04 SVT sub woofer replacement - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
LiciouzSVT
Focus Addict
 
LiciouzSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83568
Location: Tacoma, WA
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST

Posts: 566
FF Reputation: 1 LiciouzSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)

There is some pics of my setup. Nothing fancy but it makes me happy.
__________________
2003 Screamin' Yellow SVT - Wrecked
2004 Silver SVT- Sold
2013 Performance Blue ST- BEASTY
LiciouzSVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict
 
Sniper Focus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84221
Location: IL, IL
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

Posts: 1,310
FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I was in the same boat last year, I bought this Rockford Fosgate sub under the assumption that it would fit, because someone on here had one and he said it was a direct fit. Of course it was too tall, so I had a spacer made at my old job for free so it was all good.

Last year it was 35 bucks now it sky rocketed to $90
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00


Before I bought a couple of used Pioneer shallows and they sucked, so I flipped them right back on eBay and made a profit.
__________________
Fox Hound: Liquid Stang - Sniper Focus - Decoy Escort (or was it a Tracer...)
Sniper Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic
 
svtguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 13476
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Posts: 2,974
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If you want to retain the stock amp, I would just grab a quality woofer form some place like parts-express. They sell all sorts of stuff, but what I love is their selection of speakers - all sorts of sizes, manufacturer and impedance.

You've probably not heard of most brands they sell, but there is some quality product to be had. I replaced the driver in my Velodyne home theater subwoofer with a Dayton (went from a 6" to an 8") and the sound is impressive for a ~15 year old Velodyne.

Anyway, I'll have to do some research, as without the impedance of the stock sub, it's hard to start to recommend much. However, it's probably a 4-ohm sub from the factory (I would think?), and I doubt the amp does more than 100 watts RMS at that 4-ohms.

That being said, something like this would probably do nicely. If it's and 8-ohm setup from the factory, there's an equivalent Dayton to fit it.

I'd have to dig out my stock SVT sub box and check the sub (impedance, mounting depth and such) to be sure of my recommendations, but for ~$60, the Dayton stuff is hard to beat. The one that I put in my Velodyne home theater sub was the ~$25 one, and it is seriously impressive (I did also replace the passive radiator on the sub, as the original paper one was bottoming out, but still, for less than $50, it's a solid rebuild).

From my experience, most of the "car audio" company's 8" subs are usually lack-luster at best. And they usually seem to be astronomically priced, given their small size.

Just my $0.02


**edit**

If the link to the sub I suggested doesn't work, just go to parts-express and search for 'RS225-4.' For some reason, the direct link doesn't seem to work.
svtguy88 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS
Focus Enthusiast
 
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57177
Location: Howell NJ, NJ
What I Drive: 2004 yellow eap svt, rip 08 ses

Posts: 210
FF Reputation: 2 04 EuRo SvT FoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiciouzSVT View Post

There is some pics of my setup. Nothing fancy but it makes me happy.
I like this set up even with the after market amp. Its small looks like you had to mod the box some though.
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS
Focus Enthusiast
 
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57177
Location: Howell NJ, NJ
What I Drive: 2004 yellow eap svt, rip 08 ses

Posts: 210
FF Reputation: 2 04 EuRo SvT FoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmgarf View Post
If you want to retain the stock amp, I would just grab a quality woofer form some place like parts-express. They sell all sorts of stuff, but what I love is their selection of speakers - all sorts of sizes, manufacturer and impedance.

You've probably not heard of most brands they sell, but there is some quality product to be had. I replaced the driver in my Velodyne home theater subwoofer with a Dayton (went from a 6" to an 8") and the sound is impressive for a ~15 year old Velodyne.

Anyway, I'll have to do some research, as without the impedance of the stock sub, it's hard to start to recommend much. However, it's probably a 4-ohm sub from the factory (I would think?), and I doubt the amp does more than 100 watts RMS at that 4-ohms.

That being said, something like this would probably do nicely. If it's and 8-ohm setup from the factory, there's an equivalent Dayton to fit it.

I'd have to dig out my stock SVT sub box and check the sub (impedance, mounting depth and such) to be sure of my recommendations, but for ~$60, the Dayton stuff is hard to beat. The one that I put in my Velodyne home theater sub was the ~$25 one, and it is seriously impressive (I did also replace the passive radiator on the sub, as the original paper one was bottoming out, but still, for less than $50, it's a solid rebuild).

From my experience, most of the "car audio" company's 8" subs are usually lack-luster at best. And they usually seem to be astronomically priced, given their small size.

Just my $0.02


**edit**

If the link to the sub I suggested doesn't work, just go to parts-express and search for 'RS225-4.' For some reason, the direct link doesn't seem to work.
I believe the stock subwoofer is not car audio grade its more like home theater grade I looked at the site plenty of subs to choose from. In have some thinking to do. And the rs225-4 looks like it may fit.
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS
Focus Enthusiast
 
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57177
Location: Howell NJ, NJ
What I Drive: 2004 yellow eap svt, rip 08 ses

Posts: 210
FF Reputation: 2 04 EuRo SvT FoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-446

Nvm this one is 8 ohms I need 4.
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic
 
svtguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 13476
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Posts: 2,974
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yes, the HiVi that you chose is a an 8 ohm driver. Does anyone know the stock impedance? I hate trying to give advice when I don't know the situation....

That being said, I can almost guarnatee you that *any* sub you buy is going to be hands down better quality than factory.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've never really had a look at the newer Foci subs. I just assume that they are built by the lowest bidder....
svtguy88 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
LiciouzSVT
Focus Addict
 
LiciouzSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83568
Location: Tacoma, WA
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST

Posts: 566
FF Reputation: 1 LiciouzSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EuRo SvT FoCuS View Post
I like this set up even with the after market amp. Its small looks like you had to mod the box some though.
Had to mod it a smidge but nothing too difficult. Just wired it up and made my own little sleeve screwed the sub in and put silicone around the edge so it wouldn't rattle. I like the stock look and the sound is 10x better. I tried to put the amp on top like the stock one but then I couldn't get to the amp adjustment knobs so I just put it on the back of the seat.
__________________
2003 Screamin' Yellow SVT - Wrecked
2004 Silver SVT- Sold
2013 Performance Blue ST- BEASTY
LiciouzSVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS
Focus Enthusiast
 
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57177
Location: Howell NJ, NJ
What I Drive: 2004 yellow eap svt, rip 08 ses

Posts: 210
FF Reputation: 2 04 EuRo SvT FoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmgarf View Post
Yes, the HiVi that you chose is a an 8 ohm driver. Does anyone know the stock impedance? I hate trying to give advice when I don't know the situation....

That being said, I can almost guarnatee you that *any* sub you buy is going to be hands down better quality than factory.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've never really had a look at the newer Foci subs. I just assume that they are built by the lowest bidder....
I believe its 4 ohms I just would like to know what the stock amp is at with RMS and Max watts
04 EuRo SvT FoCuS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic
 
svtguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 13476
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Posts: 2,974
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hard to say. Probably less than 100 watts RMS.
svtguy88 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.