Google Maps no longer works? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
I've only used it for Google maps, not mapquest, but that is how it works - when you activate Sync, it'll ask if you want to download the directions.

I haven't been able to get it to work from my phone because the option to send to car doesn't exist on the Google maps app as far as I know.
It doesn't/didn't but the SYNC destinations app does. Just tried it on my iPhone and it's pretty neat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
It doesn't/didn't but the SYNC destinations app does. Just tried it on my iPhone and it's pretty neat.
So you located a destination using Mapquest on your phone and were able to send that to Sync?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Umm... why was I never informed of this feature?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Dysan911
Focus Addict

There's a mapquest app for the Iphone. Can you use that to send to Sync?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Umm... why was I never informed of this feature?
Your trusty ol' salesman didn't tell you this either? Surprise! Most of them probably don't even know.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Dysan911
Focus Addict

I still don't see a send to phone option when I visit mapquest.com

Edit: I found it. I guess I needed to put in an actual destination before that option became avail. I tested it out a moment ago in my car. Pretty cool.

FYI the Mapquest Iphone app does not offer the ability to SEND TO.

Last edited by Dysan911; 08-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
sync destinations from the android store works better. only problem is that you cannot use it while going more than 5mph.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.fordui&hl=en
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
In other news, Apple is expected to release iOS6 next month which drops Googlemaps for their own Map software. It would be neat if they integrated it with SYNC... not to say its necessarily related to the above...

And as a side note, who is Dr Pepper on syncmyride.com? Hits up every single thread with multiple complaints... way past the point of calling wolf.
Actually, that won't change anything. the 'Maps' application in iOS has never been Google's production. The only thing that came from Google was the mapping backend (meaning, not the application itself, but the maps that it streamed). Any functionality that existed or was missing was completely because of Apple, and had nothing to do with Google.

That doesn't change the fact that it would be *incredible* if they integrated with SYNC. I'd love the same thing on the Android side...Ford released an app to basically do the same thing, but it's a horrible app and it doesn't work anytime you're moving. Useless if you're walking to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding YOUR logic...

Why would Ford be "supporting" GM in the first place? That's ridiculous. I think you read the whole thing backwards. He's saying he thinks Google stopped supporting Ford and GM because now both services no longer work with Google Maps.

Why would Ford stopping supporting Google have anything to do with Google Maps and GM not working as well?

Ooooh I see what you're saying. For some reason I thought the meaning was that the OnStar mapping application couldn't send directions to SYNC anymore haha I forgot OnStar is the system that's loaded in the GM cars. Woopsie.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
sync destinations from the android store works better. only problem is that you cannot use it while going more than 5mph.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.fordui&hl=en
I actually think that's a great design feature. While it's true that you may want a passenger to use the app while you drive, there would probably be a multitude of fools who would try to use the thing while driving. I'm glad Ford had the foresight to prevent that kind of thing and spared us all at least a few less distracted drivers.

FWIW, I find the SYNC Destinations iPhone app to be pretty good. Acquires and sends destinations to the car very quickly. I think integration into the phone's native map software would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Actually, that won't change anything. the 'Maps' application in iOS has never been Google's production. The only thing that came from Google was the mapping backend (meaning, not the application itself, but the maps that it streamed). Any functionality that existed or was missing was completely because of Apple, and had nothing to do with Google.
True, Apple's app but they were still throwing cash at Google for use of that backend. Just like the native YouTube app. Apple's app but they were giving cash to Google (and exactly why the YouTube app will not be part of iOS6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
That doesn't change the fact that it would be *incredible* if they integrated with SYNC. I'd love the same thing on the Android side...Ford released an app to basically do the same thing, but it's a horrible app and it doesn't work anytime you're moving. Useless if you're walking to your car.
Totally agree. I'd love to see the integration but as far as iOS goes I just can't see them going out of their way to make it integrate seamlessly with something called "Sync by Microsoft". Just doesn't seem their style!

Bookmarks & Social Networks