05 Focus fuel pump going out? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
FleaWannaBe
WHITE ON BLACK :)

Fan#: 45837
What I Drive: 2005 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FleaWannaBe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
05 Focus fuel pump going out?

When I go to start my car and "bypass" accessory on my ignition my car has a very hard time starting, if at all. If I put my ignition on accessory I can hear a odd "noise" coming from the rear of my car, about far back as the rear wheel. The "noise" goes away after 2-3 seconds. If I wait for the "noise" to stop my car would start up. Now the problem is getting worse, even if I let the "noise" go away my car is still having a hard time starting. I remember my dads van doing this and it ended up being the fuel pump. Just want to semi-verify before I buy the part.

Car has about 127,000 miles on it.

Thanks!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,414, Level 86
Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Does not sound like the physical fuel pump is bad.

The "noise" is the fuel pump. When you turn the key to "on" the fuel pump primes. This takes a second or two.
If you "start" the car the fuel pump still has to prime before the car will start. It will run on lower fuel pressure, just not well.

IIRC there is a TSB for long crank/hard starts that Ford can do. It may help some. It's an ECU reflash and will cost money. How much I can't say. Might be enough that it may be worth looking into an Xcal and custom tune.

But just to cover bases,
When was the Fuel Filter last replaced?
If you don't know or it's been a while, replace it. It's cheap and relatively easy to do. It also rules out 1 possibility.

Do that first and see if anything changes or improves.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
FleaWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Does not sound like the physical fuel pump is bad.

The "noise" is the fuel pump. When you turn the key to "on" the fuel pump primes. This takes a second or two.
If you "start" the car the fuel pump still has to prime before the car will start. It will run on lower fuel pressure, just not well.

IIRC there is a TSB for long crank/hard starts that Ford can do. It may help some. It's an ECU reflash and will cost money. How much I can't say. Might be enough that it may be worth looking into an Xcal and custom tune.

But just to cover bases,
When was the Fuel Filter last replaced?
If you don't know or it's been a while, replace it. It's cheap and relatively easy to do. It also rules out 1 possibility.

Do that first and see if anything changes or improves.
I do plan on replacing the fuel filter first. Even though you say that the actual fuel pump is not bad, just the fuel pump primes, changing the entire fuel pump should fix the problem, correct? Or can I just buy the primes? Really do not have the desire to flash my ecu.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,595, Level 30
Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
search long crank times,you will find plenty of info. common 2005-2007 problem. I haven't had the dealer work on mine yet,but what I have found works most time of the time is turn the key on and wait for the seat belt chime to stop before I try to start the engine.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
FleaWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordfan View Post
search long crank times,you will find plenty of info. common 2005-2007 problem. I haven't had the dealer work on mine yet,but what I have found works most time of the time is turn the key on and wait for the seat belt chime to stop before I try to start the engine.
Isnt that just avoiding the inevitable? Why not just replace the pump?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,414, Level 86
Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaWannaBe
I do plan on replacing the fuel filter first. Even though you say that the actual fuel pump is not bad, just the fuel pump primes, changing the entire fuel pump should fix the problem, correct? Or can I just buy the primes? Really do not have the desire to flash my ecu.

Thanks
Huh?
Buy primes?

Thinking this is over your head and you should bring it in to be diagnosed but,

Primes - When the key is turned to the On position power is sent to the fuel pump, it is on until fuel pressure reaches ~40psi, then turns off. This happens, or should, every time the key is turned form off to the on position.

It's not something you can buy or replace.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,595, Level 30
Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaWannaBe View Post
Isnt that just avoiding the inevitable? Why not just replace the pump?
you can do that if you like,but others have done it and there wasn't much of a difference in crank time. does it crank for a long time EVERY time you try to start it,or just every now and then? my car does it a few times a week,other times it starts right up. does it really bad after being ran for only a couple minutes(like only driving a few blocks,running inside to do something and coming out right away) and not warmed up fully.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The fuel tank must be removed in order to replace the fuel pump.

I'm not convinced it's the fuel pump just yet. Fuel filters have a 20-30k mile life. If yours has never been changed, then the fuel pump has to work harder to get the fuel up to pressure along the whole line.

One sign of a fuel pump going bad is that it takes more than 5 seconds for the pump to prime the system as Iminhell described. If yours is only on for 2-3 secs, then that's normal. Shorter is better, of course, but most likely your problem is elsewhere.

Starting is probably the hardest thing your engine does- especially cold start after sitting for a few days or overnight. The mix must be rich to start and run until the engine warms up- which takes about 1-2 mins in modern cars. That's why the 05 models had problems starting- the mix was too lean for fuel conservation. If you have a vacuum leak- like the PCV line under the intake manifold, a loose intake manifold, or a bad brake booster- then starting will be even more difficult.

Until you find the problem, you can try to see if this will help make it easier. When you go to start the engine cold, turn the key and let it turn over just a few cranks- like 3, about 1 second of cranking. Turn the key back off, and start again normally. This should richen the mix enough and it will start within 1 second. I wouldn't turn the key off a second time for a 3rd crank if it doesn't fire up. That might cause flooding, and then you'll need to know how to remedy that situation- which sounds a lot like a dead battery.

Just in case- to remedy flooding: key off, press accelerator to the floor and hold, turn key to start and crank until the hear the engine sputter. Stop cranking, release accelerator, and start engine. The engine will not start in "emergency start mode" when you're holding the accelerator to the floor, that gives it the signal not to shoot fuel. Go out and try it if you want to without trying to crank it normally first- it will just crank and crank and never fire. That works on all EFI vehicles I know of.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
FleaWannaBe

What about then noise I am hearing?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,204, Level 35
Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
He already told you. The noise is the pump priming up, it happens for 2-3 seconds every time you turn key on. Sounds like a whine or whir coming from gas tank area.

If noisy and you've never noticed it before then it COULD be going bad, getting noisier is a sign of one going bad. Normally the noise is so slight most people never notice it.

It can be erratic, car starts fine for a week and then out of the blue won't once.

Change filter for sure if it's never been done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.