Do you need to wax a new car? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
mrk874
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14444
What I Drive: 2005 red auto ZX4 SE 2.0 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 mrk874 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you need to wax a new car?

I got my new Focus last month, and I'm wondering if I need to wax it before winter, or if it has wax or what?

What's the deal? Winter here in NH gets harsh.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
svtfocus954
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12962
What I Drive: 04 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus954 Good Standing Member
not gonna hurt, if ya feel lazy buy the "wax as you dry" stuff and jus wash it.

dave
Old 11-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #3
Kamui
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10647
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX3 5SP Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Kamui Good Standing Member
It will be best to put wax on it. Use claybar to get all the dirt off, then wax. Their is no wax on the cars, they just wash them and thats all.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Wax on, Wax off.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
mrk874
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks, I think I'll have to wax it then.

Is it sufficient to go to a do it yourself carwash and use the spray on wax thing after washing it?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Uhhh... couple points. One, you're never supposed to wax a new paint job. Waxing new paint seals it, which prevents the paint from fully curing. *BUT* point two is, your car probably sat around for plenty of time after being painted and before being sold to you AND of course it was baked on at the factory as opposed to say getting a repaint at a body shop that didn't have a bake booth. It's probably safe to wax it at this point. Spray on wax is not going to be much use to you, especially living in a place with harsh winters. You want a good solid coat of wax on there if you want to protect your paint from the elements for any length of time, and the spray on wax will wear off about as quickly as you sprayed it on (okay that's an exaggeration but you get the idea).
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
mrk874
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks SVT4ME. That's the answer I was looking for.

So if my car was manufactured in May, it should be OK to wax.

Can you reccommend a brand of wax, or is it not a huge deal. I currently have some armor all brand that works pretty good.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
If it was made in May then you're most surely okay for waxing. Long timers here know that I like Einszett waxes and polish. In fact I need to get around to buying some more myself, I'm all out. Einszett is a synthetic and is made in Germany, it's available from a fellow forum member at:

http://www.waynestowels.com

It is VERY good stuff, much better in terms of results and ease of application than what you can go down and buy at the local auto parts store. It also lasts significantly longer than carnauba-based waxes, which is good for winter time when you don't want to be out freezing your butt off rewaxing the car. If you want to stick with cheaper stuff, I have had good success with Meguiar's products, although Wayne (of waynestowels.com) doesn't care for Meg's much.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
slvrfocus03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Uhhh... couple points. One, you're never supposed to wax a new paint job. Waxing new paint seals it, which prevents the paint from fully curing.
That's what i've always been told as well. Actually a car really doesn't need to be waxed for about a year after owning it. Maybe after 6 months if it has to go through harsh weather such as what you were mentioning. What everyone doesn't understand, the car comes from the delear with the nice shiny fresh clearcoat on it. Granted it may not have any wax on it, as someone mentioned, but clearcoat itself has it's own protection in it and will last for atleast a year and on some cars even 2yrs. Mine is 2yrs old this month, and have only waxed it once. I did it right around the year mark, and it really didn't even need it then. I will probably wax it here again soon just as a precaution. As long as it beads up when it rains, then your doing good. That means you have a nice protection on your paint when it beads. I even on average detail my car every other week, and sometimes if possible once a week, which would normally be considered a beating on a paint job, but it seems to be holding up well. I do use a very good soap, it's Zip Wax Car Wash Soap made by Turtle Wax.
I do side detail jobs from time to time for extra money, and I have always received compliments on how much more shiny their vehicle is after I detail it. There is something about that soap, but it's very good and that's what I have used since i've been driving. Everyone has different opinions, and this is my two cents and just my know how from detailing cars for the past 12 years.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 11-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
5speedZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7144
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3, 1986 Mini

FF Reputation: 1 5speedZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
slvrfocus03- I dont know where you got your info but way off on waxing after a year.

As an experianced autobody painter I can tell you this. Your clearcoat does not have a mircal protection added to it. In fact all it does is make it shine and that is what your protectiong, the clearcoat. When i paint a vechicle we always recomend putting 2 coats of wax about a week after being painted. That is plenty of time for the paint to cure fully. Letting a paint job go for sooo long with out protecting will cause you alot of damage. Then washing it once a week with out that protections is even worse.

Car wash spray on wax will not help you at all, spray on quick wax will provide protection for a week mabey2 if your surface is already have a feww good coats on it. Take the time to wash, claybar your vehicle, then put on at least 2 coats of a good wax. I use the Glanz sold by www.waynestowels.com. It is probly the best stuff I have ever used. Please take the time to take car of your paint now befor it becomes a problem later on. Spending a little now is better than spending $1000 to $2500 for a new paint job later on.

If you have anymore questions about detailing or careing for paint ask it. And trust expersts like wayne and mad wax. they've been in the busness of making paint look good and last.
"It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Bookmarks & Social Networks