Any interest in headlight modifications? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #91
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I love Corrado's. Before I got to my first duty station (Fort Leonard Wood) I bought a 1990 VW Corrado G60. What a fun car. The Supercharger whine was intoxicating.
I used to live off post (Plato) and on post at Ft. Leonard Wood! I lived off a street called Hatler up the street from the Post Pool. My old man was a Sarge, Engineer. Small world.

I had an SLC, because those chargers require a lot of work!!! I'm sure you remember how dark those fluted headlights were at night! That retrofit was a must.
Great work btw, I plan on putting some HIDs in my focus sometime down the road.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #92
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
I used to live off post (Plato) and on post at Ft. Leonard Wood! I lived off a street called Hatler up the street from the Post Pool. My old man was a Sarge, Engineer. Small world.

I had an SLC, because those chargers require a lot of work!!! I'm sure you remember how dark those fluted headlights were at night! That retrofit was a must.
Great work btw, I plan on putting some HIDs in my focus sometime down the road.
Thanks!

Yeah. I didn't have it very long so I didn't get to experience any maintenance with the charger. But I have heard of some of the problems. Those headlights were horrible though. Yeah, Hatler is still there, they remodeled that area about 2 years ago, before I left. I was in a Engineer Battalion, I am not a Engineer though.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #93
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Those look FANTASTIC! Excellent work.
Thanks I appreciate it!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #94
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks!
I was in a Engineer Battalion, I am not a Engineer though.
Yeah, that's what I meant as well. Last Corrado memory in this thread, I swear.
How terrible were those windshield wipers!? hahaha smearing rain around. I had to install GTI blades.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #95
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Thanks! The gap isn't too bad. I was worried too, but once I got it together, its barely noticeable. The material the reflector is made of is very dense. Most reflectors in cars you have to be careful with because the silver will flake off if you even touch it, but not these, I am sure you could beat someone with these and it would be fine.
Interesting about the reflectors. Thanks for mentioning that, as I would never have thought they were. Like you, I've never come across any that were very dense.

Now that I know that, if I do go the retrofit route, I'll probably just do it your way instead of trying to mount the Lexus RX-AFS Stage III Kit into a reflector that's designed to withstand a nuclear attack (kidding of course).

Perhaps blacking out the reflector and the back of the projector would make it more to my liking... or it may make the gap more noticeable...

There's also the option of painting the shrouds black. That might draw attention away and add more black (which is what I personally am after). So many options...

BTW, I also wanted to commend you on your LED design. It's the only one I've seen so far that actually looks like it could have come from the factory. I won't be adding any, as I don't have the desire, but nice job.

Too bad you have to do it over though :(
Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #96
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
I wonder how it would look to put the LED strip on the back side of the shroud. It could provide a nice subtle effect without exposing the actual light source. EL wire might work too.

Also, is that a titanium shroud or did you paint it?

edit: nevermind, you painted it.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #97
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
Pretty slick Craig. Not sure how I feel about the LEDs. My guess is the pictures do no justice. I'll have to find out when I head that way.

Sent from my MB860 using FF Mobile
Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #98
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
Interesting about the reflectors. Thanks for mentioning that, as I would never have thought they were. Like you, I've never come across any that were very dense.

Now that I know that, if I do go the retrofit route, I'll probably just do it your way instead of trying to mount the Lexus RX-AFS Stage III Kit into a reflector that's designed to withstand a nuclear attack (kidding of course).

Perhaps blacking out the reflector and the back of the projector would make it more to my liking... or it may make the gap more noticeable...

There's also the option of painting the shrouds black. That might draw attention away and add more black (which is what I personally am after). So many options...

BTW, I also wanted to commend you on your LED design. It's the only one I've seen so far that actually looks like it could have come from the factory. I won't be adding any, as I don't have the desire, but nice job.

Too bad you have to do it over though :(
Thanks! Thats what I was trying to achieve for the LED's. These headlights had the gears in my head going as far as the options I was gonna go with. I thought about blacking out the reflector, but I think the Ti headlights look cool with a subtle touch of chrome. I think an all black headlight would look cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
I wonder how it would look to put the LED strip on the back side of the shroud. It could provide a nice subtle effect without exposing the actual light source. EL wire might work too.

Also, is that a titanium shroud or did you paint it?

edit: nevermind, you painted it.
The shrouds I used actually have a place that you can attach some CCFL or LED Angel Eye rings. The Retrofit Source sells them both, they also sell a "Smoked" Shroud that has a diffuser for the LED/CCFL Ring that is about the same size as my shroud. Personally I would go with the LED rings because they don't require an Inverter like the CCFL's do.

Super Bright LED's sell the rings too, you just have to know the size. They are cheaper from Super Bright LED's too. I looked into EL Wire because that stuff is pretty cool, but everywhere I could find it had to either come from China and shipping took forever or it came in spools when I only needed a few feet at the most. I was going to use the LED rings and LED Brow, but I figured it would look too busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoy2k View Post
Pretty slick Craig. Not sure how I feel about the LEDs. My guess is the pictures do no justice. I'll have to find out when I head that way.

Sent from my MB860 using FF Mobile
Thanks! LED's might not be in there by the time you see it.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #99
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The shrouds I used actually have a place that you can attach some CCFL or LED Angel Eye rings. The Retrofit Source sells them both, they also sell a "Smoked" Shroud that has a diffuser for the LED/CCFL Ring that is about the same size as my shroud. Personally I would go with the LED rings because they don't require an Inverter like the CCFL's do.

Super Bright LED's sell the rings too, you just have to know the size. They are cheaper from Super Bright LED's too. I looked into EL Wire because that stuff is pretty cool, but everywhere I could find it had to either come from China and shipping took forever or it came in spools when I only needed a few feet at the most. I was going to use the LED rings and LED Brow, but I figured it would look too busy.
Okay I think I was using the wrong name. What I meant by "shroud" was the large plastic piece that you mounted your LED strip on. I guess the reflector housing?

My idea was to put a white EL strip or LED strip on the back side of where you mounted the LED strip, in such a way that the light shines down from there. That way you have the same "brow" effect without the actual light source being exposed. It seems from pictures that it would work, but maybe not. I guess I'll just have to try it some day.

When I put angel eyes on my Cougar, I got CCFL rings from xoxide.com. I bought 80mm CCFL case fans and pulled the CCFL out. That might be a good source if you are ever looking for things like that, and they have EL wire and EL strip too but I've never tried to buy any.

All that aside, the projector retrofit is pretty awesome it is now very high on my to-do list.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #100
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Are there any more daytime photos of the headlights? I'm trying to decide whether or not to paint the low-beam multireflector and back portion of the projector black, leaving the rest all chrome.

Thanks!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.