-new car should not be this complicated.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Have you tried the battery reset? I'm wondering if I should try this with mine.

Owning a brand-new car should not be this complicated.
Your right it shouldn't be. As for the battery reset procedure that will reset the adaptive learning for the DCT which should be followed by the Drive Cycle to set the correct shift points but not likely it will help with clutch slippage/shuddering in first gear coming from a stop. Your welcome to try it and let us know how it goes. Personally I believe this is a fix for the service dept. As long as you can duplicate it for them they should attempt to service it.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:

Sucks.

I have also been having something like this. Only after I back out of the driveway and move it to drive. It does it that one time all day. It is also not consistent. Seems it does it once every now and again. I thought it was the engine sputtering out, but now I am wondering if this is a transmission issue.

I have taken the car in several times for this and they just say there are no codes. I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,210, Level 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
I have also been having something like this. Only after I back out of the driveway and move it to drive. It does it that one time all day. It is also not consistent. Seems it does it once every now and again. I thought it was the engine sputtering out, but now I am wondering if this is a transmission issue.

I have taken the car in several times for this and they just say there are no codes. I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue?
There've been several posts in the past about people gunning it across a busy street, something like this happens, and they poop their pants. I'll be keeping an eye on it of course. Ideally this is a condition the adaptive learning takes note of and works to prevent in the future.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.