2003 ZX3 coolant leak - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
alienid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101920
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 alienid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 ZX3 coolant leak

Wondering if anyone can help from my description. I have a coolant leak. The car leaks when it sits shut off overnight. It isn't the water pump because it is new and I don't have a chocolate milk looking engine oil. The car does not overheat nor do I see white smoke. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Where's the coolant puddle, if any? If it's under the driver's side, it's likely coming from the thermostat housing. If it's more centered, the coolant tube (over the rad) has one end that sometimes leaks (although it tends to fail catastrophically.)
How much coolant loss are we talking about (as measured at the reservoir tank)?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
alienid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101920
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 alienid Good Standing Member
The coolant leak is more centered. If I fill up the reservoir most of it will be drained the next day as the puddles get smaller and smaller as there is less coolant to leak out.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Deffenently check the thermostat housing! I just replaced mine and had the same exact symptoms (if you can see that it is running down the transmission).

One way I pinpointed it was, let it run for a minuet, then shut it off and saw a little bubbling coming from the TH. I think I paid ... about $40-50 for a new one with a new thermostat + another $4.00 for a new O-ring connecting it to the head (from auto-zone).

Also remember not to put it on to tight! When my uncle changed his he put it on to tight and when the engine warmed up it cracked...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
FocusGhia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
Clean all traces of coolant loss off your engine. Fill it before going to bed then check the engine over next morning. Look for puddles then follow the traces of lost coolant to the highest point of the engine where it starts from..... you should find your problem.

One area that can be missed is the bottom of the coolant expansion/filler tank....over time this gets brittle and with the stress of vehicle movement small cracks start appearing.

Bear in mind you'll not always find a puddle of coolant on the floor will correspond to a leak directly above the puddle......coolant drops from engine parts onto other parts as it gradually makes its way to the ground.

Bookmarks & Social Networks