Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Probably never...there are always glitches to fix, tweaks to be made, AppLink's to be added. You get my drift.
HN #167
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Revelations
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101027
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
The car I got rid of for the 2012 Focus was actually a 2000 Civic, not sure when my Focus was built, but it was May or June sometime.

Anyway, as far as the transmission goes, it was a little clunky at first, but after I hit about 1000 miles it smoothed out a lot. The reason it took so long was because like you, I drive over 100 miles a day, and it's all highway, meaning the transmission doesn't shift as much, taking longer to smooth out.

MFT is fine with my car. It has choked up a few times, but nothing major at all, I feel one more light update will work all those clinks out. I think most of the problems from it occur when you try to change stuff to quickly, like going from screen to screen, stuff like that.

Overall it's a great car, I chose it over the 2012 Civic because I do find it nicer, and more comfortable, and more power too. As far as quality, Ford has been getting much better in recent years, while Honda has been dragging down a bit (though, it is still very good).
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I can't say "do this or do that because it is going to be great". Because I am not a future teller. But, what can I say from my experience since now with my FF with MFT and DCT are the following:

- DCT is another kind of a beast. For me, owning only manuals till now, it was not hard to accomodate and learn how to drive it. For those who expect a DCT to act as a slush-box, well, it doesn't. You have to learn driving it. If you can't, don't buy a car with a DCT. So my advice would be to test drive it good. And use it in every single situation you might imagine (if possible - rent one for the week-end). As for the DCT "noise", it might help to read this --> http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon.../pdf/2DPS6.pdf

- MFT is not a perfect system, it has its glitches but 95% of the time, for me, it was great. Yes, it has problems when asking the computer for French street names but I can live with it. Yes, if you have a phone that uses BT for streaming music and an iPod that is USB connected, and you switch from one to another and add the radio or Sirius into the picture, yes the system sometimes might become instable (as some say: "scr...ed"). If you are not the geek who wants everything perfect and the most complicated, the best, if you are a normal guy, you have 90% of chances to be MFT problems free.
I have the last MFT update and I love it now, even though I was not very pleased with the downgrade Ford did to it.

- No one can tell you that the FF will last "troubles-free" for the next 150 000 miles. I know I can't say it. If I look at the experience I had with my last car, a 2001 Mercury Cougar that I drove for more than 100 000 miles, I can say that after the 80 000 miles mark, things comme to an end of life. Not very expensive though, if the catalyseur is not involved. If you are carefull with the car, it can serve you well. After 11 years of time served, I had to let it go because the onboard computer crushed and to replace it was more than the car's value on the market. So I traded it in for the FF. And I am very happy with it, at almost 22 000 km mark. It does feel almost like my Cougar on "curvy roads". THAT car was a beast on the serpentines.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.

Last edited by VOLDAR; 07-11-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
The MFT has been pretty decent in my Focus. There are a few glitches now and then but I know how to work around them. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8 in it's current state. I'd rather have it than not.

The DCT can be both a blessing and a curse. As others have mentioned, it's fine when the car is moving faster than 20-25 MPH but a bit lethargic around town or any type of stop and go traffic. Forget about accelerating quickly from a slow roll, it doesn't respond very well at low speed most of the time. Sport shift mode is the way to go in these situations.

With that said, I really really love this car and still wouldn't trade it for anything else in this class. Maybe another Focus with the 5MT but I am on the fence about that because I'd rather have an auto.

I think Ford will get things ironed out, but it will take more than software updates to correct the low speed issues with the DCT.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
samegate
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101230
What I Drive: 2012 race red focus hb

FF Reputation: 1 samegate Good Standing Member
Hi folks , first post have been lurking for awhile tho. Just bought wife a 2012 focus,and thought I would throw my 2 cents worth out. Stying and comfort wize this car is hard to beat for the money. Working at a GM and CHRY. dealership i have spent a lot of time in both makes and dont think there is a better one in either camp at the same price.W dont have new dart yet , but training classes lead me to favor focus and after having spent 1200 miles in a loaded cruze I vote for the focus. I am not a ford person and my thoughts about the build quality will show that. I would say in ours, not as good as chevy or dodge nor as good as my toyo DD. That said part of it is the ford do it our way or no way attitude.
Case in point; a door that doesnt fit right at bottom,seat back cover that wont stay on and a couple of trim pieces that dont fit right. All but the door I feel will be easily taken care of by warranty. I am at about 85% on the MFT and think it will get better; early onstar voice recognition was much worse. In our case, the trans. suits us just fine, after wife learned what it is and how it should act. All in all, the first 500+ miles have been fine: so to me ford has pretty much got the new focus "fixed" already.It is what it is ;relatively inexpensive mass produced car built to a price point.Wife is very happy, so therefore I am happy. BTW, many(not all) of our warranty concerns are from the customer and not the cars- just an opinion mind you as we all (self included) worry over and fuss about cars.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Agreed and if I may on the DCT issue...

These are automated manuals. 2 traditional manual boxes put together. This has no clutch that you push, but it is still there.

No torque converters here - no smoothness that you are used to from a traditional crap box.

It will NEVER be as smooth as a automatic at low speeds. The only time a DCT is smoother is at speed or on a track. Its what the DCT is best at. Even VAGs boxes suffer from the same issues (the same ones Audi uses need I remind you) and even supercars with SMG/DCT boxes just suck at low speeds. If those can't get it right, I'm not sweating it that our 25k economy car can't either.

In fact the ONLY torque converter automatic I know of that is actually decent to use and isn't dimwitted is the ZF series of gearboxes, the 8 speed specifically. Given that we aren't all buying BMW 5 series and Audi A6s; let us settle for what we have. What we have is a pretty sophisticated and advanced gearbox in our cars; that alone is something to be happy for.

MFT?

Yes, it has its issues. Sync's original version was far superior. Less flash, but it worked.

I understand why Ford needed to upgrade the look. Just look at iDrive right now, MMI too. Mercedes and their COMAND system is that outdated so no point mentioning them either.

They should have baked it a bit more and the update we received is what should've been released with but all things considered?

Put it this way, MFT as it is right now is still better in terms of user experience than even iDrive. Only in the current generation has iDrive stopped being a miserable pile of crap to use. Audi's MMI is always better I think, maybe Ford should use them as a in-car entertainment benchmark

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #17
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100622
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan Focus Man.

FF Reputation: 1 Quantos Good Standing Member
Another option is to buy the car without the auto transmission or MFT ^_^

That's what I did and it immediately scratches the two biggest complaints people, and reviewers, have about the car. I don't mind the lack of MFT (even if it was working fine, that is), and I prefer a MT car anyway.

Of course, that is all a matter of opinion!

As far as build quality goes, I'm probably not as picky as some people here, I must say I didn't inspect every inches to make sure everything was aligned properly... I guess I could do that at some point for statistics' sake. That said, I have no complaints with what I do see right now. The car behaves very well on the road, it very comfy, and pretty economical on gas.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #18
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
MFT may be a similar thing... I think the fact that many of the late adopters have had few issues while some/many of the early adopters are still having huge problems in spite of the fact that the software should be the same for everyone. And, since some of the early adopters have required the replacement of the APIM to resolve there problems suggests to me that either there was some bad hardware in the early cars or the early software is hosing the hardware. I have no way of knowing which of the two is more likely or if both is the case. It is certainly possible that the early software so badly managed the storage (flash memory) that it damaged it and now the APIM needs to be replaced to fix it. I just don't know...
For what it's worth, I've had just as many problems (more, actually) since the new APIM was installed.

I think the real issue is that - even with a new APIM - something is stored somewhere in the system that is *not* truly or fully wiped with a re-installation. Seems as though most people on here with a happy MFT system bought their car with v3.0.2 installed at the factory. My car's a 12/2011 build and had MFT v2.11 when I bought it at the beginning of January.

Just wanted to comment on your point about faulty h/w.

-----------------------------------------

MFT aside, I love most things about this car. And I'm in the same boat as the OP (though I'm already an owner) in that I keep cars for a long time - 10 years is the goal with the Focus. So, for my own sake if nothing else, I sure hope Ford fixes everything and I'm not up a creek once the warranty runs out!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
We have had our Titanium since March, and now have a bit over 7,000 miles on it. We really like the car in general, and have no need or expectation that Ford should do anything further whatsoever.

Having said that, if I could have my way, I would rip out the entire dash board and start over with all the displays and controls. MFT would be the first thing I would dump. We long for the day of simple knobs and switches. But we perhaps are Luddites.

Anyhow, be SURE to test drive your potential Focus AFTER DARK. You may find, like us, that the glare of the SYNC and the MFT displays are so overwhelming after dark, that any night vision you might ever hope to have is completely GONE!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
SG Noodles
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100158
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metallic SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 SG Noodles Good Standing Member
Add me to the 'my last car was a CiviC' club. My last car was a 2008 Civic. I actually think that it was a superior generation to the current CiviC in both looks and feel. I was shortlisted between the new CiviC and the new Focus, and everything from ride to the quality of the interior swayed me to the Ford. I can't complain about my Civic at all, aside from a set of tires and oil/filter changes, the most work I put into that car was touching up a rock chip (because some dumb*ss thought it would be cool to spin the tires of his truck in the mall parking lot). The interior styling and quality of the Focus is incomparable with most cars in it's class/price range, far and above them all. I like the DCT, though I admit it took some getting used to, and I can't comment on MFT because I don't have it.
17" Alloy Mach/Paint Wheel
Sync

Bookmarks & Social Networks