Rebuilding engine for 300HP, Help! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101650
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow SVTFocus. Infiniti FX35

FF Reputation: 1 Michael_Price1990 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rebuilding engine for 300HP, Help!

So here's the deal. i have searched the forums and nothing seems to help. and before i ask for help. i should probably explain the fact that this is not for a Focus. im here since you guys are the Focus Fanatics. i figure your the pros!

Yes, i am about to buy a used Ford SVT focus. for the engine, tranny, suspension, wheels, drive shaft, etc. Pretty much im using this as a doner car.
I am building a MEV Sonic 7. Click the link below if you dont know what it is. and it requires a focus as a power plant. and what ever used car i buy, i will be rebuilding the engine immediately. im not buying a used car with 60,000+ miles and crossing my fingers with it for racing. its a kit car for racing. and i plan to take it to the track Alot! as well as occasionally drive it around town. pretty much a pleasure car. like a motor cycle. it will only go out in good conditions.
http://exomotive.com/sonic-7/

And just so you know, so no one comes in like they generally do saying i have no idea what I'm doing and this is not easy. I have a lot of experience with cars, and racing. and rebuilding engines. this is not a new hobby for me I've turbo'd Many cars. one being my own which i use to race on weekends. and i know. this can get ungodly expensive fast. definitely when machine work or complicated tuning is needed. i am however new, and unfamiliar with ford. i've been a Chevy, Toyota and Subaru guy in the past.

Now The simple issues i have. Well more of questions i need help with. are as follows. the kit i'm getting weighs around 1,200 Pounds fully built. so a 500HP car would be a bit insane for that weight... i don't need to drop gears and do a burn out if I'm already cruising at 50 MPH. i do however Want a Fast track car that's good fun for circuit style, track time trials, and your occasional drag racing is fun as well.

i know the SVT is around 170 HP which is great but i'm looking to get around 300HP maybe a little more. what i'm wondering is how easy is it to get that out of just the motor? if i can replace the valves and stems, and change out the pistons etc with out spending an arm and a leg. what can i replace to hopefully get in the 300HP Range? if buy the time i buy all the parts and fuel systems and if any machine work is needed... well that will blow out the budget lol ive been looking at super chargers. the pro charger mainly for a little over 4,000$

so any way. long post, sorry. point is. you guys know this engine better then i. What is the cheaper way to get 300 or a little more out of this engine? can engine work bring it up to 300HP for a fair price? or would it be cheaper to go turbo or supercharger and just a little bit of engine work. (no Nos) eaiter way i'm replacing the internals. whether or not i'm replacing with new original components or better aftermarket components is what i'm trying to decide on. most the used cars i've found have 100,000 miles. im going to buy the car in the next few months and while i have it i want to rebuild the engine for
1. Straight NA set up to hit 300+HP (if affordable)
or
2. I could rebuild it with better pistons etc for a turbo/or supercharger setup.

mainly i'm wanting to know, so i can rebuild the engine when i buy the focus. and when i buy the sonic 7. i can just toss it in the car and go. but i'm not putting the supercharger or turbo on the focus. if i go that rout it will not be installed till i get the new car. i'm just wanting to rebuild the engine in advance to handle what ever rout i decide to go. Price estimates wanted! i can do all the work myself i have a nice shop. no machine work myself though

P.S. if you know of any 2000-2007 Ford Focus's for sale that are in bad condition for cheap (dented doors, bad paint jobs,) but good engines and drivetrain. That's exactly what i'm looking for! let me know! i would feel a little guilty buying a nice used focus and gutting it out to toss in a junk yard.
(no i can not buy all the parts new or used. it would cost more then buying a whole used car and i need all SVT components including the ECU)

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
SWEGER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88926
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SWEGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
From what I've heard, 300hp is nearly unreachable n/a out of this engine. Turbo seems to be the preferred method to get power on here, and is my plan if I keep the car long enough. Wait for Turbo Tom to chime in...he has a plethora of knowledge on these engines.

Good luck with the build.

"If guns cause violence, then all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

That's what i was thinking as well. internals seem to be pretty costly for the SVT Zetec engine. i like turbo setups. The only issue i will face is the fact that the Sonic 7 has the engine in the back, so i would eaither have to run the piping to the front for an inter cooler.. or try to make a bigger scoop on the back for an air inlet for the inter cooler. i was thinking of doing a scoop on top simalur to a Subaru imprezas hood scoop. just not sure if there is alot of airflow back there.

there is not alot of space. but i'm use to compact cars so i'm not worried about that. ill make it fit. a supercharger would be a smaller system. but the boost is set by a pully and superchargers cost alot more then you average turbo system. with my last turbo build i had a AEM boost gauge that also allowed me to turn the boost up and down right from the gauge with a built in boost controller under the hood. that was nice, boost it up to 12 pounds at the track. drop it to 6 pounds for the road. it will all be custom do to the fact that a regular focus kit wont fit in my setup. but i've built custom turbo setups as well so im fine with that option if it looks like the best way to go.

just a few pics so you guys get an idea of what i'm working with,
its not a very big car. if you know what the ariel atom is, this is basically the same thing. they run on the same grounds however. its super small. these were the only good pictures i could find under the body. comes in many styles, colors. mine will be all white. later ill get red camo painted on some parts of it! but thats later.

Whole underframe

Front of car under hood, room for an intercooler if i have to. but not sure how bad that would effect lag. i'm assuming pretty bad...

Without exhaust

With exhaust

Not alot of room once the tops are on

P.S. Also, i live in Colorado. no emission or vehicle inspections where i live! so i'm fine with straight pipes and no cat. that will save room as well. it will just be noisy as shit. does the zetec sound good with straight pipes? some cars sound like shit that way.. my imprezza sounded great with straight pipes though! whats the focus like?

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
May I ask why your not using the 2.3 or 2.5 Duratec in this project , NA with either engine you could get to 230-250 NA fairly easy and with the 2.5 a good bit of TQ

The SVT engine all stock will do 300 HP , it cost no more to build the SVT then it does the Zetec they basicly take the same parts, all you need is rings , bearings , eagle rods , Forged pistons 9.0 - 9.2 compression , ARP head and main studs , gaskets and seals , new oil pump wouldnt hurt

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

Does the Duratec engine bolt up to the same transmission and focus components? same engine mounts etc? the issue i have is this kit is made for a Ford focus doner. Everything on the kit car is made specifically for a ford focus 2000 to 2007 model. and i was under the impression the SVT motor was made a bit better, bigger cylinders etc. if that's not the case. then yes i would much rather use a regular Zetec. i can pick up an old dented up 2000 4 door focus for $1000! this is why i came to this site. so the Zetec and SVT Zetec are the same engine but with different internals i take it? and as i said before. no matter what i get i'm replacing the internals.

so lets say i put bearings , eagle rods , Forged pistons etc in a regular zetec engine. it would have the same outcome as doing all that to a SVT zetec? no difference?

will the heads or any part of the engine need to be re sized by a machinist for the new parts to fit, or is it a simple swap out. and how much would that run?

and if that puts me at 250-270 HP then i could toss on a small turbo or super charger with around just 7 pounds of boost and id hit my 300HP goal no issue at all. might not even need an inter cooler on a supercharger if i keep the boost down around 5?

and after all that.. i would need a tune i would assume as well.

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
The SVT was 2002 to 2004 , the Focus Zetec was 2000 to 2004 , the 2.3 and 2.0 Focus Duretec was 2003 -

So if they offer parts for the 2007 it would have to be a Durated engine ????

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

ohhhhh ok. so they dont have the same engine from 2000-2007. which one would you say has the most aftermarket support? or do they all use the same parts?

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 07-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

this is what i mainly need off the donor. i do also want the SVT 6 speed transmission. but i belive that will bolt up to both Zetec engines. so i can get that separate. what i have to have from the donor is as follows

i listed blue text
this is copied from the sonic builders.
2.0 liter DOHC Zetec engine and 5 speed manual transmission
Drive shafts and front hubs
Radiator and electric fan - Will use better aftermarket compact fan.
Engine mounts
Fuel pump and gauge sender - will most likely be needing a bigger fuel pump
License plate lights - nope. ill get my own
Header tank
Brake fluid reservoir
Flexi brake hoses
OBD2 diagnostic port
Steering column, wheel, switch gear and ignition switch and lock
ECU complete with engine bay wiring looms and sensors
Rear calipers and discs (subject to Focus model)
Hand brake and cables
Shifter and cables
Exhaust manifold - maybe (most likely not)
Seatbelts
Wheels and tires
Miscellaneous nuts, bolts, and clips

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

That would be an issue to use the 6speed with the Duratec engine

My opinion is the Duratec is worth loosing the 6 speed for , as I see the pictures the Duratec would also have the Exh at the back of the enging to the rear of the car vs facing forward like the pictured Zetec

I wish you were not so far away as I would love to build a turbo kit for your car and do the tuning , A Duratec ECU would I would be able to turn off the PATS in the ECU which would save you a ton of headache when you went to do the wiring and start the car

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Michael_Price1990
Focus Enthusiast

so i called the MEV dealer today. he said he is sorry for the confusion but the site was incorrect. only zetec engines. and only from 2000-2004. and it can only be a ZX3 or ZX5. or SVT of course. makes more sense now at least. i asked about the duratec on this kit and he didn't really give me a solid answer. made it sound like its best just to stick with a zetec for this build. the exhaust on the back would be way better for a turbo build as well :( so that's disappointing.

and yes. you are far away lol wish i was closer as well. i'm from texas originally and the aftermarket performance industry down there is huge. finding places to do performance around here is quite difficult. also a reason i'm getting my help online now. no one round here can really answer my questions. ill have to go to denver for a tune when it comes down to it more then likely. and they charge a fortune since they no there is no one els around here we can go to.

but. i have made weird things work before. is the drivetrain and transmission the same on the newer focus with the duratec engine? if so i might have to find a new way to set up the engine mounts but ive got your basic shop tools and a good welder so i think getting it set up would be easy. i like there exhaust at the rear waaaayyy better. what it comes down to though, is that the frame in this kit is made for the 2000-2004 focus. i'm not sure if there are any differences in the new or old.

i think this is a ST170 Duratec. if so, will this bolt up to a regular focus assembly and 5spd tranny? what are the pros with this engine over the others. and if i do put this with a regular 2000 focus setup. i could just toss in a duratec ecu and that would work with the steering column blinker controles etc? (putting in my own after market gauges no concerns there)

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]"A Duratec ECU would I would be able to turn off the PATS in the ECU which would save you a ton of headache when you went to do the wiring and start the car"[/COLOR

that's another plus, but what starting problems would i have with the other regular ecu?

if the duratec wire harness works with the steering column and the duratec engine works with the regular 5 speed and focus components. that's definitely the rout i want to go.

2003 SVT Focus
205+ HP
JRSC

Bookmarks & Social Networks