Trouble Code P0320 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Trouble Code P0320

Edited with correct info now that I have the print out in front of me.

Trouble code: p0320 = Ignition engine speed input circuit.

July 18th- went out to leave after the car sat all night. Took two long cranks before it started. Was fine after.

July 20th- got the car pack up and ready to go to fitf and all it would do is crank, took several attempts before it finally started probably 8-9 attempts. Check engine light came on so I drove over to oreillys and had them check it, it read Ignition engine speed input circuit. Neither they or me have ever seen it before. They printed out possible issues and fixes.

Possible fixes:
- Change Crank position sensor
- replace fuel pump
- replace ignition coil
- check to see if anti-theft system is operational
- Replace engine wire harness

I had already replaced the cps a month ago so I went with the coil being I could hear the pump every time I turned the key on. Car was fine again after the coil.

July 30th- after over a week of working just fine I went out to go to work and all it would do is crank but this time it wouldn't start. I left the car at home and got a ride to work. I had my wife run to oreillys to get some new plugs cause I read in my Chilton if car don't start it could be bad or worn plugs. When I got of work I tried again and it started right up with the check engine light on. I went a head and replaced the plugs, let it sit all night and it started today not right away but on the first try with the light still on. I ran to oreillys again and it came up the same as above.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it though maybe the anti theft might be shorting out and cutting the car off or maybe a engine ground going bad what do you think it might be?

Last edited by TheGlassMaker; 08-01-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

As mentioned above it started today before work it hesitated but it started on the first try. Took it to work and it started normal after. Got gas and started again just fine. So maybe it just needed plugs, I dunno. I'm going to swap out wires too just to be safe. The check engine light IS still on but I know it takes a few starts to shut off. I might go to oriellys tomorrow and have the code erased, and I guess I'll see what happens.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

OP Edited with correct info now that I have the print out in front of me.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
title edited per request :)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Thanks man.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
As far as my understanding, if it were the anti theft it wouldn't even crank.. On my mother's windstar anti theft was faulty and it wouldn't crank at all.. no noise no nothing...

My best guess would be to check the ignition coil now weirdly enough i would also check the starter.. I know a bad starter doesn't shoot a code iirc... but next time it doesn't start tap it with a screw driver and see if starts

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

The only thing is the starter cranks like nobodys buisness. Guy at work suggested a ignition module. But oreillys only has the msd for sale @ $700. ;(
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok, go check the alternator plug-in connector. Pull on each individual wire and see if one feels loose. We have seen where many times someone will have intermittent difficulties due to loose wires in the coil plug-in.

Beyond that, remove that CPS and see if there are metal flakes on the pickup. That will confuse those sometimes. What brand of crank position sensor did you use?

For diagnostic purposes, do you have access to an old timing light or a spark plug tester? Either of these will tell you if you are missing spark or fuel when this happens. A strong fuel smell possibly combined with a reduction in starter speed after several tries would be a clue that you're not getting spark.

Also, what is the mileage on the vehicle, and is it possible that the timing belt needs to be replaced? Have you inspected it?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Ok, go check the alternator plug-in connector. Pull on each individual wire and see if one feels loose. We have seen where many times someone will have intermittent difficulties due to loose wires in the coil plug-in.

Beyond that, remove that CPS and see if there are metal flakes on the pickup. That will confuse those sometimes. What brand of crank position sensor did you use?

For diagnostic purposes, do you have access to an old timing light or a spark plug tester? Either of these will tell you if you are missing spark or fuel when this happens. A strong fuel smell possibly combined with a reduction in starter speed after several tries would be a clue that you're not getting spark.

Also, what is the mileage on the vehicle, and is it possible that the timing belt needs to be replaced? Have you inspected it?
No I didn't check to see if it wasn't getting spark I was always taught the ol screw drive test. I does how ever crank and crank and crank if id continue it would run the battery down I just stop before it does. I took the plugs out to look at them and they was wore down bad so I changed them.
I would not doubt the timing belt need replaced I was just hope on that as a last resort. I will for sure take a look at it though. I have this weekend off so I will finally be able to take a good look at it and report back. I will check the cps out too. It work as of right now but with the light still on I don't think its fixed.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Ok, go check the alternator plug-in connector.
Pretty sure whynot meant coil plug in connector.
My experience is that this code is thrown by a bad coil or a faulty coil connector as already pointed out. Coils are cheap; test with a used one from the scrapyard. Replacement coil "pigtails" are available.

P0320 - Ignition Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
The ignition engine speed sensor input signal to PCM is continuously monitored. The test fails when the signal indicates that two successive erratic profile ignition pickup (PIP) pulses have occurred.
Loose wires/connectors.
Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, wires and plugs)
On board transmitter (2-way radio)
The DTC indicates that two successive erratic PIP pulses occurred.

Bookmarks & Social Networks