Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
FFR_1574
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86726
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch On Order

FF Reputation: 1 FFR_1574 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have just over 17,000 miles on my Focus 5drTi, my car was built Aug 2011. I've had no issues with my DCT although I has been reflashed. I did have a steering issue which was in a TSB, dealer fixed it. The dealer while doing the test drive on the steering rack issue noticed the spring/clunk issue that I hadn't really notice and whenI went to pick the car they said that they have ordered the parts and they call me when they came in.

The MFT had it's issues, it seemed to lockup the most while listening to Sirius SAT Radio. The fix was to my a quick stop, in th 10,000 or so mile I had the older version I locked up 7 times. Since the MFT reflash not once.

I had a 2005 Focus ST before this that saved my life. This car is much better and I really like my ST. This car is faster, gets better mileage, quieter and has much more features. Added bonus my tires are still silent compare to my ST, I could keep a set of tire on that car past 12,000 miles the noise was killer, changed brands, alignments etc wouldn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
OP, you're no doubt picking up the general theme of these comments. One of the messages is if your planned use will include lots of heavy traffic driving (big city, congested commute, etc.), a Focus with the DCT may not be the least-frustrating choice. On the other hand, if most driving is suburban/smaller town/rural, the Focus could be a winner.

I have the DCT version and, when a drive into the big city during rush hour is on the agenda, I take a different car. And my DCT is reasonably well-behaved.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
A question for those having major problems with MFT: is the SD card slot populated?

The first thing I did when I brought my new Focus home was fill up an SD card with tunes and plug it in. The MFT (v3.02) had major issues such as intermittent lockups/reboots and it always seemed to be indexing even though I had cleaned up the collection with Sync My iTunes. I even tried removing all but a couple dozen songs.

This went on for a month until I moved those same two dozen songs to a thumb-drive and took the SD card out of the car permanently. It worked so well I was able to gradually added my whole collection back. I still experience a minor glitch once in awhile such as the Sirius presets going blank, but it's been pretty stable since. I don't have NAV by the way.

That was my experience anyway.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
DudleyF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101203
What I Drive: 2002 Civic, 2007 Outback LLBean

FF Reputation: 1 DudleyF Good Standing Member
Many, many thanks to all who responded with their opinions and/or experiences. The wealth of responses was very impressive, and if anything has strengthened my interest in the new Focus.

sleepyboy: THANK YOU for moving my post, and my apologies if I transgressed any rules or policies with posting in the technical forum. Judging by the massive uptick in response afterwards you definitely helped me out my improving visibility of my post and the responses I received.

Funny story to all: after reading the comments my interest only increased, and I decided after work Thursday (the 12th) to go drive one a third time. Well, on the way there my Civic DIED. I knew what it was right off, as first the battery idiot light came on, then the radio died, then the entire instrument cluster went out, then the car started sputtering. Obviously this pointed to the alternator, and I was running purely off of battery, and just managed to get it into the Ford dealer's visitor parking lot.

I had to leave it there and let the Ford dealership fix it and rent a car from them overnight. Alas they had no Foci for rent (only a Nissan Altima), so since I was there anyway I test drove another Titanium. This dealer had a very hilly lot and I was able to try out the DCT starting out on steep hills - forward and in reverse. Drove it around town and on the highway. I found the hill hold fine, and the low-speed behavior no issue as well. Perhaps as other have also said I am calibrated a little different by having driven manuals for so many decades. I did not find the behavior especially rough, and the only ďclunkĒ I could hear was when rolling very slow to a stop with the windows down there was a noticeable thunk when dropping below about 3 or 4 mph, which I attributed to the clutches disengaging. I could not even hear it with the windows up. So long as this tranny proves dependable for the long haul I donít necessarily see an issue with it.

Oh, and to those who suggested a manual to avoid the DCT altogether; alas, my wife cannot drive MTs, and I lean toward auto for my commuter anyway as the highway I drive on is a main artery and always backs up, so I end up doing a lot of stop and go, the only environment where I hated driving an MT. I tried to simulate such an environment for the Ford DCT, and found its response acceptable. I could occasionally trip it up doing a decelerate, then off the brake and back on the gas, and maybe back on the brake and gas again, which would confuse it, but no more or worse than Iíve seen any traditional automatics get in the wrong gear under the same conditions.

Now I will wait for the incentives to go up a little higher before jumping. I am long-time engineer in the automation industry, so I get supplier discounts to most of the major automakers (X Plan in the case of Ford), so my purchase cost is mostly fixed and quite low without the need to haggle. I know last winter Ford had a $2,500 rebate on the Focus, and as I get rebates too I will sit tight until these come back. I intend on ordering since I have a very specific color combination and option line up in mind (Sterling Gray with the black / Tuscany red leather interior) that I have not seen anywhere on the lots, so Iíll need to go right on the quarter start when the rebates increase (I believe you get the rebates in place when you take delivery, not order it, so I need to factor in the lag for building and shipping).
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #35
WV_TI
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96205
What I Drive: 2012 St. Gry Met Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 WV_TI Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
A question for those having major problems with MFT: is the SD card slot populated?

The first thing I did when I brought my new Focus home was fill up an SD card with tunes and plug it in. The MFT (v3.02) had major issues such as intermittent lockups/reboots and it always seemed to be indexing even though I had cleaned up the collection with Sync My iTunes. I even tried removing all but a couple dozen songs.

This went on for a month until I moved those same two dozen songs to a thumb-drive and took the SD card out of the car permanently. It worked so well I was able to gradually added my whole collection back. I still experience a minor glitch once in awhile such as the Sirius presets going blank, but it's been pretty stable since. I don't have NAV by the way.

That was my experience anyway.
I use a 32 gig SD card with no issues (v3.02). I just exported all my music from Itunes to it, and it has been rock solid.
As for the rest of the car (04/11/11 build), I have had a few things, steering wander, DCT problems. All were corrected by the dealer, and overall,I am quite happy with the TI now.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Personally, I have an five door, SE five speed with just Sync installed. Sync responds perfectly to my voice even with the windows down. Only thing is, i think my A/C unit isn't fully charged properly, so I better take that into the dealer for a look.

My girlfriend has a five door Ti. Right now, the DCT is getting terrible mileage. Now, it's about 24 in the city with about 400 miles on the clock. She accelerates to about 2500 rpm before the car shifts. I told her to back off the throttle to 2000 rpm. Could it be a break in period? I don't know. Give me light on that subject.

The MFT was bad in the beginning. Didn't recognize names, artists, or pretty much anything. Now, through some miracle (or update in the last week?) the car responds perfectly. How? Don't know.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #37
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
Personally, I have an five door, SE five speed with just Sync installed. Sync responds perfectly to my voice even with the windows down. Only thing is, i think my A/C unit isn't fully charged properly, so I better take that into the dealer for a look.

My girlfriend has a five door Ti. Right now, the DCT is getting terrible mileage. Now, it's about 24 in the city with about 400 miles on the clock. She accelerates to about 2500 rpm before the car shifts. I told her to back off the throttle to 2000 rpm. Could it be a break in period? I don't know. Give me light on that subject.

The MFT was bad in the beginning. Didn't recognize names, artists, or pretty much anything. Now, through some miracle (or update in the last week?) the car responds perfectly. How? Don't know.
DCTs don't like city driving anyways and 400 miles is too early to say, if ts still 24mpg in city after 1000 miles then take it to the dealer and see what's up.

Personally I did a lot of city and sat at 28mpg as far as that went. Would break 35 easily on highway use.

Apart from the fact that my Ti is awaiting it's fate as a parts car/being recycled it gave me no issues. Not the MFT. Not the DCT. Nothing. It's why I loved it so much, it just worked day in and day out.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #38
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
I think there are a bunch of issues here:

MFT/SYNC: Do you want these features? They aren't going to ever work as well as your ipad, so know that before you get it.

DCT: Mine is shifting a lot better after flashes but makes a grinding noise that just sounds wrong. Evidently, it is 'as designed'. My guess is that in later revisions of that tranny, they fixed it so it works 'as designed' without the grinding.

Rest of car: is just plane great. It's a great car. It handles really well. It is really quiet, it gets fantastic mpg. It stops well, it zips. It's fun. It can fit a lot of stuff.

I have the SE sport model and overall I really like it. I will probably sell it before the warranty runs out because I don't believe a tranny that grinds will last.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I think there are a bunch of issues here:

MFT/SYNC: Do you want these features? They aren't going to ever work as well as your ipad, so know that before you get it.

DCT: Mine is shifting a lot better after flashes but makes a grinding noise that just sounds wrong. Evidently, it is 'as designed'. My guess is that in later revisions of that tranny, they fixed it so it works 'as designed' without the grinding.

Rest of car: is just plane great. It's a great car. It handles really well. It is really quiet, it gets fantastic mpg. It stops well, it zips. It's fun. It can fit a lot of stuff.

I have the SE sport model and overall I really like it. I will probably sell it before the warranty runs out because I don't believe a tranny that grinds will last.
I don't think Ford has any choice but to keep working on MFT -- it's too important to Ford's place in the modern car market for them to give up.

On the DCT thing ... it's likely that Ford either improved the assembly process or some of the components since the earlier cars and the newer ones have fewer of these problems. My car makes NO unusual noise during shifts and shifts very nicely indeed and mine was built on 5/7/12. Since it looks like you have an earlier build date you may have issues that Ford doesn't think they need to address.

I think Ford has no choice but to continue to refine the DCT and at this point it's getting to be pretty decent. Not great but decent. I do hope that Ford makes good on all the earlier cars that have issues but that is less certain than pushing forward to make the DCT better for new cars...

Brian
Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I don't think Ford has any choice but to keep working on MFT -- it's too important to Ford's place in the modern car market for them to give up.

On the DCT thing ... it's likely that Ford either improved the assembly process or some of the components since the earlier cars and the newer ones have fewer of these problems. My car makes NO unusual noise during shifts and shifts very nicely indeed and mine was built on 5/7/12. Since it looks like you have an earlier build date you may have issues that Ford doesn't think they need to address.

I think Ford has no choice but to continue to refine the DCT and at this point it's getting to be pretty decent. Not great but decent. I do hope that Ford makes good on all the earlier cars that have issues but that is less certain than pushing forward to make the DCT better for new cars...

Brian

MFT is 3rd in my honest opinion behind BMWs iDrive and Audi's MMI taking first place in terms of usability and features. COMAND from Mercedes is....well....outdated and mundane and not befitting the type of vehicles they put it in.

DCT? For most people here not only might it be their first 6 speed car but it is more than likely that this is their first DCT.

Dual clutch, direct shift, automated manual; different names same thing. These gearboxes were bred on the racetrack. They were inherently designed, mechanical engineering folks, to shift like beauties at speed.

Software will only do so much to fix the mechanical design of the gearbox. That roughness is present in our 25k hatchback all the way up to half a million dollar supercars.

You can't wish smoothness on these. Impossible. Even VWs DSG boxes are rough at low speed. Boxes that need I remind anyone are also sitting in Audis too.

If you want smoothness? Grab the manual. Make your own smoothness. 5 speed or 6 if you get a ST. Or tell ford to grab some more of their old 6 speed slushboxes or pony up for ZF 8 speeds (the only torque converter automatics that don't entirely suck).

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks