To those who have replaced OEM tires... - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101520
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 eriksarnstrom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Which 18in tire would you recommend for Minnesota weather? I want something that I can use year round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #42
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
I'm actually in the market for some snows, first time I've lived anywhere where I'd need them. Anyone got tips on snow tires, brands, time to buy, etc? Should I buy a set of steelies for them too?
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's, they are considered a performance winter tire so they don't feel like marshmallows at speed. I'm really happy with them and they provide a ton of grip all things considered. They are pricey though, I think I paid like $200 a tire for them plus a set of MOMO Winter 2's to mount them on. I'd really recommend getting performance rated snow tires, you live in a major city so the roads are probably pretty well taken care of. You'll be thankful you got them when it's dry out.

Steelies will be fine, but if you're looking for something in a bit larger size the MOMO's are where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
Which 18in tire would you recommend for Minnesota weather? I want something that I can use year round.
Continental DWS's seems to be the tire of choice for people looking for all-season tires. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's probably aren't bad either since people with Mercedes, Audi's, Caddy's and BMW's run em as replacement tires.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #43
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
The DW's and DWS's are some of the best tires you can buy. I had 275 width Conti DW's on my old Mustang on all four corners. The grip, was astonishing.

I plan on running a 18x8 or 18x9 on all four corners of the Focus next spring, with a 235 to 255 width tire.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #44
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

I plan on using the same size tires that came on the focus. I have the 18 inch wheel from ford on my 2012 titanium. I plan on keeping the same wheels but from what I gather the michelins on the car are not an all season tire. Living in MN that is just not gonna work. I had continentals on my fusion but it seemed to chew them up pretty fast. The manager at the dealership said that an 18 inch tire tends to wear pretty fast. Anyone else notice this or was it just the tire?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #45
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I have the DWS and it's grip is quite good with solid warning when they are giving way and would love to have a set of the DWs on the Focus but can't afford to be caught around here in a surprise snow without a solid A/S. If I know it's going to snow and already is snowing the Focus just stays home.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #46
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
I plan on using the same size tires that came on the focus. I have the 18 inch wheel from ford on my 2012 titanium. I plan on keeping the same wheels but from what I gather the michelins on the car are not an all season tire. Living in MN that is just not gonna work. I had continentals on my fusion but it seemed to chew them up pretty fast. The manager at the dealership said that an 18 inch tire tends to wear pretty fast. Anyone else notice this or was it just the tire?
The 18" wheels come with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's which are rated as a Max Performance Summer tire. They are going to wear quicker than an all-season just because they are made of a different type of rubber. Just be aware replacing the OEM Michelin's with something that's not a summer tire is going to make the handling feel really different and will defeat the point of having the handling package.

You can pick up a set of winter wheels are tires pretty cheap, especially if you buy them used from someone.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #47
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

I'm just really not interested in having wheels sitting around all year. Has anyone else replaced the OEM 18 with an all season tire? Did the handling suffer a lot? I'm okay with a little. It's not like I'm doing anything other than normal driving. I would even mind if they gave me a little less road noise and a smoother ride. :)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #48
besfocusowner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83789
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Focus SE w/Sport Pkg.

FF Reputation: 1 besfocusowner Good Standing Member
Ditched OEM Tires at 26K

I ditched my OEM tires at 26K. I drive mostly highway miles, and rotated them every 5K, but they still cupped and had vibration. I replaced them ith Michelin Primacy MXV4's and am very pleased with about 8K on them.
2013 Lime Squeeze Fiesta SE Sport Hatch
2011 Blue Flame Fiesta SE Sport Hatch (son)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #49
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Any recommendations for cheap 18" tires?

I'm trading the 2012 Titanium in when the 2013 gets delivered on Sept 6th. I can either take the hit and listen to the "tires cost $1,200 so we'll deduct" line or I can put something.anything on.

Thoughts . . .
Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #50
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
Any recommendations for cheap 18" tires?

I'm trading the 2012 Titanium in when the 2013 gets delivered on Sept 6th. I can either take the hit and listen to the "tires cost $1,200 so we'll deduct" line or I can put something.anything on.

Thoughts . . .
If you want new tires it looks like the Nankang Ultra Sport NS-II's are some of the cheaper tires. They are $87 through Discount Tire Direct, which also has free shipping I believe.

Otherwise go to your local tire store and ask if they have any used tires. I bought a set of used tires for hoonage with my Neon and they were like $20 each.

Bookmarks & Social Networks