MKIII Hatch - First Snow - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
bmccrary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 124993
What I Drive: 2014 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bmccrary Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MKIII Hatch - First Snow

I have now completed my break in on the new focus. I was was leery about giving up my Escape because it did so well on my snowboarding trips but I after this weekend I must admit that I am impressed.

It snowed a few inches while we were riding Saturday and the car did fine with traction, only one case of under steer (minor) while I was making my way up to the condo. With a pair of skis and board on the roof plus passenger and gear for the weekend inside I still managed 28mpg average, too.

First pics of the car with snow/slag/salt on her.. I think it looks pretty sweet but a bath will need soon.

After installing my racks.

Had to make some adjustments to get the board to fit. (slide the rear bar back)

1st beer break.. good snow fall.

Still on the fence about mud flaps... thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Laminar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81298
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Laminar Good Standing Member
I'm surprised you only felt understeer a couple of times. I have the same package with the Cooper RS3-As and I've been underwhelmed with their performance on snow. I have zero complaints on dry and wet pavement, even in extremely cold weather - I can brake hard on clean pavement and they still won't lock up at 0 degF.

But pulling away from stoplights on snow/ice-covered roads, normal cars that aren't even trying hard will pull away from me while I struggle to find traction.

Also, what program do you use to resize photos? The second photo shows a lot of re-size artifacts that any decent program won't have.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
bmccrary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm surprised you only felt understeer a couple of times. I have the same package with the Cooper RS3-As and I've been underwhelmed with their performance on snow. I have zero complaints on dry and wet pavement, even in extremely cold weather - I can brake hard on clean pavement and they still won't lock up at 0 degF.

But pulling away from stoplights on snow/ice-covered roads, normal cars that aren't even trying hard will pull away from me while I struggle to find traction.

Also, what program do you use to resize photos? The second photo shows a lot of re-size artifacts that any decent program won't have.
Wasn't really pushing it at all, in fact I was babying it more than anything. First drive in the snow and I was just trying to feel it out. The one case of under steer came when I was trying to carry some momentum up a hill around a tight left hand corner and avoid the down shift. The road up to the condo is very steep and twisty.

I am just uploading photos from my phone (S4) to photobucket via the photobucket app.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Love the grey on grey. I am considering color matching my wheels .
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccrary View Post
That's got more salt on it than a pretzel.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
I too just had my mk3 foci in the snow for the first time. I have the same wheels in black with those continental conti pros Ford likes to use. Had no trouble at all getting traction. That is as long as you don't try to gun it lol. And nice focus by the way! I do love the color matching!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
bmccrary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkorpion View Post
Love the grey on grey. I am considering color matching my wheels .
Thanks. My Escape was the same color, I was thinking about doing something different but this color looks good when its has a little dirt on it and looks even better clean. I had the dealer drive 3 hours west to pick the thing up because I wanted the solid color wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
That's got more salt on it than a pretzel.
Haha. Good one! Now they are calling for snow in my hometown... you would think we are about to get a blizzard with all the salt they have down. We might get an inch.. might. Snow in the south...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehatch14 View Post
I too just had my mk3 foci in the snow for the first time. I have the same wheels in black with those continental conti pros Ford likes to use. Had no trouble at all getting traction. That is as long as you don't try to gun it lol. And nice focus by the way! I do love the color matching!
I was curious how the coopers would do. Now I know. Glad to hear the Conti's do well. Thank you! It was after I got the tint that it really took off for me.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Laminar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81298
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Laminar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccrary View Post
Thanks. My Escape was the same color, I was thinking about doing something different but this color looks good when its has a little dirt on it and looks even better clean. I had the dealer drive 3 hours west to pick the thing up because I wanted the solid color wheels.
There's a reason I picked these over the "black-out" package wheels.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
DustyAlex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107712
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 DustyAlex Good Standing Member
I really like those wheels, especially in gunmetal. Dirty Mk3.... Just like mine :(
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
bmccrary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyAlex View Post
I really like those wheels, especially in gunmetal. Dirty Mk3.... Just like mine :(
Its going to stay dirty for a bit. Snow-apocalypse here in NC.It started snowing around 2pm yesterday, the schools let out around 10am before the snow started falling. At 4pm my normal 40 minute commute took 2 hours thanks to the powder on the road and the incompetent southern drivers. Stop and go the whole way and when we were moving everyone wanted to run side by side the entire time. When I got into town I pulled into the gym hoping to take advantage of my road rage... nope. Everyone left and the gym had closed.

Oh and the roads were just covered in dust. It was blowing away as your drove over it.

It was not a good day. Rant over...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->