Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #51
Chefocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100478
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Chefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Jaclyn, since you replied in this thread, maybe you can answer this for me:

The other day my MFT did a "scheduled maintenance" reboot. Since then:

-Bluetooth fails to connect to phone about 1/2 of the time (note that the phone pairs for making phone calls, but I stream audiobooks via Bluetooth side I have Audible audio books on my iPhone and that is what is not pairing).

- Blank navigation screens when using voice commands to set navigation (the screen where you select from multiple available options is simply blank, but if I pick a number is will then move to the map screen).

- Voice commands to make phone calls appear to fail, only to suddenly connect a call 30+ seconds later.

- Ended calls show up as active for as much as a minute after hanging up.

- I can no longer pause, fast forward, or rewind my Bluetooth stream from my iPhone. Now where those buttons were is just a box that says "Bluetooth stream detected"

- my thumb drive has been Indexing/Building voice commands for two days. (!)

Should I do a master reset? This happened once before but the problem seemed to fix itself after about a week.

All of these but the last are Bluetooth related. So bizarre though - everything was working fine until the "scheduled maintenance".

Are these common issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
Chefocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100478
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Chefocus Good Standing Member
Did a master reset this morning since the MFT was no longer recognizing my voice. Issues seem to be fixed. I haven't been keeping track, but these occasional "maintenance" reboots seem to screw the system up every time.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #53
Refocus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95535
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Refocus2012 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the help on Syncing my phone because the dealership couldn't do it just 3 weeks ago. My problem now is that Sync has a big problem recognizing my voice. Maybe there is some documentation oh how to get that done, but right now it will not recognize my wife's name, and that is a person, of course, that I am calling regularly. Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #54
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101466
What I Drive: White 2012 SE Sport, Auto, 203A.

FF Reputation: 1 rsilvers Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Ford can't revert to the basic radio and heater/AC controls of old -- the market won't let them, so they have to make MFT work.
Dial controls on the S and SE.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #55
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I think you're dead on with a lot of what you say. With that said, as a first time owner of a DCT, I find it really unintuitive that it should have to 'learn' how to shift, when there is really probably a 95% optimal shifting pattern for the car + engine. So the 'learning' process that everyone is subjected to make everyone think the car is broken especially in the first 'do i love my new car period.'
I just got mine, have under 200 miles on it, and I am unaware of any strange noise or unusual response.

Most of my cars have been manual. I have driven at least the following manual: Chevette, various VW and Audi, Accord, Honda CRX, Mercedes SLK, RX7 Turbo, WRX, STi, BMW 328, BMW 535, 944, Mazda 626, Ford GT, Viper, Ferrari 355, 911 Turbo. Also drove a Ferrari Enzo which was F1 gearbox.

My impression of the Focus DCT was that it was great and an amazing bargain for $1000 considering a DCT is a $4080 option on the Porsche 911.

Like some other poster said - there is no problem with the way the Focus DCT behaves - at least in the latest version - that is not on a Bugatti Veyron or other supercar with a DCT. So deal with it.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #56
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refocus2012 View Post
Maybe there is some documentation oh how to get that done, but right now it will not recognize my wife's name, and that is a person, of course, that I am calling regularly. Thanks again.
Put her name in your phone as something else. I recommend "Wife." It also has the benefit of if someone finds you in a wreck they can use your phone and know who to call in case of an emergency. She would probably not mind it as much as "Ball and Chain."
Old 07-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #57
Refocus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95535
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Refocus2012 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried "wife", and it wouldn't recognize that either. It would recognize some, but not others, and I tried numerous times. The Ford rep helped me get my car "synced", and I hope the Ford rep can help me make the voice recognition work better.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #58
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Just make sure you take a really long test drive, maybe renting one for the weekend, before you buy. The DCT is a different animal, even when it's working as intended. Mine (after 2 software updates) is great at speed but a little clumsy around town.

There's a tendency here to blame expectations of the user for dissatisfaction with the DCT. Don't buy that explanation - make up your own mind. Ford seems to working diligently on the problem, but they aren't there yet. Will they ever be? Maybe.
Agreed. Software updates did come out, with 12B37 getting everyone to the same level.

Ford has replaced transmissions as well.

I recall reading some warranties were extended.

Those are all good signs to me.

Mine still, rarely, has low-idle shutter or idle->accelerate roughness but it's minor and some manual transmissions have these issues. And, as everyone else mentions "the noise", people with other brands have mentioned it for theirs and it's just a noise. It's not gotten any louder nor is shifting between 1->2 any worse than it ever was.

I wouldn't worry, and in the past I had.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #59
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
I've had my Focus since Sept 2011 and have put approx 20,000 miles on it. Before this car, I had a 2007 Honda Civic. That was a fine car, but I believe the Focus is more refined, although the transmission on the Civic was more conventional that what is on the Focus. I've had all the updates done on the car and I couldn't be more happy with it. As has been said a number of times in this thread, the DCT is a different animal than a conventional automatic. Because this is my first automatic car, I wasn't too annoyed with the tranny even before the updates. In fact, my first impression when driving the car was 'Boy, this feels like a manual transmission, especially at low speeds and when idle'. As long as you know that comparing the tranny on this car with others is like comparing apples to oranges then your expectations will be adjusted accordingly. Although my preference has been (and always will be) to get a manual transmission, this DCT in the Focus is not bad (especially when you put it on Sport mode or shift it on your own, its actually quite fun).

I can't speak on MFT since my car doesn't have it. I have the MyFord and Sync option and I still get errors with my ipod classic wherein my computer will say the ipod is "indexing" or that "voice command is not available with this device". That is annoying. If Ford introduces App Link with the My Ford / Sync system (they plan on doing this with MFT but it is not clear to me they plan on doing it with us non-MFT owners), I'm hoping they will introduce an menu option were we can clear the buffer so that we will not have to pull the fuse every time these known errors occur.

Also, I do have the sport tuned suspension like in the Titanium but I have not experienced the knocking noise.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #60
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
Dial controls on the S and SE.
Yeah, of course a lower model will not have the same features as a premium model. Ford, like all car makers differentiate the lower from the higher models, nothing new here. Are you implying that Ford should not offer a premium model Focus?

Ford will offer base models with limited features like basic AC controls but do you think they would sell many FF Ti if they only had a basic radio and basic AC controls? The profit margin for base models is really low and, like all other car makers, Ford makes better margins with the premium models. Take away the premium models and Ford loses money premium money!

Brian

Sent from my SCH-I815 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks