Who Traded Down? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Pottski
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100292
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 Pottski Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Who Traded Down?

So, I'm just curious to know how many people came to the new focus from bigger, more powerful, or more expensive cars. As great as it is that people may be coming from a foreign car to the focus—I think it is less likely to see someone come from something "higher-end"—and therefore, shows just how much appeal the new focus has. If you did make that kind of switch, what pushed you over the edge?

I got rid of my fully loaded 2010 Dodge Charger R/T w/ the Road and Track package, which was good for 372 HP and 400 TQ. It was pretty much my dream car two years ago when I got it and it was an amazing machine. However, I put almost 40,000 miles on it in two years and it already needed new tires (on 20" wheels). I was spending close to $300 a month for gas as well. Real kicker for me, though, was the fact that my wife was driving an 8 year old Jeep Liberty and started showing interest in something new. We have started a family and she was wanting something bigger than a compact SUV/crossover. I knew we couldn't afford payments on both the Charger and a new Explorer (which I new she wanted), so I started looking for a smaller car that I thought I could tolerate. I looked into all the domestic and foreign options, but I kept coming back to the Focus. It was just the right car for me. So now I have been driving my SE w/ sport package and MTX for about a month and I couldn't be happier. I haven't really missed the charger at all, and my wife absolutely loves the new Explorer.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has similar stories.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Blizzard35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88463
What I Drive: 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 2 Blizzard35 Good Standing Member
I came to my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium from a 2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD. I loved the car, but the mid-cycle refresh Ford did on the Fusion turned me off big time.

Now, the 2013 Fusion is a "whole different ball game", that car is just stunning IMO.

I really love my Focus (for the most part), but the fact that I have been dealing with MFT crap for over a year now and the DCT problems, bad paint application etc. have me thinking I may consider getting into a 2014 Fusion in the Fall of 2013.

Of course, if they get the MFT/DCT problems fixed by then, or if they bring over the great looking Focus Wagon from Europe, I may be convinced to stay with a Focus.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Traded a 2006 Mustang GT for this. Can't say I like it, but its more of a family car.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
fixxer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100842
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Focus Titanium Hb

FF Reputation: 1 fixxer Good Standing Member
I came from a 2008 Infiniti G35 to a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback. Miss some of the HP but I like the handling and practicality on the FF better (going through a love/hate relationship with the DCT though).
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
I had a MKV VW Jetta Wolfsburg with the 2.0T. Not any bigger, but more powerful. While I miss the 2.0T, and the Focus has been to the dealer way too often, I like the Focus a lot more. Unlike our Focus and GTI, I always felt like the Mexican Jetta was going to fall apart.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
erato
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97294
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Ecoboost estate

FF Reputation: 1 erato Good Standing Member
My old S320 is now in little use, though I have not sold it.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
trevoracus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100405
What I Drive: sterling grey

FF Reputation: 1 trevoracus Good Standing Member
I came from a 2006 Dodge Magnum... that boat was great. Except in the snow, or at the pumps, or come tire replacement time, or lower control arms, or brakes...

My wife has a Journey so we didnt need to have 2 big cars. I commute 130KM a day so the savings in gas alone pays for the new car.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Traded in my wife's '08 Taurus SEL. Wife now drives my V8 Explorer. The Taurus was MUCH larger in the cabin and the trunk, had much more power (Ford's 263hp V6) and was much more comfortable on the highway. However it handled fairly crappy and got roughly 30% fuel economy.

I'm much more proud to drive the Focus to work, it looks sexier, gets great mileage and handles way better. The Taurus's front facia in particular was pretty gaudy.

I looked at it financially though in order to justify another new car purchase. We were slightly better off financally buying the Focus with its fuel savings than paying off the Taurus with 40k miles who's bumper to bumper warranty had just expired and which was going to need new tires soon.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Luki13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92156
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Tri-coat SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Luki13 Good Standing Member
We traded down from and SEL Edge. It was such a gas hog and we didn't really need the AWD. It did have a much bigger trunk though :)

2007 VW Rabbit - Modded
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
blacksnakesvt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86877
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST (ST3)

FF Reputation: 1 blacksnakesvt Good Standing Member
I went from an 03 cobra to a 12 focus :( miss my cobra so much. Want to cry thinking about it lol But i drive 120 miles a day so i needed something that gave me better MGP's.

Bookmarks & Social Networks