Installing LEDs HELP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installing LEDs HELP

I know there are several DIY posts regarding installing LEDs, but I need help on something much simpler.

I bought simple LED strips off ebay, and installation instruction just say connect negative to ground and positive to whatever you want. Essentially I just want the LEDs to run when the engine is turned on (DRL if i understand correctly). Theres no control unit or relays or anything. Does anyone know how to splice the wires? Once i do this Im just going to stick them on the outside of the headlight casing along the contour.

Heres what i bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130737204218...#ht_2787wt_978

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
04 Ol' Blue SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97771
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 773, Level 14
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 04 Ol' Blue SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Find a power source in the Fuse/Relay box under the hood that only comes on when the key is turned on and wire your HOT wire into that circuit.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Wire your LED strips in to the any ignition feed from the ignition relay. Its a Green wire with a brown stripe that is hot only with the key in the Run position.. The Relay is in the Under Hood Fuse Box (aka Battery Junction Box)

Fuses under the hood that are fed by this wire..
F14 (25 AMP) (green wire to power windows)
F19 (5 AMP) (gray wire to ABS module)
F25 (10 AMP) (Brown/Green wire to power windows)
F28 (5 AMP) (Yellow/Blue to Mass AirFlow Sensor)
F38 (15 AMP) (white/Blue to shifter) and (green to coil packs, PCM and TCM)
F40 (5 AMP) (Green to power steering control module)
F41 (20 AMP) (Blue to Body Control Module)
F42 (15 AMP) (Yellow.. Rear Wipers on Hatch Only)
F46 (25 AMP) (Brown/Yellow to Power Windows)

There are all kinds of Ignition On power sources... any of which should suffice LED's for your project...

Last edited by Chaddz3; 07-27-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to put the wire color for fuse 42
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks guys! ok so ive decided i want to splice into the fog lights (so LEDs will light when fog lights do). So my plan is to remove the fuse in the fuse box under the glove compartment, and then splice into the existing fog light wiring. Is this ok? or will it overpower and blow the fuse. Never done electronics in my car before and kinda nervous. thanks for your help
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
You can splice right into the foglight wiring. Why are you removing the fuse though? Safety reasons?

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
champjfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96072
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES in Sangria Red

Points 4,379, Level 42
Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 champjfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am looking at installing LED Turn Signal Indicators on my mirrors in my second generation and didnt know where to start or connect them too. Maybe this or anybody on here can help.
SES #035:
LED plate lights, LED map lights, LED cargo lights, remote start system, Sylvania LEDriving reverse lights
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,795, Level 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseah View Post
Thanks guys! ok so ive decided i want to splice into the fog lights (so LEDs will light when fog lights do). So my plan is to remove the fuse in the fuse box under the glove compartment, and then splice into the existing fog light wiring. Is this ok? or will it overpower and blow the fuse. Never done electronics in my car before and kinda nervous. thanks for your help
If I am understanding you correctly... You want to bypass the factory fog lamp fuse and run the foglights and LED strips directly off the foglamp source circuit and use an inline fuse for both, correct?

If this is true this won't work.. The fuse box behind the glovebox is actually the Body Control Module and is where the fog light circuit starts, it is driven off a relay that is inside. The existing foglight wiring going to the fog lights starts here and goes out to the front bumper right next to the driver's side fog light, where the foglamp and parking sensor wiring harness connects to it.

If you want to wire in to the fog lamps circuit, you'll have to do it downstream of the fusebox under the dash...

THe best place to splice in would be at the main lighting connector where the fog light harness plugs in.

if you remove the driver's side foglight, and reach in through the hole, you'll feel the connector just to your left of the foglight hole mounted right against the bumper on the other side of the indentation for the fog light... (going toward the center of the bumper) its clipped on, and pulls right off... it will be a big black 16 way connector... there are 2 separate foglight wires. One for the left and one for the right. They are both solid brown wires. Each fog light also has its own ground wire that routes through this connector too.. black/yellow stripe for the drivers side and black/gray stripe for the passenger's side.

Last edited by Chaddz3; 08-03-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarify the wiring so its easier to understand.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

That helped a lot! thanks! and for the record that photo is on a 2012 focus right?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,795, Level 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Yes that is of the backside of the driver's side of the front bumper on my 2012 Focus S after I added my factory fog lights to it... To clarify further... the gray piece on the connector coming off the foglight is pointing straight down at the ground just for reference..

Also the harness going to my foglights is a custom one i made which does not have the parking sensor wiring in it. so it may look different from the factory built one.. but it should be in pretty much the same area and route about the same way..
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

Points 1,131, Level 18
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseah View Post
In case anyone is reading this and considering a similar mod, remember that wiring into the fog lamps will defeat the purpose of a DRL since the fog lamps will have to be on to work the LEDs and the headlamp low beams must be on for the fog lamps to work. If you're going to do this, you will already have daylight running lamps on with the combo of fogs and low beams.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.