Another Newb - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119097
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Clump Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another Newb

I bought a '13 SE hatchback a couple of days ago. 5 speed, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal leather, 201A, Black Pack with 17" wheels, reverse sensing, winter package and power moonroof.

I was really tempted by the ST and loved the power. Unfortunately, the lower MPG, premium fuel requirement and summer only tires made an ST way less practical as a daily driver.

Here's how I got here -
I was driving a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I have a 65 mile round trip daily commute and at 18 MPG was going to the gas station twice a week. About a year ago I traded the Jeep on a Chevy Cruze Eco manual. The Cruze more than doubled my gas mileage. I was getting very consistent 38+ in wonderful DC traffic. As you all know the Cruze is a very generic small sedan. The 1.4 Turbo is really pretty amazing and works great around town. It's really lacking on the highway - passing power is weak at best and downshifting for hills is common.

Enter the Focus. With all of the incentives and great financing it was a painless transition. This car is definitely NOT generic. The 2.0 GDI is no rocketship, but it's got plenty of power to get out of its own way. So far so good. I hope I'm not sacrificing a lot of MPG, time will tell.

It looks like a great group here. I've already learned a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You'll be a bit higher on fuel consumption than the cruze but you can pass and drive a little quicker up hills and such. I have both at my household and the focus is just better. The focus has a bit more lag from a stop than the cruze though.

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to MK3 Focus.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clump View Post
I bought a '13 SE hatchback a couple of days ago. 5 speed, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal leather, 201A, Black Pack with 17" wheels, reverse sensing, winter package and power moonroof.

I was really tempted by the ST and loved the power. Unfortunately, the lower MPG, premium fuel requirement and summer only tires made an ST way less practical as a daily driver.

Here's how I got here -
I was driving a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I have a 65 mile round trip daily commute and at 18 MPG was going to the gas station twice a week. About a year ago I traded the Jeep on a Chevy Cruze Eco manual. The Cruze more than doubled my gas mileage. I was getting very consistent 38+ in wonderful DC traffic. As you all know the Cruze is a very generic small sedan. The 1.4 Turbo is really pretty amazing and works great around town. It's really lacking on the highway - passing power is weak at best and downshifting for hills is common.

Enter the Focus. With all of the incentives and great financing it was a painless transition. This car is definitely NOT generic. The 2.0 GDI is no rocketship, but it's got plenty of power to get out of its own way. So far so good. I hope I'm not sacrificing a lot of MPG, time will tell.

It looks like a great group here. I've already learned a lot!
The ST doesn't require premium fuel on the stock tune from the factory, it would run all day long on 87 octane fuel while detuning to around 243 hp and still hitting 270 ft-lb of torque vs 252 hp and 270 ft-lb of torque.

Having a set of winter wheels and a set of summer wheels is going to give better traction in winter conditions than all season tires (no seasons as they are often referred to as), although it does mean having to store a spare set of wheels and tires.

The hit in mileage is likely to be there, but on the highway at least it should come close to matching its 32 mpg rating and going from 38 to 32 isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. Of course if you did more city driving than your mileage may vary as they say.

When you use V6 power levels you'll have V6 fuel bills, by comparison to the Cruze with it's undersized engine and turbo that was virtually always in boost the larger 2.0 L engine in the ST is able to run the car down the road just fine without it, although with the lowered compression ratio vs the base 2.0 L GDI fuel economy does suffer a little bit.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119097
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Clump Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The ST doesn't require premium fuel on the stock tune from the factory, it would run all day long on 87 octane fuel while detuning to around 243 hp and still hitting 270 ft-lb of torque vs 252 hp and 270 ft-lb of torque.

Having a set of winter wheels and a set of summer wheels is going to give better traction in winter conditions than all season tires (no seasons as they are often referred to as), although it does mean having to store a spare set of wheels and tires.

The hit in mileage is likely to be there, but on the highway at least it should come close to matching its 32 mpg rating and going from 38 to 32 isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. Of course if you did more city driving than your mileage may vary as they say.

When you use V6 power levels you'll have V6 fuel bills, by comparison to the Cruze with it's undersized engine and turbo that was virtually always in boost the larger 2.0 L engine in the ST is able to run the car down the road just fine without it, although with the lowered compression ratio vs the base 2.0 L GDI fuel economy does suffer a little bit.
All valid points. I just can't see buying that performance level and then compromising it by not using premium fuel. The Cruze liked higher octane and you could feel it pulling timing on regular. Not a great driving experience.

I thought hard about having a separate set of winter wheels/tires and didn't want to deal with the expense or storage. Maybe next time.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
congratulations on your new purchase.. Good choice with the 5 speed manual transmission. The ST was my first choice but I couldn't afford the extra 4.5k price tag.. 4 payments into my purchase I often wonder if I could've really swing the extra $65 a month payments for the extra goodies the ST offers.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clump View Post
I was getting very consistent 38+ in wonderful DC traffic.
I never got good gas milage traveling on 270. The speed limit says "55" but everyone knows it's really "75-80" lol
Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
Nice choice of trans...I've had mine since may n love it lots...I passed on the st also...cost more money n higher insurance n I have plenty of fast in the driveway already...I figure with the snorkel delete already done n toms tune lil boom bomm will be a dandy daily driver...I just past 3000 miles so yesterday I took it out on route 66 n drove it like it was stolen..with the tank loaded with e85 damn lil ford isn't a by no means.....silly focus'n $20 worth of e85 almost filled my very empty tank n will last me couple weeks +
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims shadetree View Post
Nice choice of trans...I've had mine since may n love it lots...I passed on the st also...cost more money n higher insurance n I have plenty of fast in the driveway already...I figure with the snorkel delete already done n toms tune lil boom bomm will be a dandy daily driver...I just past 3000 miles so yesterday I took it out on route 66 n drove it like it was stolen..with the tank loaded with e85 damn lil ford isn't a by no means.....silly focus'n $20 worth of e85 almost filled my very empty tank n will last me couple weeks +
352mi with a 1/4 of tank! Are you for real? That's 566km!
I only get 316km out of 38 liters, that's 8km/l
Should I paid a visit to the dealer? Brand new 800km in the odometer, 5 speeds

BTW! Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
Took me a minute to figure that one out...ha ha that would be mighty nice!!!! No my blonde a$$ didn't reset the trip when I put the $20 in...how's paradise buddy??
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!

Bookmarks & Social Networks