Save the Manuals (Malibooya's Project Thread) - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #31
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,043, Level 55
Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Is driving a manual a distraction or would it force the kid to pay more attention to his driving? He won't be texting and yakking on his cell and eating cheeseburgers.
Oh, I totally agree with you. Everyone is too busy texting while driving and parents today seem too afraid to set boundries. I think a lot figure "the kid is going to text, regardless of what I say" so in their mind, a manual would be a distraction. Some people just aren't too bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
truth1110
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96898
What I Drive: 2000 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 truth1110 Good Standing Member
If you are truly a car person a stick is the only option. I mean what car would you rather have on a track? People with autos are usually the type to just use a car as a way to get from point a to point b. Most with sticks have serious pride in their car and go above and beyond normal maintenance. Not trying to get anyone upset just basing this off my friends and people I meet at shows ect.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #33
indy_11
Panamasian

Fan#: 81404
What I Drive: 2011 Blue Flame SES

FF Reputation: 7 indy_11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Is driving a manual a distraction or would it force the kid to pay more attention to his driving? He won't be texting and yakking on his cell and eating cheeseburgers.
meh. not unless you're in fifth. i still eat while i drive and roll through the gears. as for texting, it's either at a stop light or a one word text in fifth (or any place safe from other people). I don't understand why people say it keeps the texting away, if you're not shifting constantly like you were in a race it really doesn't matter. but why text when you have something enjoyable to drive?
2011 Blue Flame Focus SES #011
December 2011 ROTM Winner! :)
I always take a poo before driving to reduce weight and increase performance
you tell me your auto is fun to drive, I laugh in your face.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,893, Level 39
Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You really don't shift that often while driving unless you're in town and going from stop light to stop light.

I think all teens should be taught to drive a manual though. It forces you to think a lot more about your driving technique than an automatic does. You have more control over the vehicle and you are much more aware of your surroundings as a result.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
indy_11
Panamasian

Fan#: 81404
What I Drive: 2011 Blue Flame SES

FF Reputation: 7 indy_11 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post

I think all teens should be taught to drive a manual though. It forces you to think a lot more about your driving technique than an automatic does. You have more control over the vehicle and you are much more aware of your surroundings as a result.
if i had a video of my friend comparing her driving in the parking lot and on the road it would prove this very well. in the parking lot she was fine. not the greatest but she got it down. but when we got into traffic it freaked her out. like she was never taught at all.

btw, if we wanted to do an interview, how would that work? would we have to sign up or something?
2011 Blue Flame Focus SES #011
December 2011 ROTM Winner! :)
I always take a poo before driving to reduce weight and increase performance
you tell me your auto is fun to drive, I laugh in your face.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
Crunchy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83327
What I Drive: 2003 zx3 SVT

Points 380, Level 7
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Crunchy Good Standing Member
They still love manuals in Europe. Some Europeans say that Americans have little idea what makes a great car. But is it any wonder when many of us donít even know what makes a great road? Here in pancake-flat Illinois (state motto Ė Tolls R Us) all the roads are laid out on a grid: you drive straight for a while, turn 90 degrees, then drive straight some more. Sometimes the most exciting thing is dodging the potholes. And those are the kind of roads that influence an Americanís idea of what a luxury car is: one that insulates you from those potholes, insulates you from the road, insulates you from the driving itself. Have you ever driven a manual in a Chicago freeway traffic jam, averaging 3-4 mph for half an hour? Why bother engaging yourself in the driving experience when the roads just arenít that engaging?

That said, there is one thing you can do with a manual that you cannot with any other transmission, whether itís a regular automatic or a fancy dual-clutch paddle-shifter, and thatís heel-and-toe a perfectly matched downshift while braking hard into a corner with all four tires right at the limit of adhesion. When I can string a couple of those together in the big end of the powerband (not often!), it never fails to put a huge grin on my face and make me feel like Mario Andretti. Maybe I would be faster through those corners with a paddle-shifter, but I donít care. To me, rowing that stick around is what spirited driving is all about.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
truth1110
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96898
What I Drive: 2000 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 truth1110 Good Standing Member
Quote:
They still love manuals in Europe. Some Europeans say that Americans have little idea what makes a great car. But is it any wonder when many of us donít even know what makes a great road? Here in pancake-flat Illinois (state motto Ė Tolls R Us) all the roads are laid out on a grid: you drive straight for a while, turn 90 degrees, then drive straight some more. Sometimes the most exciting thing is dodging the potholes. And those are the kind of roads that influence an Americanís idea of what a luxury car is: one that insulates you from those potholes, insulates you from the road, insulates you from the driving itself. Have you ever driven a manual in a Chicago freeway traffic jam, averaging 3-4 mph for half an hour? Why bother engaging yourself in the driving experience when the roads just arenít that engaging?

That said, there is one thing you can do with a manual that you cannot with any other transmission, whether itís a regular automatic or a fancy dual-clutch paddle-shifter, and thatís heel-and-toe a perfectly matched downshift while braking hard into a corner with all four tires right at the limit of adhesion. When I can string a couple of those together in the big end of the powerband (not often!), it never fails to put a huge grin on my face and make me feel like Mario Andretti. Maybe I would be faster through those corners with a paddle-shifter, but I donít care. To me, rowing that stick around is what spirited driving is all about.
I cried a little bit with You all the way man
Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #38
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,364, Level 36
Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflow94 View Post
btw, if we wanted to do an interview, how would that work? would we have to sign up or something?
I'm probably going to make a Google spreadsheet within the next few weeks so I can start getting the source list together. We'll take it from there.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
Bob G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94741
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ST

Points 37, Level 1
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Bob G Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Has this become some sort of Hollywood Mistique?

I got to thinking about this and was watching 1 of the "Bourne" series movies (with Matt Damon). In a car chase seen where he's driving a BMW the movie shows a lot of closeups of Matt rowing through the gears and clutching as he races through an urban setting.

Also in the movie "Eagle Eye" the gal driving is being held hostage, driving a Porsche Cayenne with a stick and being chased by the cops. Again a lot of closeups of her rowing through the gears and clutching. Of course this time the guy holding her hostage is, shall we say "critiquing" her shifting style.

They both kind of reminded me of the movie "Bullit" with Steve McQueen. Some similar scenes of Steve doing some aggresive shifting as well.

Bob
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #40
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,364, Level 36
Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Bump! Talking to my show producers about getting the piece aired. My advisor already cleared it, so now I have to delve into the logistical mess.

Still open to meet new people for the project though, keep it coming guys! And feel free to mention it to your buddies, too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.