Low MPG on new 2012 Titanium Hatch - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #121
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

Points 757, Level 14
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra1969 View Post
Car headed back to a different dealer tomorrow to get a look at my mpg issue. Still have not seen above 30 mpg in months and no matter how many highway miles I put on it. Got a 10 hour trip planned for the end of the year. Should be able to get another all highway run again. If its under 30mpg again I'm might head to a chevy dealer for a car and a lawyer to get rid of the Focus.
Keep us posted with the outcome. I have the same issue but just gave up the battle, I hardly get 26mpg (combined highway/city), otherwise if I only do city mileage, I get 18-19mpg. I reported it several times to the dealer and they claim they cannot do anything, and if I want to have it checked, Ford does not pick up the labour/test charges since that is not covered by warranty.

I see folks with AWD SUV's reporting better MPG's on Fuelly.com ... it's so frustrating!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #122
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
I reported it several times to the dealer and they claim they cannot do anything, and if I want to have it checked, Ford does not pick up the labour/test charges since that is not covered by warranty.
frustrating!
Didn't know they wouldn't cover testing ... how is it not warranty? Wouldn't it be parts of some kind not playing nice or whatever? I'd be livid if they wouldn't even test at least.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #123
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

Points 757, Level 14
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
Didn't know they wouldn't cover testing ... how is it not warranty? Wouldn't it be parts of some kind not playing nice or whatever? I'd be livid if they wouldn't even test at least.
I didn't believe the manager at my dealer, especially that was completely dismissing the issue and claimed that most consumers are fooled by believing the EPA stickers and Ford advertising around their fuel economy!

I contacted Ford Canada directly and they did confirm that they do not pick up any charges related to testing MPG's... however, if their tests leads to any "conclusions" whereby the car is at fault, then they would reimburse the customer.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #124
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
I didn't believe the manager at my dealer, especially that was completely dismissing the issue and claimed that most consumers are fooled by believing the EPA stickers and Ford advertising around their fuel economy!

I contacted Ford Canada directly and they did confirm that they do not pick up any charges related to testing MPG's... however, if their tests leads to any "conclusions" whereby the car is at fault, then they would reimburse the customer.
Interesting. You would think the sample size is large enough now that if there are people out there getting horrible mileage, they would at least acknowledge that sometime 'may' be wrong with the car.

And to the dealer talking about the EPA stuff... yea they're not 100% realistic in their testing, but if they are that far off, Ford and the EPA would have legal issues from presenting them as such. Ask Hyundai (I think). There's at least 1 major brand going through legal issues with exacerbated mileage claims on the window stickers.

I'd keep up the fight (if possible) since you're definitely not the only one.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #125
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:

I sympathize with you guys on this but I can kind of see Ford's position. They don't warranty fuel economy per se, so if poor fuel economy is your only symptom then they won't touch it. It's up to you to find the root cause of the problem which may not show up for a long time via excessive wear or something.

I'd suggest you pick up a Scangauge or similar device, go out to a flat country road on a calm day and see how the MPG readings compare to the graph that I did, which closely matches a graph published by Popular Mechanics. If you can show repeatedly that your results are significantly lower than these results, maybe the dealer and/or Ford corporate will be a little more interested, given that you in effect did the testing.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #126
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99323
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Focus Titianum

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Tra1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
The lawyer likely won't be able to help. MPG issues (not saying yours are) can be put right back on the driver saying they're too hard on the gas, stop and go, etc... Lemon law would be your best bet, but you would have to have had the same problem 3 times or more within X time frame to go that route. And since it sounds like nothing was 'wrong', that wouldn't apply.

I don't blame you looking for another car though, that's for sure.

I also noticed you're in Michigan ... I wonder how much the cold plays with the MPGs. I live in central IL and when I drove ~50 miles (fresh tank of gas, reset the trip and mpg calculators) in 22 degree weather I only got 32mpg going 70mph. On trips to NE with speeds of 'at least' 70 mph, I would get 36 or more over the entire trip. But that shouldn't be the main issue, especially since it has gone on for so long with your situation.
I know a lawyer would be the answer. Sometimes I just vent. I just cannot believe since I've owned the car iI have not see over 30 mpg except for 3 occasions and the high was 34 mpg which had more city miles then the time iI got 29 mpg with all highway miles. As far as the weather it's still pretty mild up here. temps had fell off a bit and if it the cold affecting it I hate to see what happens when I hit the single digets. I just can't figure out why I got the fuel mileage out of my fiesta and drove that car like a stock car and I can't get anything in the upper 30's out of this one no matter what I do. Then I see at Fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov that Ti owners are getting on average 32 mpg. I have a friend here at work that drives a SEL same tire size motor and trans and she get 32 to 34 most of the time and 42 on the highway on two seperate occasions. She also drive the same route to work as me and her's get 32 all the time. Also she drives at 75 mph on the highway and get 42 mpg.

AAAHHHH!!!!!! I don't get it.

I am so pissed
Moonroof, Sony MFT, siriusxm
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #127
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99323
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Focus Titianum

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Tra1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I sympathize with you guys on this but I can kind of see Ford's position. They don't warranty fuel economy per se, so if poor fuel economy is your only symptom then they won't touch it. It's up to you to find the root cause of the problem which may not show up for a long time via excessive wear or something.

I'd suggest you pick up a Scangauge or similar device, go out to a flat country road on a calm day and see how the MPG readings compare to the graph that I did, which closely matches a graph published by Popular Mechanics. If you can show repeatedly that your results are significantly lower than these results, maybe the dealer and/or Ford corporate will be a little more interested, given that you in effect did the testing.

What model of scanguage are you using? There are four different ones offered on thier website.
Moonroof, Sony MFT, siriusxm
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #128
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,892, Level 66
Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66 Points: 9,892, Level: 66
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
What model of scanguage are you using? There are four different ones offered on thier website.
If you look at the chart it mentions the Scangauge E.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #129
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Yep, Scangauge E. I think it retailed for around $95. I've been wanting to sell mine since I finished what I wanted to do with it. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #130
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Keep us posted with the outcome. I have the same issue but just gave up the battle, I hardly get 26mpg (combined highway/city), otherwise if I only do city mileage, I get 18-19mpg. I reported it several times to the dealer and they claim they cannot do anything, and if I want to have it checked, Ford does not pick up the labour/test charges since that is not covered by warranty.

I see folks with AWD SUV's reporting better MPG's on Fuelly.com ... it's so frustrating!
Just did a manual calculation on my RDX on my second fill up since purchased.
11.2 liters/100 or 20.0 MPG US. This is straight city stop and go traffic.
My Focus was averaging 10.4 liters/100.
115 additional HP, AWD and about 700 pounds heavier. WTF Ford?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.