Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is the best way forwards for me to get a used supercharger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
You have to find someone who is willing to sell a kit like that which IMHO is worth about 3K for $2100... not sure how he did the tune, those don't usually transfer over as i think all tuners lock to the ECU so unless he bought it with the agreement to swap ECU's which present all sorts of other problems that are related to that....
There have been 3-4 procharger kits go for $1500 or so in the past year on here.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Try to go with a Power works if you can find it or a procharger. The jackson racing blower just isn't big enough to make any kind of great power with. You could reach the same power level n/a that you can with the jackson racing. Try to find a turbo if you can it would be much better. You can easily increase the power levels if you choose too, where on the supercharger you kinda stuck with what you get.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Try to go with a Power works if you can find it or a procharger. The jackson racing blower just isn't big enough to make any kind of great power with. You could reach the same power level n/a that you can with the jackson racing. Try to find a turbo if you can it would be much better. You can easily increase the power levels if you choose too, where on the supercharger you kinda stuck with what you get.
Is there a turbo that's CARB legal?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How many Turbos do you know are CARB legal? The biggest part is the CAT and the EGR still being used. I have not seen any Turbo kits that advertise use of the EGR still... I dont know what all goes into being CARB legal, does the aftermarket part have to say CARB (or be registered as CARB legal) or can it just not impact location and function of emission controlled devices like O2's EGR, MAF..

I agree the Jackson is not big enough however the time to make it NA and the same power level would be extensive engine rebuild. I thought the Jackson racing put the focus around the 170-to 190 HP range.

The Progcharger kits were in the $4.5K range new i believe so I am surprised to see them go for $1.5k.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

I've just had my engine built, my mechanic has a thing for Zetec Zx3s and SVTs --he told me that I'm all but capped out with what he can do internally without physically modifying the block.

He also said I would probably prefer having the VCT by swapping a built SVT Zetec --but I can't find any real numbers for what all the crap I would need to swap costs. My concern with a swap is what happens when I move out of Texas if something goes wonkey --a custom Tuner is hard to find a shop for...
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Not sure if I would trust that mechanic as most people with the SVT end up deleting the VCT when they go FI....

you say you just had your engine built... if you don't know what was done then its not all capped out... how much was the rebuild? Rods and pistons alone cost me $900 not to count ALL the labor required to replace them....
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Not sure if I would trust that mechanic as most people with the SVT end up deleting the VCT when they go FI....

you say you just had your engine built... if you don't know what was done then its not all capped out... how much was the rebuild? Rods and pistons alone cost me $900 not to count ALL the labor required to replace them....
I'd trust the man --he's an old family friend -and I'm not even considering going FI on the SVT engine.

I don't know what was done because I don't know jack about fuel injection cars --this is only my second car without a carburetor. I'm a N00btard about Focuses.

BTW --I didn't spend a dime. My Focus was a gift from both my mother and my mechanic. I just lost the automobile love of my life --I had a customized 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon that I rebuilt with the help of some old family friends. I trashed my transfer case beyond repair when I was out camping, and since the Texas star transfer case is impossible to find --my family and friends got together and gave me a car that I could get through law school. It's a nice bonus that the focus gets more than the 8MPGs my Eagle got.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Glad to hear you have a good mechanic.

I would find out what was done as a first step that will say what can or can not be done to help improve what may or may not have already been done.

A built SVT would be a higher HP stock motor. But if the motor just got all rebuilt then I dont see a very good reason to tare it out. the time and $ to go from ZX3 to a SVT motor may cost more $$ and take more time.

Honestly, working on cars is nothing but time and money... it sounds like your situation does not allow you either right now. I would get a tune after doing some bolt on's. Do a full SVT 3" exhaust w/ header that's CARB still right? intake, possibly pull the head, and deck the head and put in a stage 1 set of CAMS and call it good.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Forgot about the emissions

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks