Google Maps no longer works? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Revelations
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101027
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Google Maps no longer works?

I tried sending a location to my car via Google Maps, and when I clicked on "Send to Car," Ford was not on the drop down. Which is weird because I just used it a few days ago. I searched the Google Help Forums and found this:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/ford$20sync/maps/GtdTxd6CDE0/1XH9Eb_JRbQJ

Fortunately, Mapquest still works, but did anyone hear about this? Or know more information about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Some stuff about it here:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...yncmb&tid=5752
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Revelations
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101027
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
Thanks for the link.

Seems a little weird, I love that feature, it makes using the Nav system that much easier, I'm just glad you can still use MapQuest.

Still curious if it was Ford or Google that discontinued the use, I'm thinking, Google since OnStar also doesn't work anymore.

I wonder if Ford will add Bing Maps to it.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
hope it's temporary because that was a killer feature for me (especially since the POI system on my nav is so slow and freezes)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
BadCoder
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99331
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BadCoder Good Standing Member
I didn't know about this service.. Very nice..
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Thanks for the link.

Seems a little weird, I love that feature, it makes using the Nav system that much easier, I'm just glad you can still use MapQuest.

Still curious if it was Ford or Google that discontinued the use, I'm thinking, Google since OnStar also doesn't work anymore.

I wonder if Ford will add Bing Maps to it.
I'm not sure I understand your logic...are you saying it's more logical that two separate companies decided, at the same time, to stop supporting Ford than it is for Ford to make a decision on not supporting alternatives from their competitors?

My strong assumption is that Ford decided not to support Google and GM (OnStar) because they see them as competitors. Horrible decision for Ford...a vast majority of our nation uses Google Maps for computer mapping applications. Completely ridiculous to block that functionality.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

Points 3,651, Level 38
Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
In other news, Apple is expected to release iOS6 next month which drops Googlemaps for their own Map software. It would be neat if they integrated it with SYNC... not to say its necessarily related to the above...

And as a side note, who is Dr Pepper on syncmyride.com? Hits up every single thread with multiple complaints... way past the point of calling wolf.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
So is this supposed to work like this? You have to use a Home PC to open mapquest and then setup your travel destination and then choose send to phone. Then in your car you activate Sync services and somewhere along there is an option to download the map from your phone?

WHat if your in the car already. Can you use your phone to look up the destination, POI and send it directly to Sync? I find all to often that I can't find a POI or the Nav voice recognition blows and If I say "LOWES" I get back something no where even close to that so Its easier to have my passenger look it up with the phone.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,256, Level 35
Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I'm not sure I understand your logic...are you saying it's more logical that two separate companies decided, at the same time, to stop supporting Ford than it is for Ford to make a decision on not supporting alternatives from their competitors?

My strong assumption is that Ford decided not to support Google and GM (OnStar) because they see them as competitors. Horrible decision for Ford...a vast majority of our nation uses Google Maps for computer mapping applications. Completely ridiculous to block that functionality.
I'm not sure I'm understanding YOUR logic...

Why would Ford be "supporting" GM in the first place? That's ridiculous. I think you read the whole thing backwards. He's saying he thinks Google stopped supporting Ford and GM because now both services no longer work with Google Maps.

Why would Ford stopping supporting Google have anything to do with Google Maps and GM not working as well?

Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

Points 497, Level 9
Points: 497, Level: 9 Points: 497, Level: 9 Points: 497, Level: 9
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
So is this supposed to work like this? You have to use a Home PC to open mapquest and then setup your travel destination and then choose send to phone. Then in your car you activate Sync services and somewhere along there is an option to download the map from your phone?

WHat if your in the car already. Can you use your phone to look up the destination, POI and send it directly to Sync? I find all to often that I can't find a POI or the Nav voice recognition blows and If I say "LOWES" I get back something no where even close to that so Its easier to have my passenger look it up with the phone.
I've only used it for Google maps, not mapquest, but that is how it works - when you activate Sync, it'll ask if you want to download the directions.

I haven't been able to get it to work from my phone because the option to send to car doesn't exist on the Google maps app as far as I know.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.