2014 Ford Focus SE new HID project like no other - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
green_plaid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 171817
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 green_plaid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 Ford Focus SE new HID project like no other

Update...so I found out that there are differences between euro and us Focus headlights...aside from the obvious. If considering the kit from Aliexpress... well you may just want to reconsider. See my post on page 5...borrowed a few pics from others projects to show the differences.

My first post! So every car I have had since around 2005 has had HIDs in some form or another...mostly projectors but I had a few slips in judgement with H4 reflectors. On to the project, I started out purchasing a kit to convert our halogen reflector lights to replica ST lights (made by XGY...http://gzxgy.en.alibaba.com/product/...ord_Focus.html), LED DRL's and all (pics below). But in the end, even though its a very high quality kit with very good projectors (Q5-r), I decided to try something more along the lines of what I like to do. With that kit up for sale on ebay I decided I will be purchasing the below kit () at the cost of about 170.00 and modding a pair of Gen3 or Gen8 Hella projectors with a clear lens...spacing and the like. Ill also be powering the whole set up with Gen 4 Matsushita ballasts and either Koito or Philips D2S bulbs. I hope to get started on this soon! Also...seems to be the question that is asked every time I read these threads...baking or cutting... Ill be cutting open the headlights and plastic welding them back together. Simple!

Last edited by green_plaid; 07-14-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
green_plaid
Focus Enthusiast

cannot get the whole screenshot thing to work on my chromebook how I would like but check this link out...its cheaper than the first kit I bought but I am more than willing to pay a little more upfront to get something that not only works great but looks it too! Maybe if a few of us get together we could save some money?? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...716406123.html

also check out this thread to see the output of modded Hella Gen 3 projectors. This hidplanet member uses them quite a bit in his retrofits and not only that...his work is incredible. I had a set in my Subaru at one time too. They are quite nice.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...0-HID-retrofit

My 2000 Subaru Outback headlights...one of the many different sets I put together.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Is it legal or at least not blind oncoming traffic and attract unwanted attention from the cops? Looks great anyways.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Is it legal or at least not blind oncoming traffic and attract unwanted attention from the cops? Looks great anyways.
I doubt it's legal, most headlight modifications are illegal.

But it shouldn't effect oncoming drivers since it uses a projector, assuming of course they are aimed properly (just like any headlight).
Hatch Nation #29
Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
fenway1912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116879
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 fenway1912 Good Standing Member
Subscribing! The never ending quest for the best HIDs for the Mk3 Focus!

I think my next adventure will be the OEM Euro ST D3S hid lights - I just need to find out how install them without hacking up the lights...
Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
green_plaid
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Generally retrofitted headlights would not pass inspection, but both kits I have linked to look oe and being that you would use oem lights...they would say Ford... so they would not attract attention upon visual inspection. As far as blinding oncoming traffic... they are no different than any other car that has oem hid lights. I always keep my setups at 35 watts, with oem components and 4200/4300k bulbs.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
BTM757
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 140401
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BTM757 Good Standing Member
All my retrofits I have done look OE and I have never had an issue passing VA state inspections. That kit looks awesome by the way. With skills like that what is your HIDP username?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Irishmykl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 165610
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Irishmykl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So that kit, linked in the OP is the pieces a person would need to open up their factory headlights and replace the parts to make them ST replicas.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
green_plaid
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM757 View Post
All my retrofits I have done look OE and I have never had an issue passing VA state inspections. That kit looks awesome by the way. With skills like that what is your HIDP username?
brownmutthid...Ive come to like the green_plaid user name. may switch it over on hidplanet too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmykl View Post
So that kit, linked in the OP is the pieces a person would need to open up their factory headlights and replace the parts to make them ST replicas.
correct...supposedly. I decided I wanted to use something other than the Q5-r projector and instead of hacking up a really nice kit I would just sell this one and go with what I originally planned. I wish the cheaper one had drls but I like the ones that go in the lower outside triangle grills too. I have a leaning towards oem stuff...not that its always better but its kinda neat to say I have headlight parts from a Lexus RX or a BMW...impresses people!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Irishmykl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 165610
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Irishmykl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've been looking for a cheaper solution, even if I have to do it myself, that gives me more customizability. I think I would black out the projector surround, and black out the "turning lamp" part

Bookmarks & Social Networks