DCT Shift Into Neutral? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
CUBuffalo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109129
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 CUBuffalo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had my DCT slip here in DFW today when accelerating hard after being in stop and go traffic for about 20 min. Slipped in 2nd gear for about 3 seconds, shifted into third, and was fine the rest of the trip. This is only the 2nd time it has happened in 13,500 miles, so I'm not too worried about it.

(Except it was on the way home from the dealer after getting an oil change and tire rotation... let the conspiracy theorists come out!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsimons View Post
Should we be shifting to N in traffic?
If the car isn't moving and your foot is on the brake, shifting between N and D doesn't do a thing.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
If the car isn't moving and your foot is on the brake, shifting between N and D doesn't do a thing.
I will beg to differ. It used to be that way, and now if your foot is firmly on the brake, you are still correct. If your foot is less than firmly on the brake the stupid latest update with constant creep may/will be slipping the clutches thinking you want to creep forward. I can definitely replicate the whiplash engagements people write about on here, where stage one engagement is nothing but slippage since the clutch is overheated and stage two engagement occurs causing whiplash. In stop and go traffic in the AZ heat, sometimes upwards of 120 degrees, I shift between D and N and slippage is virtually non-existant. I hate the constant creep feature of the latest DCT firmware update. Ford, trying to appease the uniformed, and make the DCT replicate a slushbox, unsuccessfully??
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone!

If your Focus is exhibiting behavior that concerns you, make an appointment to have your dealership check it out. They'll be in the best position to determine if it is functioning normally. As always, send me a PM if you need me to jump in and assist; be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I hate the constant creep feature of the latest DCT firmware update. Ford, trying to appease the uniformed, and make the DCT replicate a slushbox, unsuccessfully??
What is the constant creep feature? I have a 2013 so I'm assuming my car already came with this flashed. How did the DCT act before this was implemented?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony2001 View Post
What is the constant creep feature? I have a 2013 so I'm assuming my car already came with this flashed. How did the DCT act before this was implemented?
Yes, 2013s already had it from the factory.

If you were on slight incline and you released the brake, the car would start rolling back - like any other manual car. Also, the car wouldn't roll forward until you pressed the accelerator. I actually preferred this programming - I could pretend I had a manual.

Now the brakes stay on a little longer on inclines and work with the clutch to minimize that rollback. Also, releasing the brake makes the car creep forward like a conventional automatic. Some people suggest it could be putting unexpected stress on the clutch every time it happens, but who knows?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes, 2013s already had it from the factory.

If you were on slight incline and you released the brake, the car would start rolling back - like any other manual car. Also, the car wouldn't roll forward until you pressed the accelerator. I actually preferred this programming - I could pretend I had a manual.

Now the brakes stay on a little longer on inclines and work with the clutch to minimize that rollback. Also, releasing the brake makes the car creep forward like a conventional automatic. Some people suggest it could be putting unexpected stress on the clutch every time it happens, but who knows?
Well that's stupid, they should have at least giving us an option to disable the creep. Wish I could go back to that programming.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah I don't think going from d to n at a stop does anything.. I've noticed if I have my foot lightly pressed on the break it idles higher but if I fully press it, it goes into neutral. I messed with it today actually, because I installed my UMM. Was laughing at the change in cabin vibration lol.
MK3 SLöCUS

Bookmarks & Social Networks