2012 Ford Focus Vs 2012 Subaru Impreza - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
LostContrails
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83543
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 LostContrails Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post

Looking at the photos there is almost no hesitation to crown the Focus champion of style between the two.

Good to hear the new Impreza isn't as crappy as my first impressions from sitting inside it at the showroom though.
6 Speed Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The state of Colorado might be the Subi capital of america and one of the few places that I can see several STI daily and most are topped with ski and cargo racks. The Focus on the other hand isn't real common here so it's easier to stand out in the crowd vs owning an Impreza.

Here's my rack which is the same version on my 4Runner.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
The bigger deal is the impreza will probably last 2x longer than the focus, even with proper maintenance.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
next_ceo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94599
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE, 2008 Cadillac CTS

FF Reputation: 1 next_ceo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
The bigger deal is the impreza will probably last 2x longer than the focus, even with proper maintenance.
To my knowledge, European Fords are long lasting...at least that's the impression I got from my friends oversees. I hope that's the case, with our cars.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank102 View Post
IMO the CVT transmission belongs in ATV's, scooters, and nothing else. They don't belong in cars.
Agreed, I do hate driving CVT cars but for the economy minded you can't argue with the new Altima's 38 mpg rating, due to the CVT. And it looks like Honda has chosen the CVT route. Thankfully Ford killed theirs after trying it in the Five Hundred...
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.awesome View Post
The material on the inside of the car was pretty interesting. The roof liner and the visor defiantly felt like what the focus should have used. Much softer and just felt higher quality. The seats felt squishier, not sure if that would be good or bad in the long run, but at the time felt a little more comfortable. However all of the other dash and door materials felt hard and looks pretty cheap compared to the Focus. There also wasent near as much tech in the car as the Focus.
It's good to hear the Subie was defiant about it's interior! The Impreza and the Focus were the two finalists on my shopping list but for whatever reason it was a real hassle getting a test ride in an Impretzel so I never ended up test driving one. When I drove a Focus I was very impressed and eagerly proceeded along that path.

The 4WD system is not traditional Subaru, it apparently is not actually driving all wheels at all times which accounts for most of the improved fuel economy. As far as the CVT, unless it's really bad I could get used to it. I've driven a lot of CVTs and they just take getting used to, but if you want boy racer fantasies dancing in your head when driving your street car they are not for you. The feeling of the engine revving without feeling there's a commensurate increase in the car's forward movement is part of the deal. That's the tranny finding and running on the optimum ratio for the current conditions. CVTs are much more fuel efficient that traditional automatic transmissions.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The state of Colorado might be the Subi capital of america and one of the few places that I can see several STI daily and most are topped with ski and cargo racks. The Focus on the other hand isn't real common here so it's easier to stand out in the crowd vs owning an Impreza.

Here's my rack which is the same version on my 4Runner.
That is one thing i wish the Focus had, Roof rails. Sure i can buy some, but those sit on the paint and i would rather have some that are just always there if i need them and dont potentially mess up the paint job.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I lined the feet with a little felt so they minimalized the scuffing and the rack is removed as soon as my need ends for it. It hurts MPGs.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
quattro1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97618
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 quattro1 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the pictures comparing the two. I also considered an Impreza as we bought an Outback in '08 when our first daughter was born, then had to sell 3 years later when we had twins and got a Flex w/Ecoboost.

Really loved the Outback which is why I wanted to look at the Impreza when looking for a commuter car. Went to a dealer to driver one and nobody came to help me and didn't see any manual's on the lot, looked like all they had was automatic base models. So I went and drove a Focus and ended up ordering a manual Titanium. I still wish I could have driven the Impreza though.

Couple things I really wish the Focus had that the Impreza did:
1) Sliding cover for the rear instead of a removable shelf
2) Some type of rack up top to mount some racks
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
SterlingArcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100651
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatch, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 SterlingArcher Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro1 View Post

1) Sliding cover for the rear instead of a removable shelf
Yes! I hate the shelf. May look a little better, but the practicality sucks, especially if you're out and spontaneously want to buy something oversized.

Bookmarks & Social Networks