Rebuilding engine for 300HP, Help! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
SWEGER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88926
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SWEGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What's the latest and greatest on this venture?

"If guns cause violence, then all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why does this kit car require a specific engine? I'm guessing the mounting brackets are designed to accomodate a focus motor. If this is the case, a local fab shop could weld up some alternatives to accomodate whatever motor will physically fit.

It's your build, but seems to me you could get a lot more motor for less $ if you went with a different mill and a little welding work.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,944, Level 100
Points: 50,944, Level: 100 Points: 50,944, Level: 100 Points: 50,944, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
The engine pictured is the US SVT / UK ST170 which is the same engine just diff names , it is not a Duratec

The mounting points for the Duratec is very very close to what the Zetec takes would take very minor changes at the mounting points and the trans for the Zetec and Duratec outsides is the same

With the Zetec you will have to get the ignition switch and key for the ECU , mount the key and switch some where in the car or the PATS will set and the engine wont run , with a duratec I can turn off the PATS and you can use any switch

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 9,041, Level 63
Points: 9,041, Level: 63 Points: 9,041, Level: 63 Points: 9,041, Level: 63
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
nice kit car hey is that a ofna on the shelf
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101650
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow SVTFocus. Infiniti FX35

FF Reputation: 1 Michael_Price1990 Good Standing Member
i'm not sure whats on the shelf. lol not my pictures i just used them as examples. some good news! i got a 2003 SVT ford focus with 82,000 miles on it. got it for $3,800!!! quite the steal! runs great! paint is flaking on the hood. needs new tires, and the check engine light was on so the old man sold it for a fair price. i took it to ford before hand. check engine light is only on due to a bad oxygen sensor. which i already bought and replaced after the purchase for $47! and i could care less about the paint or cars general body condition.

The kit is made for a direct bolt up with all focus SVT and ZX3 components. i would like duratec a little better. but i need something i can drive for a year back and forth to work. and i couldn't turn that price down when i saw it pop up in town. talk about luck. i almost drove 130 miles away for a 7,000$ SVT when this came up for sale! so i wont drive it much since i have a truck i use on a regular basis. but its fun to drive as it is! so untill i buy the kit next year, its time for me to rebuild and mess with the engine!

first things first. the simple stuff that wont require me to remove the engine from the car. i'm trying to decide on spark plugs, and ignition coils? are they worth replacing on the SVT? i'm not sure how good they are from factory but in the after market world i'm use to, everything can preform better... and i'm wanting better ideas on fuel injectors/fuel pumps.

and after that of course. internals. the long part. with a full time job it could take me longer then i like to tear it open and have time to replace, and resemble. but i do plan to have the engine rebuilt and ready to go by the time i get the kit so i can just swap it out. what internals would you guys recommend replacing? if any. i'm looking at going around 7PSI or more if it can handle that. i had 11 on my last car and 22 on my subaru. im not sure what this can handle. but to be honest, on a car that weighs 1,200 pounds. it wont need alot.

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
SWEGER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88926
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SWEGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm pretty sure you will be good with stock internals at 7psi...again, Tom will definitely clear this up. Glad your build is under way!

"If guns cause violence, then all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent
Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,944, Level 100
Points: 50,944, Level: 100 Points: 50,944, Level: 100 Points: 50,944, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 31%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
The SVT is good to 280-300HP to the wheels so 7-11 psi is nothing for the SVT engine

You are going to have to take the keys and halo and put them under the dash for the PATS this is the only way that engine will start in your new car

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

So the stock internals of the SVT can handle 300HP ? Great! that will save me thousands.. you can easily pass up the $2,000 range on internals alone i have found out over the past few days then pay for a tune as well.. but if i don't even have to upgrade anything internally then Fantastic! what can the SVT internals safely handle stock? i'm assuming i still need to replace the fuel injectors and fuel pump? what would you recommend? and i'm thinking NGK iridium spark plugs with a MSD ignition and ignition wires. and since i dont have to spend money on the internals i now have a small sum of cash to spend on other parts of the engine itself.

Lets say i have $1,000 to spend on the engine. non internal. what would be worth the $. i know they make many aftermarket throttle body's, better engine mounts, different types of pulleys that supposedly help boost HP. whats fact and myth? what would you guys spend 1,000$ on? keep in mind i'm turbo/supercharging later so it has to be force induction friendly mods.

i know some things wont make much of a difference right now like the MSD ignition. but it will when i have a tune and a turbo/supercharger (what ever i decide on, leaning towards a supercharger at the moment) and the closer i can get to 300HP the better. thats my goal!

and speaking of a tune, i'm moving over the whole wire harness, ECU, etc. the car wont know its changed. it will just be lighter when i'm done with the project. can you help me out with a tune tom? or is the lighter vehicle going to be a problem with a pre-made tune?

and whats a halo? i know what pats is but why will moving it over to the new kit be an issue? i know i was told somethings needed to be modified for it to start but i wasn't sure why. the kit comes with all the instructions.. but i don't have the kit yet.

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,944, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 31%
Things that will help in your car
TB
Tune
Plugs Motorcrafts SP463

Waste to get
under drive pulleys
MSD coil
Irid plugs

Yes I can help with the tuning both NA and FI , I have tuned dozens of Caterhams with Zetec , SVT and Duratec engines which are light as well

I can build you a complete Turbo ready 450HP engine for 3550.00 if the time comes

I wouldnt push the stock SVT engine much past 280 to 300 HP at the wheels

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #20
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

man i cant imagine what i would do with a 450HP car that only weighs 1,200 pounds. get some really sticky tires and and a big smile most likely but i think ill be fine with 300HP to the wheels. how ever if i find i want to go even faster, ill get back with you on that in a few years. right now this is slower then my last two rides. but it is lacking a FI system. and i know it will be a tremendous difference when i move it to the light kit. i was told the SVT engine stock on that kit will do 0-60 faster the a Porsche 911. ill see how i feel after running a 1/4 mile a year or two for now

whats TB? and a tune i want. ill be driving it as is for at least a year or two before i get to the kit transfer. so i might get with you on that pretty soon. and ok ill have to grab motor craft SP when i get off work in a few weeks. i figured the pullys were a waste but i figured id ask. what about engine mounts, and torque dampeners? And msd sp wires? or factorys fine? and a better set of headers shouldent hurt? (if i go supercharger at least. waste of cash if i go turbo) fuel injectors? in colorado there are no emission laws. so i'm tossing the cat next time i get home as well.

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.