31k Miles, Severe Shuddering in 1st Gear take off. Taking it into dealer soon - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
NemesisS197
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103646
What I Drive: 2014 ST

FF Reputation: 1 NemesisS197 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
31k Miles, Severe Shuddering in 1st Gear take off. Taking it into dealer soon

Just a heads up and starting a thread so everyone can keep track. Recently Ive had a hard shuddering of my Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Focus SE with DCT. I bought the ESP so I know I am covered. However, Im very weary the dealerships are going to tell me its normal. So we'll see what happens. Im at 31k miles and drive it everyday in traffic. So breaking in isnt an excuse. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisS197 View Post
Any tips?
Pray?

It really just depends if you have the type of dealer that will do a transmission swap to make you happy or the type of dealer that will ignore you.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
NemesisS197
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Pray?

It really just depends if you have the type of dealer that will do a transmission swap to make you happy or the type of dealer that will ignore you.
Luckily there are plenty of dealers nearby where I work. Im going to a different one from where I bought the vehicle because the dealership I took my Explorer in for transmission issues gave me the old "didnt encounter any problems" excuse. Hopefully this one is different and since the problem is repeatable everytime I get in traffic they should be able to find something hopefully and IM not stuck with a rental car bill.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
I practically interviewed the managers at the dealership before I bought my car.....Now, the two times I've been in there, I get super treatment.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Just a heads up and starting a thread so everyone can keep track. Recently Ive had a hard shuddering of my Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Focus SE with DCT. I bought the ESP so I know I am covered. However, Im very weary the dealerships are going to tell me its normal. So we'll see what happens. Im at 31k miles and drive it everyday in traffic. So breaking in isnt an excuse. Any tips?
Hi there,

I'm happy to step in and get your concern escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll get to work!

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
NemesisS197
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The dealership I took it to was very polite and got me a rental car. Here's hoping they fix my car and find the issue out! Ill let you all know what they say.

PM Sent Crystal.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
I hope you do too.

My case has been officially "closed" on Ford's end. I had the regional customer service manager call me and in a weird, Orwellian doublespeak way tell me my car is "operating as it was designed" over and over again, despite my every attempt to calmly explain that my car operated "normal" to me for 8 months then suddenly started shuddering on takeoff. Dude was practically yelling it at me towards the end of the conversation. I asked him how he sleeps at night and then hung up.

It should be noted that when I dropped it off the last time, a technician came out and rode in the car with me and CONFIRMED the shuddering/slipping and also the grinding while upshifting into third. Suddenly it acted "normal" after I left the dealership.

So I really hope yours gets fixed and I have a little more precedence to act on. I'm pretty sure my only option now is to call the attorney generals office and file a complaint against Ford.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
NemesisS197
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I hope you do too.

My case has been officially "closed" on Ford's end. I had the regional customer service manager call me and in a weird, Orwellian doublespeak way tell me my car is "operating as it was designed" over and over again, despite my every attempt to calmly explain that my car operated "normal" to me for 8 months then suddenly started shuddering on takeoff. Dude was practically yelling it at me towards the end of the conversation. I asked him how he sleeps at night and then hung up.

It should be noted that when I dropped it off the last time, a technician came out and rode in the car with me and CONFIRMED the shuddering/slipping and also the grinding while upshifting into third. Suddenly it acted "normal" after I left the dealership.

So I really hope yours gets fixed and I have a little more precedence to act on. I'm pretty sure my only option now is to call the attorney generals office and file a complaint against Ford.
Damn, so it just started working fine mysteriously after they confirmed it? They didnt tell you anything?

I wonder are there actual 2012+ models that dont exhibit this issue whatsoever? Its 3pm here and no calls yet. Dropped it off at 11am, so who knows. Ill follow up with the dealership in about an hour. Ill keep this post updated.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
NemesisS197
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Looks like Im taking my "meh" Mazda 3 rental home with me. The tech was able to reproduce the problem and they are busy working on getting it fixed (Woohoo!). Supposedly by tomorrow morning. I had asked if I could get a call back with exactly what the issue was when they do find out so maybe Ill get some info later this evening.

Overall very happy so far with how it's being handled. Just to note I am still covered under the 3 year / 36, but I also purchased a Premium Care package to take me well past 100+k.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Damn, so it just started working fine mysteriously after they confirmed it? They didnt tell you anything?

Fine for them allegedly. It slipped pulling out of the dealership parking lot and all the way home.

I've commented before on this forum, for some reason Ford and dealerships are bending over backwards for some people and completely screwing the others. To have somebody who I've never met, never has been in my car, tell me that my concerns are imaginary and that there is no problem with my vehicle is amazing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks