'13 HB wind noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'13 HB wind noise

Anybody have issues with increasing wind noise from windows at highway speeds? It seemed like after I got my windows tinted I had a little more wind noise coming in. Then yesterday I got a hand wash and noise is much worse and annoying. I can hear cars go by on freeway on both driver and passenger side more so than in the first few hundred miles of car. It sounds like a window is cracked or door not shut. I've looked at seal around windows and everything looks fine. It's become as noisy as my 2003 corolla which I know has bad seals from drive-thru car washes. I'll probably take it in to have Ford look at, just wondering. This is supposed to be a really quiet car and it's not so quiet anymore after 1,500 miles. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
I_go_for_Gs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113640
What I Drive: 2013 White SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 I_go_for_Gs Good Standing Member
Did you watch the tech that installed the tint? Some cars have an extra rubber/silicone weather seal and most tint'rs will cut one of the seals to get the tint to cover more of the window. When I brought in my '09 Astra, the tech did just that and I questioned him when he cut the first one. He said not to worry as the car came with three and this one is redundant. Sure enough, on the drive home on the freeway, the car had more road noise. It was really noticeable when passing Semi's. I just lived with it because that car was like my new '13 Focus, way too quiet for my taste, so I actually like the extra road noise.

If this is what happened, the best way to fix it would be to order factory weather seals and re-install. That would be a PITA though.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Or take it back to the tint shop and raise hell.

I asked you to tint my vehicle.. not decimate it.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If it's not the tint I can tell you from first hand experience that one of the mk3's the dealer had me test drive had substantially more wind noise inside the cabin than mine did. Even my fiance' in the back commented on how much louder that car was than mine. Both cars were identical-13' mk3, hatch, 5-speed, with one exception being that the test vehicle only had 20 miles on it to my 2,0xx miles.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post
Anybody have issues with increasing wind noise from windows at highway speeds?...
Hi Von551,

Have you brought this to the attention of your dealership so they can check it out? Keep me in the loop moving forward; if you have any questions, just let me know. :)

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_go_for_Gs View Post
Did you watch the tech that installed the tint? Some cars have an extra rubber/silicone weather seal and most tint'rs will cut one of the seals to get the tint to cover more of the window. When I brought in my '09 Astra, the tech did just that and I questioned him when he cut the first one. He said not to worry as the car came with three and this one is redundant. Sure enough, on the drive home on the freeway, the car had more road noise. It was really noticeable when passing Semi's. I just lived with it because that car was like my new '13 Focus, way too quiet for my taste, so I actually like the extra road noise.

If this is what happened, the best way to fix it would be to order factory weather seals and re-install. That would be a PITA though.
Is this seriously another thing I need to worry about with tint? How do I make sure they DONT do that? I guess specifically ask about it?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
I_go_for_Gs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113640
What I Drive: 2013 White SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 I_go_for_Gs Good Standing Member
Yes, you have to ask what is the shops policy on tint install. The tech that did mine was recommended by the dealer. He did all the dealer installed tint for the local Honda. Toyota, GM, and Ford.

I never knew to ask that question back in 2009, but once he started cutting the first weather seal, it was kinda too late. When I was there, 3 car jockeys dropped off 5 cars to get the tints, so those owners never had a chance to find out if their weather seals were cut off.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yes, you have to ask what is the shops policy on tint install. The tech that did mine was recommended by the dealer. He did all the dealer installed tint for the local Honda. Toyota, GM, and Ford.

I never knew to ask that question back in 2009, but once he started cutting the first weather seal, it was kinda too late. When I was there, 3 car jockeys dropped off 5 cars to get the tints, so those owners never had a chance to find out if their weather seals were cut off.
Ill have to I really want to get tint because it gets hot in there sitting in the sun and I want to save to interior as best I can but I for sure dont want them cutting stuff up.....
Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Did you watch the tech that installed the tint? Some cars have an extra rubber/silicone weather seal and most tint'rs will cut one of the seals to get the tint to cover more of the window.
Which weather seal are we talking about here, exactly? The shop that does my tint has never cut a seal to my knowledge, and if they did I would hang 'em high.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
dloulou8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 165658
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 dloulou8 Good Standing Member
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but my driver side window makes a whistling noise like its cracked open a little bit. Im just wondering if you ever found out/fixed what the issue was, since I am dealing with it right now. Its not really loud, its just annoying hearing it while driving. Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->