Flex Fuel...Why? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #31
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
byproduct of drilling for natural gas, so it can be gotten while doing other things
I knew that natural gas was a source of hydrogen, but that is from breaking it down. I was unaware that it was a byproduct of the drilling process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimav View Post
I knew that natural gas was a source of hydrogen, but that is from breaking it down. I was unaware that it was a byproduct of the drilling process.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/26/h...ies-after-all/
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
As I said, its extracted from the natural gas. The process described is just an efficient one. So in reality, the fuel in this case is still natural gas.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'll chime in. I used to own a 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 FFV. I ran E85 in it simply because it ran better and it saved me money. Those engines are known for pinging/detonation at moderate loads (i.e. going up a steep hill at highway speeds). The E85 would eliminate the pinging and the engine as a whole ran a lot smoother/happier. Butt dyno could not determine if more/less power was made. At the time (2009-2010) I was able to buy E85 for around $2.09/gal, and the 20% or so decrease in fuel cost was worth the 15% or so loss in fuel economy. I averaged about 15-16 mpg highway with E85, and about 18-19 with regular gas.

I no longer have the truck, but I still pay attention to E85 prices for funzies, and I've never seen it this cheap since. Usually it's priced about 10% less than regular gas, and sometimes it is just as much or more. So it really doesn't make sense to buy E85 (on an individual level) unless the percent gain in $/gal cost is less than the percent loss in fuel economy.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
Deehugh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99502
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Deehugh Good Standing Member
I have a friend that owns an Evo 8 modified to run E85 and it certainly does push out a ton of power at 26-27 lbs of boost. Unfortunately running E85 in a flex fuel vehicle offers no performance advantage and as everyone else has said it's slightly cheaper but more corrosive and worse gas mileage
Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #36
CalgaryDrummer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84317
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Black

FF Reputation: 1 CalgaryDrummer Good Standing Member
Hemp based fuel! Just sayin :)

Too bad you can't even grow hemp in the US, which is comletely ridiculous as it as similar to Marijuana as barley is to beer.

It's a crying shame Henry Aslinger and a few choice others ruined this for you Americans 80 some years ago. We can grow it in Canada, because we realize you would need to smoke about 100 pounds of it in an hour to get stoned. I think your lungs would simply collapse from the effort first.

Just my .02c

Also, my 2012 doesn't say Flexfuel. When was this changed?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
The point of E85 is not really to create a dependence on corn, but rather something that can be generated from a short biological process. Corn is a pretty poor ethanol source compared to sugarcane (Brazil), but cheaper bio-engineered ethanol might not be that far away.

Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. It can't be efficiently generated through electrolysis, and it's only used as energy storage anyway. High quality lithium or other batteries can do similar things efficiently. Incremental improvements in batteries are making EV's more viable, and it won't be long before quick charging stations start popping up killing the range argument.

It all boils down to how we get our energy. We pump it from the ground, mine it, or use the sun in some way through nature.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The point of E85 is not really to create a dependence on corn, but rather something that can be generated from a short biological process. Corn is a pretty poor ethanol source compared to sugarcane (Brazil), but cheaper bio-engineered ethanol might not be that far away.

Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. It can't be efficiently generated through electrolysis, and it's only used as energy storage anyway. High quality lithium or other batteries can do similar things efficiently. Incremental improvements in batteries are making EV's more viable, and it won't be long before quick charging stations start popping up killing the range argument.

It all boils down to how we get our energy. We pump it from the ground, mine it, or use the sun in some way through nature.
lithium is rare if all cars used batteries the price would go through the roof
Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
My question on this E85 stuff is this... since it comes from corn primarily and most of the country right now is in the worst drought since the late 80's.. How is this push to use ethanol blended fuel going to factor in to already rising corn prices due to the drought? Since the ethanol mandate is being pushed so hard, and with the drought adding to the mix... all this is doing is driving up food prices even faster... When the push for "renewable energy" begins to affect the cost of my groceries.. thats when i start to cry foul.. especially when the government begins mandating it at the request of the Corn lobbyist. Is renewable energy SO important that it trumps the primary purpose of corn which is to be used as a food source?

describing ethanol as "renewable"... All it takes is a couple of years of drought to make ethanol as finite as oil is... problem is not only will we have a "fuel" shortage, but also a food shortage as a result... I can live without fuel... food on the other hand... well not so easily...
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
My question on this E85 stuff is this... since it comes from corn primarily and most of the country right now is in the worst drought since the late 80's.. How is this push to use ethanol blended fuel going to factor in to already rising corn prices due to the drought? Since the ethanol mandate is being pushed so hard, and with the drought adding to the mix... all this is doing is driving up food prices even faster... When the push for "renewable energy" begins to affect the cost of my groceries.. thats when i start to cry foul.. especially when the government begins mandating it at the request of the Corn lobbyist. Is renewable energy SO important that it trumps the primary purpose of corn which is to be used as a food source?

describing ethanol as "renewable"... All it takes is a couple of years of drought to make ethanol as finite as oil is... problem is not only will we have a "fuel" shortage, but also a food shortage as a result... I can live without fuel... food on the other hand... well not so easily...

Cessna can correct me if I am wrong but I think food corn and ethanol corn are not the same, not edible by humans, it is more animal feed corn that they are using, so meat prices go up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks