I need help changing my headlight bulbs. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
jinzalacoster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70509
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Focus SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 jinzalacoster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile I need help changing my headlight bulbs.

I cant for the life of me figure out how to change my lights in my car. I have a 2010 focus ses coupe, and The book said I have to take the screws off and take the headlights out and the grille partially, I tried taking the headlight off the car and it would not come off. Please if anyone has any suggestions. Please post them. Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
uh60james
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6968
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 uh60james Good Standing Member
I believe there are 3 screws, 1 is hidden under the grill. Did you get that one?
Team Duratec #39 / Sedan Revolution #35
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I seriously thought this was a joke at first glance but damn couldn't they have just stuck with the screw cap? LOL.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70099
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony ATX SES w/ Leather & Sun

FF Reputation: 5 andrewsfm Good Standing Member
The front chrome/black mesh grille with the Ford logo needs to come out completely. There are two retaining clips between the bottom of it, and the bumper that need to be released for it to pull out towards you. Once that is out, the third screw for each bulb is exposed. Undo those, and then pull straight up on the far outer sides of each lens housing, push down the bumper part near where the 3rd screw was, and pull forward.

The manual says nothing about removing the front grille, but it really needs to be done to get them out.

Wish there was an easier way to explain this, cause none of what I said above will make sense unless you've done it before.
DEI 2-way Alarm & Start / DDM Ballasts + CAP 6000k 55w HIDs in Eagle Eyes Projectors / 6000k 55w HID Fogs / All INT+EXT LEDs+7W LED Reverse / K&N Air Filter / Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires / 35%/20% Tint / Black Grille / Maxxsonics MX-1 + 2500W Stereo
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
jinzalacoster
Focus Rookie

thanks alot
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
jinzalacoster
Focus Rookie

Thank you so much for the info I will try that soon. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
uh60james
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6968
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 uh60james Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfm View Post
The manual says nothing about removing the front grille, but it really needs to be done to get them out.
Actually, the newest revision does. Edition 3 or revision 3 whatever its called. For the 2010 anyways, I just looked at mine. But if you have an older manual you would have no way of knowing to take it off.
Team Duratec #39 / Sedan Revolution #35
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70099
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony ATX SES w/ Leather & Sun

FF Reputation: 5 andrewsfm Good Standing Member
Here's the best link with photos on how to remove the grille and change the bulbs... http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161006
DEI 2-way Alarm & Start / DDM Ballasts + CAP 6000k 55w HIDs in Eagle Eyes Projectors / 6000k 55w HID Fogs / All INT+EXT LEDs+7W LED Reverse / K&N Air Filter / Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires / 35%/20% Tint / Black Grille / Maxxsonics MX-1 + 2500W Stereo
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
evanjfrancis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58870
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 evanjfrancis Great Standing Member
wow, i cant belive the 10s dont just have the screwcap like previous models, that sucks.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
UPDATE; Just used this procedure to install PIAA H13 bulbs in a 2010 Focus SEL

Procedure worked perfectly.

I used a pair of very small screwdrivers to pop the 4 expansion plugs that retain the top of the grill. I laid one down and used it as a fulcrum and gently put the blade of the 2nd screwdriver under the head of the plug and removed it with no damage.

With the 4 plugs out of the way . . . I was able to reach the clips in the lower portion of the grill. I'm not sure the plugs really do anything. The key here is that there are 4 alignment tabs. A tab on the grill slips under each of them to hold the grill.

Between each pair of 2 tabs on each side is a smaller tab that has a lip on the back. This lip slips over and edge and "clicks" into place.

At first I was trying to remove the expansion plug until I learned it did nothing. The key is to simply wiggle the grill gently and release the tab that hangs over the lip.

I was able to change both lamps in roughly 30 minutes.

Thanks to those who posted the photos and the procedure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->